Green Lantern: Rebirth by Geoff Johns

Green Lantern: Rebirth (2005)

by Geoff Johns

This was my first ever exposure to Green Lantern lore, and it was pretty good. I learned a little about the power of the ring, etc. The art is damn good in this! ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
If you're really into Green Lantern and the mythos, I guess you might really enjoy this book. However, it's often recommended as a "great place to start" with Green Lantern as it's something of a "reboot".

Well, it's not. What it actually is is Geoff Johns doing a very impressive job of synthesizing the convoluted continuity of Green Lantern into a cohesive single continuity. This is very well done, but if you're not really into all of that continuity, this book is really just page after page after page of dialogue in which characters explain "what actually happened here was all along!" to justify everything. A 6-issue retcon, so if you're not all pissed off about Hal Jordan becoming Parallax and all that stuff, there won't be much to enjoy here.

It's barely even a story, it's really more of a meta-narrative about Green Lantern the comic itself. ( )
  rodhilton | Nov 14, 2014 |
Johns' writing has gotten much better as he's gotten older; for a moment in comics that is so important, the writing in this collection is fairly awful. ( )
  JWarren42 | Oct 10, 2013 |
Although I'm mostly a Marvel fan, I've been trying to get into DC Comics for a while now (mainly so I'll have more comics to read, since I tend to devour them so quickly). I figured that this would be a good place to jump into Green Lantern. Well...I'm not sure.

There was a lot of stuff thrown at the reader at once. I know that this is an attempt to get Hal Jordan back into favor in the DC Universe, so a lot of continuity is almost a must to please the fanboys. But it makes getting into the character quite a chore.

Plus I really didn't find myself liking the character of Hal Jordan much at all. He's cocky and something of a jerk; at least, that's how it felt in this comic.

I'm not giving up on Green Lantern quite yet; I'll be picking up some more issues and hoping that I can get into the series by sheer force of will. But I really didn't think that this is worthy of all of the rave reviews that it's received in the comic book world. Maybe if I had been a Green Lantern fan from the beginning, or at least for decades, I'd feel differently. But comic book writers really need to have some jumping on points for new fans, too, if they want to attract new readers. ( )
  schatzi | May 7, 2011 |
An overblown masturbatory retcon set to bring the original iconic character. Though as retcons go, it wasn't all that bad. Just a bit over congratulatory and self indulgent. ( )
1 vote timothyl33 | Apr 15, 2011 |

Geoff Johnsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baumann, MooseColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leigh, RobLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sciver, Ethan VanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Bestselling writer Johns revitalizes Green Lantern and sets the stage for "Blackest Night" in this collection of issues #1-6. Longtime readers will thrill at seeing one of the DC Universe's best mythologies begin to return to its former glory. Originally published in single magazine form as Wizard X, Green Lantern: rebirth 1-6.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,131,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible