A Ride on Mother's Back: A Day of Baby…

A Ride on Mother's Back: A Day of Baby Carrying around the World

by Emery Bernhard

Summary: This book starts with how babies need to be carried around while their parents work to keep them fed. And how all over the world parents keep their children close to them no matter what it takes or what they are doing. It shows how children are held differently all over the world in Guatemala a child is kept close in cloth against its mother. And in Bali the children are carried in slings while their mothers balance baskets on their heads. This book continues all over the world with situations just like the ones listed.

Reaction: I like this book it shows the differences and the similarities all over the world no matter how young or old a child they are cared for and loved in the same manner. And the mothers continue on with normal lives.

Extensions:
Cultural lessons would be a must I think in elementary classes it would be to have moms come in and talk about their cultures.
Diversity in class would help with extension idea number one even a child in class who has a new brother or sister it could be shown how they are carried like in the book.
  VictoriaHernandez | Mar 27, 2014 |
This book is about how mothers carry their children on their back through out the day. It shows how each part of the world, the mothers carry it differently. Some on their shoulders and some in their hips.

Personal reaction:

I think this book is great for learning different cultures. Even though people are so different in all the parts of the world, we are all alike in many ways.

Extensions:
1.this would be good to introduce to a class with a variety of cultures in the class.
2. Have them learn to wrap babies in different ways.
  kristendickerson | Mar 24, 2014 |
this book is about children riding on their mothers and grandmothers backs a they work and do other chores
  DanaSingleton | Nov 23, 2013 |
Summary:
The author gives a view on how different cultures carry their babies. The book explains how babies learn about the world around them b being carried in it.

Personal Reaction:
I enjoyed learning new information about each culture. I am anxious to read more about each culture and learn how accurate each one is.

Classroom Extension Idea:
I. Art
Bring in paper and let each child illustrate something they learned as a child. Tape the illustrations together and display them in the hallway.
II. Physical Activity
Tie cloths to each child with a mock child inside and observe what they teach/do for an hour. ( )
  MissJessicaGaines | Nov 6, 2013 |
summary:
This book tells the story of babies around the world, and how parents carry them. It tells about different people from around the world. Guatamala, Bali, Canad, and Thailand are just a few different cultures that are discussed in this book.

personal reaction:
This book is very colorful. It also has a lot of information in it.

classroom extension ideas:
1. This book would make a great book to discuss different cultures, and how they care for their young. We could make a portrait of their families.

2. One section of this book is about a grandfather carrying a baby on his back. We could discuss how different families are made up. ( )
  we3zmom | Mar 10, 2012 |

Explores the ways in which people from a variety of cultures carry their young ones, and describes what children see and learn as they are carried.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,660,548 books! | Top bar: Always visible