The Poetics of Space (1957)

by Gaston Bachelard

Beloved and contemplated by philosophers, architects, writers, and literary theorists alike, Bachelard's lyrical, landmark work examines the places in which we place our conscious and unconscious thoughts and guides us through a stream of cerebral meditations on poetry, art, and the blooming of consciousness itself. Houses and rooms; cellars and attics; drawers, chests and wardrobes; nests and shells; nooks and corners- no space is too vast or too small to be filled by our thoughts and our reveries. With an introduction by acclaimed philosopher Richard Kearney and a foreword by author Mark Z. Danielewski.… (more)

I am my own hiding place. Pg.88.

The primitiveness of refuge. the animal movements of withdrawal. Pg 91

Formed.un.in | Jul 25, 2020 |
Very well done and thoroughly intriguing. ( )
  DanielSTJ | May 5, 2019 |
I bought this at the James Castle House in Boise, Idaho, inasmuch as Deleuze and hourglasses were both mentioned (and I bought an hourglass, too). A fabulous, sustained reverie for the poet in us all.
  kencf0618 | Mar 19, 2019 |
This and the other Bachelard translations inspired my best work (poetry) in a series that took me through in excess of 700 poems.

I think his ability to thoughtfully examine space, from a perspective that that is contemplative rather than analytical s a wonderful variant.

Works well for me, at the least. ( )
  Frank_Prem | Feb 22, 2019 |
[W]e are never real historians, but always near poets, and our emotion is perhaps nothing but an expression of a poetry that was lost.

This is not what I expected. The Poetics of Space is not some rigorous discussion of the concept of home or the distinction between inside and outside. This is a meditation. Bachelard prefers "daydream". As one reads, one takes shorthand from the philosopher's imagination. The text is steeped in whimsy and speculation. The citations refer to the poetic, not the philosophical. Heidegger is not mentioned. I suspect that is political.

Borrowing Bachelard's seminal point of contact, his Poetics remains half-open. The idea of the house and dwelling is only explored on the hoof; broader issues of the miniature and the vast are extended the lengthier chew. I loved the sections on nests and wardrobes, each dizzying with references to Rimbaud and insularity. I simply felt the wider thrust of the book abandoned the thesis of the Home.

This then is my ancestral forest. And all the rest is fiction.
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |

Gaston Bachelardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jolas, MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stilgoe, John R.Forewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A philosopher who has evolved his entire thinking from the fundamental themes of the philosophy of science, and followed the main line of the active, growing rationalism of contemporary science as closely as he could, must forget his learning and break with all his habits of philosophical research, if he wants to study the problems posed by the poetic imagination.

Beacon Press

An edition of this book was published by Beacon Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,712,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible