The Poetics of Space by Gaston Bachelard

The Poetics of Space (1957)

by Gaston Bachelard

English (11)  All (1)  All (12)
How spaces can have a profound emotional/psychological effect. A place to go for automatic inspiration. ( )
  clifforddham | May 16, 2017 |
A wonderful work and a must read for any aspiring poet, metaphysical writer or daydreamer. ( )
  M.Rudd | Nov 21, 2016 |
In college. This book had a profound effect on me. I loved it. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
Monograph Library - shelved at:
  HB-Library-159 | Oct 19, 2016 |
This is supposed to be a book about perceptions, so I guess I can’t fault him on factual flippancy. He seems to be saying, though, that these perceptions are at least somewhat universal. Which is ridiculous, least of all because I can’t relate to most of them.
He brings up some interesting ideas, but only in passing, before he goes off again on pseudo-psychological babbles, passing them off as universal Truths.
I’m only half way through, hopefully it will get better?

Edit: it didn't. It did, however, make me doubt a few things I took for granted. Not because of any convincing evidence or arguments, but because he seems to take for granted the opposite. ( )
  DeFor | Nov 28, 2013 |

Gaston Bachelardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jolas, MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stilgoe, John R.Forewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A philosopher who has evolved his entire thinking from the fundamental themes of the philosophy of science, and followed the main line of the active, growing rationalism of contemporary science as closely as he could, must forget his learning and break with all his habits of philosophical research, if he wants to study the problems posed by the poetic imagination.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0807064734, Paperback)

This is a deep, magical, densely captivating book about space, our homes, how we live in them, and how dwellings and space affect us; it is as much a book of philosophy as a work of serious literature. It requires careful, preferably leisurely reading, with the possibility of moments to pause and digest and re-read the words. It will change the way you look at your home and your life, providing a deeper, more insightful relationship with the spaces you occupy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:22 -0400)

Beacon Press

An edition of this book was published by Beacon Press.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,481,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible