Fall; or, Dodge in Hell: A Novel by Neal…

Fall; or, Dodge in Hell: A Novel (edition 2019)

by Neal Stephenson (Author)

206286,114 (3.27)1 / 7
Member:Keja
Title:Fall; or, Dodge in Hell: A Novel
Authors:Neal Stephenson (Author)
Info:William Morrow (2019), 880 pages
Collections:Your library, Science Fiction

Fall; or, Dodge in Hell by Neal Stephenson

English (8)  German (1)  All languages (9)
This one was tough to rate. I enjoy sciemce fiction. I'm not so much in love with fantasy. Still, I was intrigued enough to wade through the almost 1000 pages of this doorstopper.
I liked the meat-space portions of the book. While not exactly a sequel to Reamde which I loved, several of the characters play important roles in Fall or Dodge in Hell. Those sections were worth a solid 4 stars. My feelings on the bit-space sections were mixed. I felt my attention wandering at times and believe that 200 or more pages of the Tolkien-like quest could easily been cut. ( )
  Jean_Roberts | Jul 18, 2019 |
I don't review books, heck I'm too lazy even to add them to my LybraryThing usually (well, not lazy, optimizing, I could read for all that time). I was looking forward to this; I read mostly everything by NS, yes even The Baroque Cycle (and it was GREAT!), I'm plowing through "The Foreworld Saga"; anyway I was getting a kick only from thinking that I'll be reading his new book ever since it was announced!

But this wasn't disappointing, was more like a complete joke, like somebody had a file that was some obscure fantasy piece and somehow got printed instead of the one we were expecting. I'm not sure what I was expecting, probably something more like Greg Egan or Peter F. Hamilton, something that while not being "Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid" would give you one or two things to think about. But nothing. NOTHING. Took me about one third to one half of the book to realize I'm not getting anything (still finished it grudgingly just to make sure I didn't miss anything, sadly there was nothing to miss). ( )
  v12345 | Jul 9, 2019 |
DNF. Stopped almost halfway through at the start of yet another interminable chapter on the 'creation' of the world. wrt the entities self-evolving, Greg Egan's Diaspora did this a lot better imo. wrt the world building/creation myth, the Silmarillion is better. ( )
1 vote AndrewL | Jun 30, 2019 |
Is it April 1st already? Or is this one of the worst attempts at writing serious SF!? When I was doing UNIX for a living, I fondly remember a running joke that went like this.

Unix erotica? Here are some examples of inputs and responses from the Unix C Shell:

%^How did the sex change^ operation go?
Modifier failed.
%make love
Make: Don't know how to make love. Stop.
%sleep with me
bad character
%man: why did you get a divorce?
man:: Too many arguments.
%blow
%blow: No such job.

Bottom-line: "Fall, or Dodge in Hell" is a hotchpotch like UNIX is. But it's a bad hotchpotch...Neal, Neal, were you on drugs a la Phil Dick?? I can imagine Stephenson pitching this book to some publishers and discussing it… I once pitched a dissertation in college called "Terrorism Studies". I wanted to go with "Media depictions of counter-terror operations". I was told that I couldn't spend a year just watching Steven Seagal movies. Which was a bit unfair, because "Under Siege" was not on my list… Was Stephenson doing multitasking activities as he wrote this crap of a book? Maybe watching some Chuck Norris on the side? Perhaps watching Chuck Norris fried his brain and none of the publishers noticed it after reading the galley proof? One of the worse things I've ever read, SF or not. I couldn’t make head or tails of it. My fault surely. ( )
1 vote antao | Jun 19, 2019 |
How do Dyson spheres happen? Stephenson gives himself an excuse to write epic fantasy, with a story that interleaves chapters of near future sci-fi with descriptions of the exploits of amnesiac simulated brains and artificial intelligences inside a planetary-scale MMO. ( )
  felius | Jun 17, 2019 |
to O. L.
Dodge became conscious.

"The #1 New York Times bestselling author of Seveneves, Anathem, Reamde, and Cryptonomicon returns with a wildly inventive and entertaining science fiction thriller--Paradise Lost by way of Philip K. Dick--that unfolds in the near future, in parallel worlds"--… (more)

Current discussions

purchased the latest Neal Stephenson book yesterday in The Green Dragon

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,423,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible