Winter's Secret (Northern Intrigue #1)…

Winter's Secret (Northern Intrigue #1) (HeartQuest)

by Lyn Cote

The main plots involve trying to solve a series of robberies and the romance between Wendy and Rodd. But subplots develop the ideas of how family can intentionally and unintentionally wound each other and how we often blame ourselves for things beyond our control. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Mar 3, 2017 |
If this book is about one thing, it's about prayer. "In Winter's Secret" by Lyn Cote, a Home Health Nurse named Wendy, is followed through the heavy snow by a burglar. The homes where she visits are entered by this person after she and her patient leaves for care. She prays not too many of her patients will become harmed or fatally wounded. In the meantime, she and Sheriff Rodd deal with personal issues.

It's fascinating the way God works with Rodd during the crimes. He must learn to depend on God. It's hard for him. He feels there is no need to bother God. After all, this is a problem he can handle himself. While we read about his battle with God, there is Wendy with her set of trials. She deals with her past. Perhaps, working too exhaustion is her way of not facing the pain she has experienced throughout the years with her mother. In the present, she faces the pain of seeing a uncle over drink and fight at the bar. Then, there is her sister, Sage, who is going to make a very big decision involving her boyfriend, Trav.

Along with snowmobiles, there are hardened, bitter people like Veda McCracken. This woman has no conscience. It is difficult for Wendy to attend church on Sundays because of this woman's hateful words not to mention her deeds that involve a church fundraiser. It is possible for one person to bring unhappiness to a whole community.

There are so many incidents that go on during this Northern winter. Some neighbors are really hospitable. They put themselves in dangers to save someone else hours of turmoil. I did become confused whether this story happens in Minnesota or in Wisconsin's Northern woods. I am a stickler for place. I always think the setting might become a location to visit in the future.

Anyway, Lyn Cote's winter is sparkled with the warmth of family, friends and food. Her winter is also very dangerous. I experienced a different winter. Snowmobiles become the basic way to get around safely and quickly. There is the possibility of becoming lost in high drifts of snow. Truthfully, winter can become deadly. This isn't an overstatement.

With pleasant relief, there is attendance at the church. I loved the hymns mentioned throughout the book and the times spent in church with Zak, Harlan and the other members of the town. Oh, I must mention the romance. I waited quite a while for one of the romantic couple's to share a kiss. Then, it happened. This is a wonderful, suspenseful winter tale. Don't miss it. ( )
  Topazshell | Feb 24, 2017 |
To my great husband for taking me up north.
And to Marilyn LeClere, my critique partner. Thanks for all those phone calls which start "I've been thinking about your story . . ."
Many thanks to Harry Dougherty, chief of police of Marion, Iowa, for his technical help with this book.
Standing to the side of the battered door, Sheriff Rodd Durand eased out his gun.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:04 -0400)

Sheriff Rod Durand is desperate to solve the snowmobile burglaries. As the one link to the crimes against the elderly, Wendy Carey is determined to risk anything to protect those she loves. As they follow the thief's trail, Rod and Wendy discover much more than they bargained for.… (more)

Lyn Cote is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,623,486 books! | Top bar: Always visible