De beste blant oss : roman by Helene Uri

De beste blant oss : roman (2006)

by Helene Uri

Norwegian (1)  English (1)  Dutch (1)  All (3)
In this novel we meet Pål (Paul) Bentzen a scientist researching futuristic language, Nanna Klev and Professor Edith Rinkel, all working at the Institute of futuristic language and linguistics (freely translated by me from Norwegian) at the university of Oslo, Norway. This is a novel containing love, ambitions, passion, intrigues, university gossip and large doze of satire. Anyone who's set their foot anywhere near academia will nod recognizably at the authors description of university employees, all their quirkiness, their backstabbing of each other and the lack of interest in anything not concerning their own research. The authors descriptions are spot on (at least here in Norway) and I laughed my socks out several times. Like her mentioning the project to preserve the norwegian language: "The maintenance of Norwegian as the Future Language of Norway" where the scientist wanted to publish the whole research in Norwegian, or at least parts of it, but was denied due to the institutes policy of publishing outside Scandinavia. If it was published in Norwegian, the Institute would loose credits and therefore get less money the following year. I hope I was not the only one seeing the irony. Hilarious, but very typical. The novel is filled with funny diversions, it could have been messy, but it really worked. It had a nice plot twist in the end too, though I would not be surprised if there's a good dash of hidden truth in it all.

I should probably mention that the author herself is a linguistic who used to work at the same university, but left academia and wrote this novel. The plot is not complicated, but still a bit difficult to write about without spoiling anything or writing a whole dissertation.The language was a dream, written by a true linguist. ( )
  Apolline | Jan 14, 2011 |

Helene Uriprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wiersma, NeeltjeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ja, geef me de besten onder jullie, en ik zal jullie alles geven.
(...)
Ooit kan het zover komen dat wij onze aarde moeten redden.
De besten onder jullie zijn daartoe opgeroepen.

Uit: De stem van de revolutie van Rudolf Nilsen
Vysoký rusovlasý muž jde dlouhými kroky napříč vydlážděným náměstím mezi Fakultou společenských věd a Humanitní fakultou.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,423,325 books! | Top bar: Always visible