The Lost Thorn (Volume 1) by Joshua P.…

The Lost Thorn (Volume 1)

by Aguayo. Joshua, Jean Racines (Editor)

841,035,133 (3)None

I received a copy of this book from a Library Thing giveaway in exchange for an honest review.

I thought this story was really promising but unfortunately it wasn't well executed. Beyond the grammar errors which were pretty distracting, the structure of this story was just all over the place. Near the beginning we're given a bunch of flashbacks but there's no clear separation between these and the present setting so I really didn't understand what was actually happening.

I think some of the problem with the structure was that the author was jumping a little ahead of themselves and leaving the reader behind. Not having all the information that the author has made it really difficult to understand the story. I really needed more dots to be connected to have a better idea of what was going on, especially in regards to the magic aspect of the book. This seemed to be a really big part of the book but it's barely hinted at in the beginning and we're given such brief glimpses into this, before a much later reveal, that it's really hard to follow along.

While I liked that the main character was so different and boisterous, I had some issues with how she was depicted. There were several unneeded comments about her appearance and her period that were way off-the-mark. Again, having so many main female characters was promising but the reality didn't live up to the potential. ( )
  Lib-books | Jun 18, 2017 |
Although it looked interesting in the beginning, i was very disappointed. All the main characters are unlikeable, the tech stuff didn't make much sense,they were not well explained and i just couldn't imagine this world at all.The whole thing felt very rushed as well. ( )
  jenny_acc | Nov 30, 2016 |
This is fine story but the copy I received as a LibraryThing Member GiveAway needs editing: typos and mistakes interrupt the flow of reading. The plot, setting, consistency, character development and pace are all good. ( )
  BridgitDavis | Sep 20, 2016 |
Quick summary :

A very cool discovery with a lot of actions and good ideas.

A more detailed review…

The Lost Thorn is another surprise I’ve got from LibraryThing early reviewer / membership giveaway program.

In this book, the author chooses to mix many different ideas; ideas you don’t normally find in the same science-fiction book.

So : science-fiction + dystopia (until here, that’s fine) + magic.

Yeah, magic :) and the end result is quite good! The story is build around the sorcery and it also explained the “dystopia context” that we have in the book. The characters are interesting and distinct. Sam is my favorite and I’ve appreciated how the author choose to describe her drug addiction (mini spoiler…).

My only negative point, and some people may disagree, is the size of the novel which is too small in my opinion. I would have taken an additional 100 pages without any problem. More details, more background, etc…
But I will forgive the author gladly if I can get a sequel. :)

Rating : 7.5 / 10

https://4nakama.net/2016/02/24/the-lost-thorn-review/ ( )
  Shaika-Dzari | Feb 24, 2016 |
The Lost Thorn is a very fast paced and uniquely written story because it combines the elements of cyberpunk and magic together in a way I have never read before.

Sam’s mind is a veritable rollercoaster, she is insane, and yet she is a believable character, tremendously human. The insights we have on her mind are not cringe-worthy, rather, she is a girl who makes shitty jokes, is scared of many things, has many problems, a crush on her best friend and poor eating and living habits. She makes bad decisions and tries to do her best, while still being an addict. The descriptions we have of Obsidian and the effect it has on Sam are very vivid and realistic, and even if she has a reason for doing it, we still want her to stop, to feel better. It’s impossible to dislike Sam.

Aguayo. JoshuaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Racines, JeanEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Joshua P. Aguayo's book The Lost Thorn was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,153,253 books! | Top bar: Always visible