Fierce Conversations: Achieving Success at…

Fierce Conversations: Achieving Success at Work and in Life One…

by Susan Scott

541928,254 (3.81)4

Wow look at the mixed reviews.
This was recommended to me by one introvert to another, from a conversation about [b:Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking|8520610|Quiet The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking|Susan Cain|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328562861s/8520610.jpg|13387396].
I might get around to reading this, I might not... depending on how well I can remind myself to stop jabbering about and looking for new books to read and just read the ones already on my lists!
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
I found this book very meaty: as I was reading it, tonnes of conversations came up where I felt I had made an impact or, on the contrary, felt frustrated. This book helped me pinpoint what I had done well or what I had bungled. It was a perfect complement to a coaching session I recently attended and provided clear guidelines that I can follow at work, and at home.
I've started applying them and the results are phenomenal: I find people are listening better and I feel I am hearing them better. I even had someone come up to me and thank me for showing my ability to hear them out - to me, that's worth gold.
Practice makes perfect, and Scott's annexes will help me focus on staying on the right track. Her simple, straightforward approach is easy to understand and, with a bit of confidence, easy to apply. It takes the defensiveness out of the equation and replaces the value of silence and cuing. This book has definitely enriched my leadership skills. ( )
  Cecilturtle | Nov 25, 2012 |
A great book, and I felt I got a lot out of it. Lots of good stories to make the lessons memorable, and concrete advice. I'll be recommending this to others. ( )
  VVilliam | Jun 25, 2011 |
A pretty obvious book about saying what you need to say to people and the value of doing so. ( )
  Dangraham | Jan 4, 2011 |
'Fierce conversations is a style of conducting business, an attitude, a way of life'. Susan Scott is a Communications expert and has spent 16 years helping clients improve their conversations, and the book contains many case studies from CEOs who have engaged her services. Many of these were quite entertaining, and great eye openers.

Much of the book is guff, but there are pearls of wisdom scattered amongst the pages, and many of these gave me pause, as I wished I had the courage and or skill to deliver that type of message. The book also takes you through how to deal with conflict, one conversation at a time, and includes a plan and helpful tips and questions to assist you at 'starting the conversation you are most avoiding'.

I enjoyed some of the tips relating to co-workers and managers, and laughed at some of the questions: for example, a manager asking their co-worker: 'what are you hoping I won't bring up?' Can you imagine the response?

By the end of the book I realised I had absolutely no excuse to avoid the 'fierce conversation', and made an appointment with the person I had been most avoiding. This fierce conversation was extremely productive, and has lifted a burden I had been carrying for over a year.

Even though it could be culled (at least 50 pages) I thoroughly recommend the book if you could benefit from tips on communication (who wouldn't)? ( )
  Carpe_Librum | Oct 21, 2010 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0425193373, Paperback)

Susan Scott believes that interpersonal difficulties--at work and at home--are a direct result of our inability to communicate well. Fierce Conversations is based on principles from her international consulting practice, in which she teaches executives how to conduct such exchanges more dynamically and ultimately more effectively, thereby improving the relationships they enjoy with their various dialogue partners "one conversation at a time." Using identifiable anecdotes from her experience to inspire and inform, along with a series of practical exercises designed to impart the requisite skills, Scott walks readers through the individual steps she's developed to build better associations through more robust and honest discourses. Addressing all aspects of the process, from several methods for listening more attentively to specific ways she's fashioned to confront and resolve issues "that stand between you and success," Scott offers the type of concrete advice and confidence-building counsel that should help even the most reticent improve their communication skills dramatically. --Howard Rothman

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:42 -0400)

The master teacher of positive change through powerful communication, Susan Scott wants her readers to succeed. To do that, she explains, one must transform everyday conversations employing effective ways to get the message across. In this guide, which includes exercises and tools to take you step by step through the Seven Principles of Fierce Conversations, Scott teaches readers how to: Overcome barriers to meaningful communication; Expand and enrich conversations with colleagues, friends, and family; Increase clarity and improve understanding; Handle strong emotions-on both sides of the table.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,478,288 books! | Top bar: Always visible