The Antipeople by Sony Lab'ou Tansi

The Antipeople (1983)

by Sony Lab'ou Tansi

Spanish (1)  English (1)  All (2)
This strange novel is the story of Dadou, the respectable married principal of a female teacher's school in Zaire. Yavelda, one of his students, is attracted to him, and begins to pursue him and try to seduce him. Dabou knows he cannot succumb to her, and to avoid giving in to her charms, he turns to drink (!?). As he begins to sink into alcoholism, he becomes derelict in his duties, and begins to act strangely. Nevertheless, he resists Yavelda.

Through Yavelda, Dadou meets her cousin Yealdara, who also falls in love with him, and would do anything for him. When Yavelda commits suicide, and falsely accuses Dabou of being the father of her unborn child, Dabou is beaten by an enraged mob, which also causes the deaths of his wife and two children. Dabou is then thrown into prison, and for the next four years Yealdara works relentlessly to seek his release or to help him escape across the border to the Congo. Ultimately, she is successful, and in the final section of the book, Dabou becomes involved with some of the freedom fighters in the Congo.

This book is well enough written, but in the end I was asking myself, what does it all mean, what is its purpose? I don't really know. So, do I recommend it? Not really, but if anyone reads it and can explain it to me, please feel free.... ( )
  arubabookwoman | May 13, 2012 |
To my dead ones...because to die is to dream a different dream.
The first time the girl in glasses smiled at him, Dadou took no notice.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,647,580 books! | Top bar: Always visible