Vergewaltigt: Eine Liebesgeschichte - Rape:…

Vergewaltigt: Eine Liebesgeschichte - Rape: A Love Story (original 2003; edition 2012)

by Joyce Carol Oates, Uda Strätling (Übersetzer)

Member:Mariul
Title:Vergewaltigt: Eine Liebesgeschichte - Rape: A Love Story
Authors:Joyce Carol Oates
Other authors:Uda Strätling (Übersetzer)
Info:Fischer Taschenbuch Verlag (2012), Edition: 1, Taschenbuch, 176 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:USA, New York State, Niagara Falls, | 1990er, g12, Bibliothek

Rape: A Love Story by Joyce Carol Oates (2003)

English (24)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (26)
Even though I gave this book only 3 stars, I admit I've fallen in love with Oates (this is my third Oates book). Unlike the other two, it wasn't the characters I fell in love with (maybe this reflects in my rating) but the writing is still superb. She has such a poetic way of depicting humanity in all the little details with a great expanse of emotion. I will continue to read her work and be glad that I have discovered her. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
completed /10/14, 4.5 stars ( )
  bookmagic | Aug 10, 2014 |
brilliant ( )
  bhowell | Apr 24, 2013 |
This book was great. It is so realistic that I put this book into my own perspective. The things that happened in this book made me realize how much people take for granite. Otherwise this book is wonderful and I would recomend this book to anybody. ( )
  MaryAnn12 | Apr 4, 2013 |
Gut-wrenching and beautiful. This is probably my favorite book by Joyce Carol Oates. I have no snark. ( )
  quillmenow | Mar 18, 2012 |
Sen jälkeen kun hänet oli raiskattu, jätetty hakattuna ja potkittuna kuolemaan saastaisen venevajan lattialle Rocky Point Parkiin.

A moving story about a gang rape and the effects it has on its victims, a mother & daughter, and the various lives surroundings them.

Teena Maguire should not have tried to shortcut her way home that Fourth of July. Not after midnight, not through Rocky Point Park. Not the way she was dressed in a tank top, denim cutoffs, and high-heeled sandals. Not with her twelve-year-old daughter Bethie. Not with packs of local guys running loose on hormones, rage, and alcohol. A victim of gang rape, left for dead in the park boathouse, the once vivacious Teena can now only regret that she has survived. At a relentlessly compelling pace punctuated by lonely cries in the night and the whisper of terror in the afternoon, Joyce Carol Oates unfolds the story of Teena and Bethie, their assailants, and their unexpected, silent champion, a man who knows the meaning of justice. And love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:01 -0400)

The victim of a Fourth of July gang rape, single mother Teena Maguire and her daughter become the target of harassment and violence on the part of the assailants after Teena identifies the perpetrators for the Niagara Falls Police Department.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,671,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible