When Charlie McButton Lost Power by Suzanne…

When Charlie McButton Lost Power

by Suzanne Collins

I truly enjoyed reading this story! The ending was adorable when Charlie realizes he would rather spend time with his sister than play with any of his gadgets. ( )
  Annabelleurb | Oct 26, 2016 |
I really enjoyed reading the book, When Charlie McButton Lost Power by Suzanne Collins. The rhyming and illustrations in this book kept you entertained while also teaching a valuable lesson. This is the second rhyming book I've read and I have found them both to be very entertaining. I find myself reading the rhymes with more enthusiasm and excitement then a traditional writing style. This made the book fun and more enjoyable. The clay rhyme is my absolute favorite part it shows how a good rhyme can be fun, show emotion and draw you in.
“Could anything be any duller than clay?
Soggy gray clay on a soggy gray day?
He hated the way clay got under his nails
And how he could only make snowmen and snails.”
I feel like the drawings also add to my enjoyment of this book. They are scribbly while still maintaining detail. They are very expressive, you can completely relate to Charlie’s expressions as he gasps for air when losing his electronics or pounces on his sister dolly. The illustrator Mike Lester makes the emotions pop in his drawings while still keeping everything fun. I originally thought the main idea of this book was to learn to live without electronics, but it also has a bigger message. Not only does Charlie have to entertain himself without batteries but while doing so he learns to appreciate his sister and play with her. By the end he realizes that he can be happy without electronics and batteries; and to enjoy the company of his sister most of all. ( )
  EmmaBrockwell | Sep 22, 2014 |
I checked this book out almost 2 months before I got to use it - it is written in rhyming verse, and can be used to teach prediction, character traits, problem resolution. It makes a great mystery box book when you pull out a gameboy, a play station and a deck of cards - let the prediction begin!!
  ekbrumley | Apr 29, 2014 |
I loved this picture book. Charlie McButton is totally plugged in, so when a storm knocks the power out he is desperate for some entertainment. He has an old gadget that would work if only he could find some batteries. All of his little sister’s toys run on batteries which leads him to make some bad choices. However all is not lost, and as he tries to make things up to her he may learn that losing power is not the end of the world. The illustrations are a fantastic piece of this story. They add a comic element that made the story even more enjoyable. Everything reads in a lyrical rhyming style making it fun to read out loud. The reminder that playing something that doesn’t require batteries is current but not heavy handed. A gem of a picture book. ( )
  readr | Dec 11, 2012 |
When video-game addict Charlie McButton loses power, he has no idea what to do to amuse himself, and resorts to trying to steal batteries from his younger sister.

With a rhyming quality reminiscent of Dr. Seuss, Collin's text manages to simultaneously tell the story and make jokes. She condemns over-dependence on video games, suggests other forms of entertainment without being heavy-handed, and covers sibling relations on top of that. Over the course of the short book, readers truly care for Charlie and his younger sister Isabel Jane.

Action-packed pencil and watercolor illustrations convey emotions hinted at in the text. The thin-lined sloppy style, with coloring extending over the penciled outlines, captures the feeling of child-done drawings while still maintaining the quality of an experience illustrator.

Highly recommended for preschool and early elementary listeners. ( )
  ejmeloche | Oct 12, 2012 |

Charlie McButton likes computer games so much, he never plays with anything else. When a thunderstorm knocks out the electricity, his tech empire comes tumbling down, and his whole world loses power. Charlie needs batteries?FAST! But the only triple- A?s he can find are in his little sister?s talking doll. Will he resort to desperate measures and cause his sister to have a meltdown of her own? Or will he snap out of his computer craze long enough to realize his sister might be fun, even if she doesn?t come with batteries? Collins and Lester team up for a hilarious and timely tale that will crack up young computer addicts and those who love them!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:39 -0400)

A boy who likes nothing but playing computer games is in trouble when the power goes out and his little sister has all of the batteries in the house.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,936,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible