Passion for the Game by Sylvia Day

Passion for the Game (2007)

by Sylvia Day

As with book one of this series, a little bit of intrigue and a lot of sex. Still, you couldn't help love the characters and I can't wait to read Colin and Simon's stories. ( )
  jkgrage | Nov 24, 2014 |
Reading this was like a déjà vu. Probably because I’ve already read the first book in the series. However, I actually like the main couple and the relationship between them. ( )
  Sarielle | Aug 10, 2014 |
No, this book was a huge disappointment for me. I read Sylvia Day's Crossfire series and decided to try one of her historical novels, but this is the first and last one for me. I just couldn't reconcile myself with the motives of some of the characters and felt that they were flimsy and just invented to get the story where the writer wanted it to go. Why did Welton use Maria's sister to make her find out more about St. John, what are his interests in St. John to use such heavy measures? Somewhere in the beginning, Maria gets attacked by some very random guy, just so St. John can rescue her. Also, I felt that the love story between Colin and Amelia only served as an introduction to the next installment. All in all, it was too badly motivated for me and that completely destroyed my enjoyment of the book. ( )
  Vonini | Feb 20, 2014 |
PASSION FOR THE GAME by Sylvia Day is another exciting Georgian Erotic Historical Romance set in England. An re-issue edition. #2 in the "Georgian" series,but again can be read as a stand alone.See, "Ask For It". What an exciting series this is thus far. I absolutely love this series.We follow,Christopher St. John,criminal,and smuggler whom we seen briefly in "Ask For It" and determined to find justice for his murdered half brother and gain his freedom. And Maria, Lady Winter,infamous in Society,dubbed the Wintry Widow, but far from it to some and determined to find and bring home her little sister,Amelia, who is being held by her evil stepfather,in order to force Maria to do his bidding. Both are charming,suspicious,fiercely loyal,either of them are to be crossed and wanted by the Crown for their misdeeds. Fast paced and filled with danger,passion,lust,lies,deceit,secrets,agents of the Crown and did I mention passionate love scenes. Together,Maria and St. John learn to trust each other,love blossoms,and justice to be found. Once again, Ms. Day draws the reader into this powerful story of not only passion,but family,rather true family or street family,and an intriguing plot. A sizzling love story from beginning to the last page and one you will want to continue to the next installment of this delicious "Georgian" series. While, I read this out of sequence,for I read "A Passion For Him" first,which is #3 in the Georgian series,and is the story of Amelia and Colin,before "Passion For The Game" it did not take away from the story. I was eager to learn more of St. John and Maria and was not disappointed. I would highly recommend this title for not only Erotic readers,but for historical romance readers and anyone who enjoys a great read and "Passion For The Game". Received for an honest review from the publisher.

RATING: 4.5

HEAT RATING: HOT

REVIEWED BY: AprilR, My Book Addiction Reviews ( )
  MyBookAddiction | Apr 13, 2013 |
**Courtesy of CK2S Kwips & Kritiques**

The Lady Winter, rumored to be a Black Widow with two husbands already dead early in their marriages. Treated as a pawn by men who would use her, she has learned to exert her control and independence subtly, through seduction and subterfuge. Manipulated by her ruthless stepfather, she will do anything to rescue her young sister from her own fate. Now both her stepfather and an agent of the Crown have set her against the notorious Christopher St. John, and Maria’s very life depends on her ability to ferret proof of the handsome rogue’s misdeeds.

But another agent of the Crown has blackmailed St. John into investigating the mysterious and beautiful Lady Maria Winter and the deaths of her two husbands – both of whom happened to be agents of the Crown themselves. If he can prove her guilt, he saves his own neck from the gallows. But all bets are off when he finally meets the dark beauty, and he finds her more dangerous than he ever anticipated – to his heart.

From the moment I read my first Sylvia Day story in the anthology Alluring Tales volume 1, I was a fan. Since then, I’ve read many of this author’s books and purchased still more that I’m itching to find time to read. It is a wonderful moment for me when I receive one of her books for review, because not only do I know her books always earn a positive review, which is easier to write, but that means I get to prioritize her book in my reading pile!

Passion For the Game quickly earned its place as my favorite Sylvia Day title to date. While I have loved all of her books, something about this one just completely did it for me. The plot, the characters, all of it served to hook me from the beginning and refused to let me go until the end. Nay, I can’t even say it has released me now, since I can’t stop thinking about the sequels to this marvelous book I know are coming!

Both St. John and Lady Winter are people who find themselves the victim of their circumstances, but neither are the type to allow themselves to be cast as victims, and they each soon take control of the situation, butting heads in the most delightfully sexy ways. Watching these two strong-willed personalities ‘duke it out’ both in and out of the bedroom makes for a gripping story you won’t be able to put down until the end!

I have to tell you, however, that I was quite upset at the end of Chapter Four. It was my own fault, really, though. You see, I like to read during my lunch hour. I had the great misfortune to reach the end of Chapter Four as my lunch ended one day, and there I was, stuck at work for another five hours with the heroine standing near-naked in the hallway with the hero completely naked in his doorway. I seriously considered whether or not I could go home for the rest of the day so I could read the rest of the book - and I don’t ever play hooky! Alas, I stuck out the rest of the day, although my mind kept wandering back to Passion for the Game and the heat that I could feel spilling from those pages when I left our intrepid couple. I headed straight home from work that evening, and immediately devoured the rest of the book. I even forgot to eat dinner that night, I was so consumed with this story.

I don’t care if you love historicals or not, this is a fantastic story that is a must-read for Romance lovers. While set in historical time, the period is not the focus of the piece, and it is easy to imagine this pair of lovers in any era, fighting the same sexy battle. Do yourself a huge favor and run right out to get your copy of Passion for the Game. You will not be disappointed!

nashjar | Feb 11, 2008 |

Christopher St. John and Maria, Lady Winter are infamous in Society for their misdeeds and their charming allures. Wherever they go, scandalized whispers and covetous glances follow. A ruthless pirate and a widow whose two husbands have met untimely deaths, the wickedly renowned figures are even more intriguing to the authorities. Now they've been set on the most provocative of tasks--St. John is released from prison to learn the "Wintry Widow's" intimate secrets, while Lady Winter is charged with performing a similar deception in reverse. One will succeed. One will hang.… (more)

Sylvia Day is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,410,221 books! | Top bar: Always visible