All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda

All the Missing Girls

by Megan Miranda

This is another one of those mystery/thriller books but it did keep my attention through the end, wanting to know how it all turns out. Plus, it was very creative to write the book in reverse chronological order. I through it would not work at first, but as I kept reading I liked how it was written. ( )
  mindyvail | Jun 26, 2018 |
This books starts off slow and builds. It begins with Nicolette Ferrell being called back home by her brother Daniel to the mountains of North Carolina from Philadelphia where she works as a guidance counselor and is engaged to a successful lawyer named Everette. Her dad is in a home now due to his dementia and he owes so much money that the only recourse is to sell the house if they are to afford to keep him in the home.

When she gets home one of the first people she runs into is Tyler her high school boyfriend who is going out with Annaleise Carter. When she goes missing it brings up the memories of the last girl who went missing ten years ago, Corrine Prescott, Nic's best friend, and a complex girl who brings out the best and worst in people. You loved her and hated her at the same time. There was a big investigation with a state investigator coming down to pick apart the town. Everyone believed that her boyfriend Jackson did it because she was pregnant and the two had just fought and broke up. She had left a message on his phone to meet him. He swears that they didn't, but did they? Annaleise was her, her brother Daniel, and Tyler's alibi for that night. She witnessed Daniel hitting Nic and Tyler hitting Daniel. But there was still suspicion hanging over Daniel and Tyler as well.

Annaleise was an artist who drew drawings of sad girls, including several of Corrine. Jackson would tell Nic that Annaleise acted like Corrine and hit on him and Daniel just like Corrine did. She also left a message on a policeman's phone the night before she disappeared that said she had information on the Corrine Prescott case. But she's not the only one with information about the case. Nic's father keeps saying that he sees that girl and that Nic isn't safe and he tells her about his papers in the house hidden somewhere.

Everyone is at the breaking point. The tension in the book is palpable. Interestingly the book is told backward. It starts with her going down there then it picks up two weeks later and then goes backward one day at a time until it gets to day one then it goes forward by two weeks. It's an odd way to write a book, but at the same time, Miranda reveals what she wants to reveal on which particular day. You would think that you learn more at the beginning because its the end of the week, but of course, all of the pieces you need to fit the puzzle together happen much earlier. It takes some getting used to read it this way, but I found it refreshing. Each character is complex and not easy to pin down. This was a really fast-paced read that holds the reader in its grip and never lets you go. I very much recommend this book. ( )
  nicolewbrown | Jun 6, 2018 |
Had I known this book was written backwards I would have never read it. It's a gimmick to cover up a story that has no surprises if written in a traditional way. This ploy failed to cover up the transparent ending for me. I thought it a waste of time. Only my self-enforced pledge to finish what I start kept me reading. ( )
  MikeDI | May 27, 2018 |
Just like the cover of the book states, “no one ever just disappears.” All the Missing Girls, is a smooth read with interesting twists. The story centers on two young women who go missing in the same small town, but ten years apart. Though the story is told in reverse, it did not complicate or confuse the flow or ruin the plot. This is Megan Miranda’s first adult book and I am a fan. ( )
  debbiesbooknook | Apr 27, 2018 |
The narrative style was interesting, though it seemed to not entirely work and could be tricky to follow. But, really, the biggest problem is that I had no positive regard whatsoever for any of the primary characters. They act like they never emerged from middle school, despite being grown adults, and this is only worsened by the fact that the storyline is a bit misleading (you're led to believe there's a certain mystery to unravel as the book goes on, but, really, it's not at all as it seems). Still, it was a rather intriguing read and did keep me fairly well engaged, though I despised the ending. ( )
  TiffanyAK | Apr 9, 2018 |

Ten years after leaving Cooley Ridge, Nicolette Farrell returns to care for her ailing father. A decade ago, she, her brother Daniel, her boyfriend Tyler, and Corinne's boyfriend Jackson were suspects when Corinne--Nic's best friend-- disappeared without a trace. Within days of Nic's return, they are plunged into a shocking drama when Nic's neighbor Annaleise, who is dating Tyler and was the group's alibi ten years previously, goes missing. Told backwards from the time Annaleise disappears, the book follows Nic as she works to unravel the truth and, in the process, reveals shocking realities about her friends, her family, and what really happened to Corinne that night ten years ago.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,980,758 books! | Top bar: Always visible