All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda

All the Missing Girls (2016)

by Megan Miranda

Recently added bygwen.idkman, NikkiMcG73, MaraBlaise, MichaelAScott, rena75, sloane33, private library

I know the author was trying to be clever by writing the book "backwards", but it just came off distracting. It took all that I had to continue reading the book and actually finishing. I would have enjoyed the book if it was written forward, instead of having to try and remember where we were in the story. hopefully her other books will be better. ( )
  Rhea1023 | Apr 24, 2019 |
This mystery novel has the same premise as a whole lot of books - troubled girl, Nic Farrell, returns home to a family emergency and a myriad of family and small town secrets. Mysterious doings afoot - the unsolved 10 year old disappearance of her closest friend, Corinne, and the brand new disappearance of a neighbor girl, Annaliesa. It has an unusual format, however, going backwards to get to the story and the meaning of it all. This makes for a slow beginning - and middle - and both the chronology and the intertwined relationships of all the main characters are hard to follow. But persevere to the end, and you get a knockout of a story - lots of twists and reveals. So I was going to give it a rating of three stars (adequate by my standards) but when I had to keep reading through the night, riveted at the ending - that rating jumped to four stars, because it has a five star ending. ( )
  MarthaHuntley | Feb 10, 2019 |
Megan Miranda has crafted a mystery that kept me on the edge of my seat, and I loved it. Until the end, but that has more to do with how I wanted the story to go, not where it went.

This is a story told backward, day by day, and jumps around. I want this book to become a movie. In some ways, I think it would be easier to see where it is going if that occurred. But I loved it, and want to read more books by her.

Missing girls ten years apart, a fair, and the woods. Honestly, I will refuse to say any more about the plot than that. The writing is flowing and reveals only what the author wants you to think, perfectly crafted to her will.

If you enjoy mystery, this is the book for you. If you enjoy beautifully crafted stories, this is for you. If you enjoy happy endings… maybe pause before choosing this book. ( )
  Sandeen | Feb 7, 2019 |
Nicolette (Nic) returns home to Cooley Ridge, North Carolina to help her brother Daniel, clean out, repair and sell the family home. Their father is suffering dementia and now in a nursing home and they need to sell the house in order to continue to pay for him to stay in the nursing home. Nic sublets her apartment in Philadephia, kisses her fiance good-bye and heads home. She left town 10 years earlier, when her best friend Corrine disappeared without a trace. There were many suspicions and many lies surrounding that disappearance. Shortly after Nic returns, another girl, Annaleise Carter goes missing, swallowed up by the woods without a trace. As the police start investigating the disappearance of Annaleise, Nic is sure that this is related to the disappearance of Corrine 10 years earlier. She reveals details leading up to the event where personalities are laid bare and long held secrets finally divulged.

Nic is the narrator of this story. It is written in reverse chronological order from day 15 down to day 1 you really need to be paying attention with this twisty, breath-holding mystery which will have you second guessing all the way through. It took me awhile to get accustomed to this as I kept thinking, "but this already happened". Nic is the typical unreliable narator. She only shares parts of the story. We always wonder what she is keeping secret.

This was a story where twists and turns kept you on the edge of your seat. You thought you had it figured out, then another plot twist. It kept me guessing right to the end. All the Missing Girls is a compelling story written around the eerie backdrop of the woods of Cooley Ridge in the shadow of the Smokey Mountains. A great read for lovers of suspense and mystery. The publisher generously provided me with a copy of this book via Netgalley.
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
I enjoyed the way that this author told the story backwards, starting with day 15 and going back to day one. The story was very interesting, it held my attention. I really wanted to know what happened to those two missing girls. I didn't suspect what happened. Looking forward to reading more books by this author. ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |

Ten years after leaving Cooley Ridge, Nicolette Farrell returns to care for her ailing father. A decade ago, she, her brother Daniel, her boyfriend Tyler, and Corinne's boyfriend Jackson were suspects when Corinne--Nic's best friend-- disappeared without a trace. Within days of Nic's return, they are plunged into a shocking drama when Nic's neighbor Annaleise, who is dating Tyler and was the group's alibi ten years previously, goes missing. Told backwards from the time Annaleise disappears, the book follows Nic as she works to unravel the truth and, in the process, reveals shocking realities about her friends, her family, and what really happened to Corinne that night ten years ago.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,780,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible