The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton…

The Mysterious Benedict Society

by Trenton Lee Stewart

Series: The Mysterious Benedict Society (1)

The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: Talented, intelligent kids on the trail of a bad guy.
    The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (bezoar44)
    bezoar44: The Mysterious Benedict Society features a team of kids working to solve puzzles and unravel a dangerous mystery at a claustrophobic boarding school; the Westing Game pits several teams of kids and adults, residents of an apartment building, against one another in a race to decode a will and solve several related mysteries.… (more)
    The Name Of This Book Is Secret by Pseudonymous Bosch (megan003)
    Whales on Stilts! by M. T. Anderson (kaledrina)
    The Girl Who Could Fly by Victoria Forester (Anonymous user)
    "Who Could That Be at This Hour?" by Lemony Snicket (Authoress)
    Authoress: Orphaned and semi-orphaned children are chosen to join a secret organization
    The Bad Apple (Merits of Mischief) by T. R. Burns (foggidawn)
    The Wright 3 by Blue Balliett (megan003)
    The Journal of Curious Letters by James Dashner (foggidawn)
    The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman (foggidawn)
    The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: It is a great aventure and a very funny book!!

English (180)  Italian (1)  All languages (181)
Humor pulls you into this one right away. A group of unusual tweens who come from a variety of living circumstances find themselves being thrown into a mystery that can only save the world.
  sacnate | Sep 14, 2014 |
The Mysterious Benedict Society challenges your imagination. It leads you on a journey with a group of children who think deeply and like to challenge their own abilities in various ways. They respond to an advertisement for gifted children and after being given some unexpected tests are engaged in a mission to save the world. There are many twists and turns in the story where I found myself trying to solve puzzles and enjoying unexpected events. There was a moment at the end of the book especially which completely surprised me! ( )
  Denise_Barrington | Sep 4, 2014 |
I thought this was just a simple childrens book but I was so wrong. I loved the story I think for me this is one of those books that I will really like to see it as a movie. I like the characters a lot all of them. Like for example constance does not make sense at all with the other members of the team then at the end you realize nothing could have been done without her. There were some things I was not expecting on the book I like the twist on Mr. Benedicts character about him been narcoleptic and everything. I think this is one of those books gthat everyone will enjoy, it was full of suspense and it was funny I loved it. ( )
  angie.arciba | Aug 9, 2014 |
This was a Christmas gift waiting patiently in my closet for many years until I decided to read it. I was enraptured by the clever plot and charming characters. ( )
  aliterarylion | Jul 14, 2014 |
A society of gifted children. The mysterious Benedict Society, a group of kids on a mission. Reynie (Reynard), George (a.k.a "sticky"), Kate, and Constance, are all gifted kids working together to stop Mr.Curtain, Mr.Benedict's twin brother. The children complete a series of tests before being sent to the institute, Mr.Curtain's school. Which is where children are used to send messages so that Mr.Curtain can takeover and become falsely famous. While the children attend the school as spies they work their way up to the top and gain Mr.Curtain's trust. They learn about his device, the whisperer, which would record children's thoughts so Mr.Curtain could use them for his plan. They use morse code to keep in touch with Mr.Benedict while they complete their mission. With careful planning Mr.Benedict shuts off the whisperer and they get out of the institute.

I gave this book a 4 out of 5 star rating. I gave it only 4 stars because, though it was a good book, it was long and the story took awhile to develop. Also, the book seemed never ending. Towards the end it seemed to drag on. The Mysterious Benedict Society was a great book, I would recommend it to anyone who likes long, mystery-like books. All in all it was a good read. ( )
  br14masa | May 19, 2014 |

Trenton Lee Stewartprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ellis, CarsonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roy, DelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elliot

—T.L.S.
In a city called Stonetown, near a port called Stonetown Harbor, a boy named Reynie Muldoon was preparing to take an important test.

Four clever children
One  sleepy benefactor
Bring down the curtain
(jll112)

"Are you a gifted child looking for special opportunities?"

When this peculiar ad appears in the newspaper, dozens of children enroll to take a series of mysterious, mind-bending tests. (And you, dear reader, can test your wits right alongside them.) But in the end just four very special children will succeed. Their challenge: to go on a secret mission that only the most intelligent and resourceful children could complete. To accomplish it they will have to go undercover at the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened, where the only rule is that there are no rules.

As our heroes face physical and mental trials beyond their wildest imaginations, they have no choice but to turn to each other for support. But with their newfound friendship at stake, will they be able to pass the most important test of all?

Welcome to the Mysterious Benedict Society.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:45 -0400)

After passing a series of mind-bending tests, four children are selected for a secret mission that requires them to go undercover at the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened, where the only rule is that there are no rules.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,963,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible