The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton…

The Mysterious Benedict Society

by Trenton Lee Stewart

Other authors: Carson Ellis (Illustrator)

Series: The Mysterious Benedict Society (1)

4,3192061,145 (3.98)181
    The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: Talented, intelligent kids on the trail of a bad guy.
    The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (bezoar44)
    bezoar44: The Mysterious Benedict Society features a team of kids working to solve puzzles and unravel a dangerous mystery at a claustrophobic boarding school; the Westing Game pits several teams of kids and adults, residents of an apartment building, against one another in a race to decode a will and solve several related mysteries.… (more)
    The Girl Who Could Fly by Victoria Forester (Anonymous user)
    Whales on Stilts! by M. T. Anderson (kaledrina)
    The Name Of This Book Is Secret by Pseudonymous Bosch (megan003)
    "Who Could That Be at This Hour?" by Lemony Snicket (Authoress)
    Authoress: Orphaned and semi-orphaned children are chosen to join a secret organization
    Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger (kgriffith)
    The Bad Apple (Merits of Mischief) by T. R. Burns (foggidawn)
    Greenglass House by Kate Milford (cransell)
    The Wright 3 by Blue Balliett (megan003)
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (elenchus)
    elenchus: Both The Mysterious Benedict Society and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory feature children more capable than either their peers or they themselves give credit, and adults who could learn from them. I find in Dahl an undercurrent of misanthropy, which Lee counters without becoming precious.… (more)
    The Journal of Curious Letters by James Dashner (foggidawn)
    The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman (foggidawn)
    The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: It is a great aventure and a very funny book!!

English (205)  Italian (1)  All languages (206)
This story was quite long (clocking in at nearly 500 pages) but worth every moment it took to read!

The story was jam packed with action and memorable characters, and I would like to be their friend in real life. The mystery and the story was wrapped up nicely at the end. By the end of the book, I couldn't believe it was over!

I'm intrigued to read the second book, but at the same time I liked how this story ended and I sort of don't feel the need to read more...I don't know.

I highly recommend this book, and happy reading! ( )
1 vote hawaiianmermaid701 | May 8, 2016 |
I am reading this book and it is delightful, it makes me smile. A very fun read to the whole family or for an older audience like me :) ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
For those of you who don't know, my husband passed away recently. That first night without him, I stayed in the room of the 11-year-old daughter of some family friends. I had been reading some vaguely depressing novel on my Kindle prior to the news, and obviously was in no shape to go back to that, but I badly needed an escape from the overwhelming sense of loss. Fortunately, the daughter's bookshelf was crammed with children's/young adult literature, which was the perfect thing for me in my zombified state. This book was interesting enough to keep me from thinking about my husband's death for minutes at a time, which I think is rather a high compliment; it was also filled with healthy "children can overcome seemingly insurmountable obstacles with good planning and a bit of pluck!" lessons. In that way it reminded me a lot of A Series of Unfortunate Events, which may be something I reread in the near future. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
This book was engaging for me and is engaging for children as well. It offers an exciting story that provides many opportunities for the reader to practice comprehension strategies. This book is a great tool with students to expand vocabulary and to practice metacognition. There are a lot of opportunities to think about what one is reading and practice flexibility as one reads. This would be an awesome read aloud to model such strategies with students. ( )
  MsSpartas | Feb 28, 2016 |
reading this with my kids, nieces and nephews...loving it!
  SkiKatt68 | Feb 26, 2016 |

Trenton Lee Stewartprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ellis, CarsonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Roy, DelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elliot

—T.L.S.
In a city called Stonetown, near a port called Stonetown Harbor, a boy named Reynie Muldoon was preparing to take an important test.

Four clever children
One  sleepy benefactor
Bring down the curtain
(jll112)

"Are you a gifted child looking for special opportunities?"

When this peculiar ad appears in the newspaper, dozens of children enroll to take a series of mysterious, mind-bending tests. (And you, dear reader, can test your wits right alongside them.) But in the end just four very special children will succeed. Their challenge: to go on a secret mission that only the most intelligent and resourceful children could complete. To accomplish it they will have to go undercover at the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened, where the only rule is that there are no rules.

As our heroes face physical and mental trials beyond their wildest imaginations, they have no choice but to turn to each other for support. But with their newfound friendship at stake, will they be able to pass the most important test of all?

Welcome to the Mysterious Benedict Society.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

After passing a series of mind-bending tests, four children are selected for a secret mission that requires them to go undercover at the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened, where the only rule is that there are no rules.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,877,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible