The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton…

The Mysterious Benedict Society

by Trenton Lee Stewart

Series: The Mysterious Benedict Society (1)

Recently added byprivate library, grapeapril75, adelaidejones, manmtn, dperry, northmcp, scottosan45, AmphipodGirl
    The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: Talented, intelligent kids on the trail of a bad guy.
    The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (bezoar44)
    bezoar44: The Mysterious Benedict Society features a team of kids working to solve puzzles and unravel a dangerous mystery at a claustrophobic boarding school; the Westing Game pits several teams of kids and adults, residents of an apartment building, against one another in a race to decode a will and solve several related mysteries.… (more)
    The Name Of This Book Is Secret by Pseudonymous Bosch (megan003)
    Whales on Stilts! by M. T. Anderson (kaledrina)
    The Girl Who Could Fly by Victoria Forester (Anonymous user)
    "Who Could That Be at This Hour?" by Lemony Snicket (Authoress)
    Authoress: Orphaned and semi-orphaned children are chosen to join a secret organization
    The Bad Apple (Merits of Mischief) by T. R. Burns (foggidawn)
    The Wright 3 by Blue Balliett (megan003)
    The Journal of Curious Letters by James Dashner (foggidawn)
    The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman (foggidawn)
    The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: It is a great aventure and a very funny book!!

English (181)  Italian (1)  All languages (182)
It was EXCELLENT! I have to read the whole series now...

Each character is an awesomely exaggerated caricature of a trait recognized in Gifted children: Contrariness/stubbornness, good with puzzles, good at remembering material we have read only once, very resourceful, etc. I think that may be the best young adult novel I have read since T.A. Barron's Lost Years of Merlin series. It definitely surpassed Harry Potter and Hunger Games, in my opinion. Of course, since I grew up in Gifted classes, I may be a bit biased.

My favorite quote in the book is from pages 256-257:

"I was wondering if you ever wish you had a family," Reynie sputtered. He hadn't meant to speak so directly, but once he'd begun to ask it, the words just tumbled out.

Mr. Benedict nodded. "Certainly when I was your age I did. But not anymore."

Reynie wasn't sure whether to be comforted or depressed by this revelation. He'd been wondering how it would feel for him to grow up without relatives. "You . . . you grew out of it, then? You stopped wanting it?"

"Oh, no, Reynie, you don't grow out of it. It's just that once you acquire a family, you no longer need to wish for one."

Reynie was caught off guard. "You have a family?"

"Absolutely," Mr. Benedict replied. "You must remember, family is often born of blood, but it doesn't depend on blood. Nor is it exclusive of friendship. Family members can be your best friends, you know. And best friends, whether or not they are related to you, can be your family."

Reynie had drunk up those words like life-saving medicine. ( )
  KDKat5 | Sep 30, 2014 |
Humor pulls you into this one right away. A group of unusual tweens who come from a variety of living circumstances find themselves being thrown into a mystery that can only save the world.
  sacnate | Sep 14, 2014 |
The Mysterious Benedict Society challenges your imagination. It leads you on a journey with a group of children who think deeply and like to challenge their own abilities in various ways. They respond to an advertisement for gifted children and after being given some unexpected tests are engaged in a mission to save the world. There are many twists and turns in the story where I found myself trying to solve puzzles and enjoying unexpected events. There was a moment at the end of the book especially which completely surprised me! ( )
  Denise_Barrington | Sep 4, 2014 |
I thought this was just a simple childrens book but I was so wrong. I loved the story I think for me this is one of those books that I will really like to see it as a movie. I like the characters a lot all of them. Like for example constance does not make sense at all with the other members of the team then at the end you realize nothing could have been done without her. There were some things I was not expecting on the book I like the twist on Mr. Benedicts character about him been narcoleptic and everything. I think this is one of those books gthat everyone will enjoy, it was full of suspense and it was funny I loved it. ( )
  angie.arciba | Aug 9, 2014 |
This was a Christmas gift waiting patiently in my closet for many years until I decided to read it. I was enraptured by the clever plot and charming characters. ( )
  aliterarylion | Jul 14, 2014 |

Trenton Lee Stewartprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ellis, CarsonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roy, DelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elliot

—T.L.S.
In a city called Stonetown, near a port called Stonetown Harbor, a boy named Reynie Muldoon was preparing to take an important test.

Four clever children
One  sleepy benefactor
Bring down the curtain
(jll112)

"Are you a gifted child looking for special opportunities?"

When this peculiar ad appears in the newspaper, dozens of children enroll to take a series of mysterious, mind-bending tests. (And you, dear reader, can test your wits right alongside them.) But in the end just four very special children will succeed. Their challenge: to go on a secret mission that only the most intelligent and resourceful children could complete. To accomplish it they will have to go undercover at the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened, where the only rule is that there are no rules.

As our heroes face physical and mental trials beyond their wildest imaginations, they have no choice but to turn to each other for support. But with their newfound friendship at stake, will they be able to pass the most important test of all?

Welcome to the Mysterious Benedict Society.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:45 -0400)

After passing a series of mind-bending tests, four children are selected for a secret mission that requires them to go undercover at the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened, where the only rule is that there are no rules.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,315,718 books! | Top bar: Always visible