The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton…

The Mysterious Benedict Society

by Trenton Lee Stewart

Other authors: Carson Ellis (Illustrator)

Series: The Mysterious Benedict Society (1)

4,0171931,272 (4)177
    The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: Talented, intelligent kids on the trail of a bad guy.
    The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (bezoar44)
    bezoar44: The Mysterious Benedict Society features a team of kids working to solve puzzles and unravel a dangerous mystery at a claustrophobic boarding school; the Westing Game pits several teams of kids and adults, residents of an apartment building, against one another in a race to decode a will and solve several related mysteries.… (more)
    The Girl Who Could Fly by Victoria Forester (Anonymous user)
    Whales on Stilts! by M. T. Anderson (kaledrina)
    The Name Of This Book Is Secret by Pseudonymous Bosch (megan003)
    "Who Could That Be at This Hour?" by Lemony Snicket (Authoress)
    Authoress: Orphaned and semi-orphaned children are chosen to join a secret organization
    Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger (kgriffith)
    The Bad Apple (Merits of Mischief) by T. R. Burns (foggidawn)
    Greenglass House by Kate Milford (cransell)
    The Wright 3 by Blue Balliett (megan003)
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (elenchus)
    elenchus: Both The Mysterious Benedict Society and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory feature children more capable than either their peers or they themselves give credit, and adults who could learn from them. I find in Dahl an undercurrent of misanthropy, which Lee counters without becoming precious.… (more)
    The Journal of Curious Letters by James Dashner (foggidawn)
    The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman (foggidawn)
    The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: It is a great aventure and a very funny book!!

English (192)  Italian (1)  All languages (193)
Four very brave, virtually homeless children are chosen to investigate what's happening on Nomansan Island. They uncover a plot to invade the minds of everyone in the world. ( )
  jrwporras | Jul 16, 2015 |
This is a very cool premise for a story. I had to keep reminding myself what age group this was written for as I was reading it, since i had a bit of a hard time with some of the elements in the story. I think it is a good read for upper elementary students. ( )
  EllsbethB | Jul 1, 2015 |
The plot lines and characters were well thought out and pretty engaging but the book was way too long!!!! ( )
  rebeccar76 | Jun 24, 2015 |
"ARE YOU A GIFTED CHILD LOOKING FOR SPECIAL OPPORTUNITIES?" read the newsprint ad.

I was at the bookstore a couple weeks ago, and I noticed this book. It looked very interesting, but it wasn't exactly a must read book for me, especially if I had to buy it. I'd actually never heard of it, and so the title didn't jump to mind. A few weeks later, after I had finished reading my latest book, I took a look at my bookshelf for what I should read next. My friend had recently left the country, as I'm in Korea right now, and she dumped a whole mess of books on my lap at the time. And so, while scanning the books, I realized that I already had this book. Maybe it was a sign for me to read the book.

The Mysterious Benedict Society is a wonderful children's book by Trenton Lee Stewart. After four gifted youngsters are admitted to a mysterious school, granted they had to pass some tests of virtue and cleverness, things begin to unravel. As the story progrosses, you'll learn more about what makes each of these kids tick. Although this is a children's book, the issues that they're dealing with are still delving into serious issues. I personally would have liked it more if the issues were taken a step further than they were presented, but I'm not complaining.

Some of the other themes, as opposed to the issues of the children themselves, were a bit more covert. There is obvisously the symbol of The Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened (LIVE), which is a representation for businesses in general. The things that the Institute could get away with is preposterous, even going so far as to manipulate and control the public. To overcome them, it would take the innocence and craftiness of four children to thwart the evilness.

The other big symbol I thought was interesting was that of Mr. Benedict/Mr. Curtain. Mr. Benedict is thi all knowing character, as if he could read the minds of the children. He's very eccentric, and very loving. He kind of reminds me of Professor Dumbledore (if you don't know who that is, I might punch you). I think his characterization is slightly cliche, but at least his narcolepsy adds in some levity. Mr. Curtain, on the other hand, is the complete opposite of Mr. Benedict, and at least his character felt a little more unique.

"Being a Messenger is a responsibility, a matter of leadership. When you're a Messenger, you're so busy helping Mr. Curtain that you hardly have time to think. In fact...it seems like only yesterday I was made Messenger, and now I'm going home already. I've been so busy that everything in between seems like a blur" (pg 230). Does this remind you of anyone? If so, then just remember to slow down in life sometimes. All work and no play makes a dull human being. This quote, spoken by a child, sounds more and more common nowadays as children are made to study long hours and do homework, having no time for themselves. And just because one is an adult shouldn't mean they shouldn't have time for themselves to. Take some time to relax. Take some time to read a book. Who knows...you might just learn something. ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
This book is about four extraordinary children and how they save the world. Reynie, Sticky, Kate and Constance are four gifted children that met each other while taking a mysterious test. After passing these tests the children meet a man named Mr. Benedict. He tells them that the world is being bombarded with mental messages that cause confusion and fear. he needs their help to stop these messages. Mr. Benedict enrolls them at the Institute for Higher Learning. The messages are being transmitted from this location by a man named Mr. Curtain. After finding out how the messages are being transmitted, the children stage and assault on Mr. Curtain and foil his plan to take over the world.

The Mysterious Benedict Society is an amazing book that challenges your mind. It keeps you guessing in every chapter. Trenton Lee Stewart is an awesome author who makes you think. The plot is interesting and exciting. The characters are all lovable in their own ways. This is honestly one of my favorite books of all time. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to work out their minds. ( )
  justiceb.B1 | May 28, 2015 |

Trenton Lee Stewartprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ellis, CarsonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Roy, DelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elliot

—T.L.S.
In a city called Stonetown, near a port called Stonetown Harbor, a boy named Reynie Muldoon was preparing to take an important test.

Four clever children
One  sleepy benefactor
Bring down the curtain
(jll112)

"Are you a gifted child looking for special opportunities?"

When this peculiar ad appears in the newspaper, dozens of children enroll to take a series of mysterious, mind-bending tests. (And you, dear reader, can test your wits right alongside them.) But in the end just four very special children will succeed. Their challenge: to go on a secret mission that only the most intelligent and resourceful children could complete. To accomplish it they will have to go undercover at the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened, where the only rule is that there are no rules.

As our heroes face physical and mental trials beyond their wildest imaginations, they have no choice but to turn to each other for support. But with their newfound friendship at stake, will they be able to pass the most important test of all?

Welcome to the Mysterious Benedict Society.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

After passing a series of mind-bending tests, four children are selected for a secret mission that requires them to go undercover at the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened, where the only rule is that there are no rules.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,073,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible