The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton…

The Mysterious Benedict Society

by Trenton Lee Stewart

Other authors: Carson Ellis (Illustrator)

Series: The Mysterious Benedict Society (1)

4,916220929 (3.98)185
    The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: Talented, intelligent kids on the trail of a bad guy.
    The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (bezoar44)
    bezoar44: The Mysterious Benedict Society features a team of kids working to solve puzzles and unravel a dangerous mystery at a claustrophobic boarding school; the Westing Game pits several teams of kids and adults, residents of an apartment building, against one another in a race to decode a will and solve several related mysteries.… (more)
    The Girl Who Could Fly by Victoria Forester (Anonymous user)
    Whales on Stilts! by M. T. Anderson (kaledrina)
    The Name of This Book Is Secret by Pseudonymous Bosch (megan003)
    "Who Could That Be at This Hour?" by Lemony Snicket (Authoress)
    Authoress: Orphaned and semi-orphaned children are chosen to join a secret organization
    Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger (kgriffith)
    The Bad Apple (Merits of Mischief) by T. R. Burns (foggidawn)
    Greenglass House by Kate Milford (cransell)
    The Wright 3 by Blue Balliett (megan003)
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (elenchus)
    elenchus: Both The Mysterious Benedict Society and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory feature children more capable than either their peers or they themselves give credit, and adults who could learn from them. I find in Dahl an undercurrent of misanthropy, which Lee counters without becoming precious.… (more)
    The Journal of Curious Letters by James Dashner (foggidawn)
    The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman (foggidawn)
    The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: It is a great aventure and a very funny book!!

English (219)  Italian (1)  All (220)
So torn between 2 stars and 3. I was waiting for this book to get on its legs and it didn't get there until the last 40 pages? If it takes 440 pages to get the payoff is it really worth it? I'm still deciding. It wasn't all bad but it certainly could have been truncated. ( )
  Pashii | Aug 28, 2017 |
I have really been enjoying the exploration of my library's middle grade fiction section. For the most part, I just grabbed books from the shelves that had interesting covers. This led me to The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart with illustrations by Carson Ellis (I told you she'd be mentioned again). If you're looking for a contemporary adventure story mixed with science fiction then you've found the right book (and series). The reader follows 4 orphaned (or semi-orphaned as the case may be) kids as they are taken under the tutelage of Mr. Benedict, a narcoleptic genius intent on saving the world. These aren't your typical children either. They are all gifted in very distinct ways and their combined powers make a heckuva team and that's what Mr. Benedict is counting on to turn the tide in their favor. The kids are set a seemingly impossible mission and are beset with obstacles at every turn. And that is what makes this such a fun and exciting read. I'm being deliberately vague in regards to their gifts and the specific peril that they are fighting against as it would no doubt ruin the twists and turns of Stewart's narrative. Suffice it to say, this was a really enjoyable book and I fully intend to continue the series. ( )
  AliceaP | Aug 25, 2017 |
Aimed at a middle-school audience, but enjoyable enough for their parents to read, too. ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Aug 14, 2017 |
It's almost a month since I've started reading this book. Usually I could finish a thick book like this within a week or just several days. But I got bored in the first part because of the slow pacing of the story. I only got hooked in the story from the half part till the end.

There are at least 4 other books in this series but I'm not sure I will spare time to read them. This first book is like a preview for me if the book a series is good or not and I'm a little disappointed with what I've read here. ( )
  fugou | Aug 14, 2017 |
I first came across this book when working on the children's library at our children's elementary school, a few years ago.

Whew, this was a rather long book for this age group. It reminds me of the story in A Series of Unfortunate Events, not in the writing style, though.

The sorry is based on farcical elements.i can handle that. I didn't find it terribly interesting. Two characters who play lead roles in the story could be perfectly portrayed by Steve Martin of this ever makes it to a streaming or cinematic platform. If he were playing those roles, I wpyld absolutely watch it. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | Aug 1, 2017 |

Trenton Lee Stewartprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ellis, CarsonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Roy, DelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elliot

—T.L.S.
In a city called Stonetown, near a port called Stonetown Harbor, a boy named Reynie Muldoon was preparing to take an important test.

Four clever children
One  sleepy benefactor
Bring down the curtain
(jll112)

"Are you a gifted child looking for special opportunities?"

When this peculiar ad appears in the newspaper, dozens of children enroll to take a series of mysterious, mind-bending tests. (And you, dear reader, can test your wits right alongside them.) But in the end just four very special children will succeed. Their challenge: to go on a secret mission that only the most intelligent and resourceful children could complete. To accomplish it they will have to go undercover at the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened, where the only rule is that there are no rules.

As our heroes face physical and mental trials beyond their wildest imaginations, they have no choice but to turn to each other for support. But with their newfound friendship at stake, will they be able to pass the most important test of all?

Welcome to the Mysterious Benedict Society.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

After passing a series of mind-bending tests, four children are selected for a secret mission that requires them to go undercover at the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened, where the only rule is that there are no rules.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,689,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible