The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton…

The Mysterious Benedict Society (edition 2007)

by Trenton Lee Stewart, Carson Ellis (Illustrator)

Member:MEAWelsh
Title:The Mysterious Benedict Society
Authors:Trenton Lee Stewart
Other authors:Carson Ellis (Illustrator)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2007), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 485 pages

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart

The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 1) by Lemony Snicket (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: Talented, intelligent kids on the trail of a bad guy.
    The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (bezoar44)
    bezoar44: The Mysterious Benedict Society features a team of kids working to solve puzzles and unravel a dangerous mystery at a claustrophobic boarding school; the Westing Game pits several teams of kids and adults, residents of an apartment building, against one another in a race to decode a will and solve several related mysteries.… (more)
    The Girl Who Could Fly by Victoria Forester (Anonymous user)
    Whales on Stilts! by M. T. Anderson (kaledrina)
    The Name Of This Book Is Secret by Pseudonymous Bosch (megan003)
    "Who Could That Be at This Hour?" by Lemony Snicket (Authoress)
    Authoress: Orphaned and semi-orphaned children are chosen to join a secret organization
    Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger (kgriffith)
    The Bad Apple (Merits of Mischief) by T. R. Burns (foggidawn)
    Greenglass House by Kate Milford (cransell)
    The Wright 3 by Blue Balliett (megan003)
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (elenchus)
    elenchus: Both The Mysterious Benedict Society and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory feature children more capable than either their peers or they themselves give credit, and adults who could learn from them. I find in Dahl an undercurrent of misanthropy, which Lee counters without becoming precious.… (more)
    The Journal of Curious Letters by James Dashner (foggidawn)
    The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman (foggidawn)
    The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: It is a great aventure and a very funny book!!

English (188)  Italian (1)  All languages (189)
This book is about four extraordinary children and how they save the world. Reynie, Sticky, Kate and Constance are four gifted children that met each other while taking a mysterious test. After passing these tests the children meet a man named Mr. Benedict. He tells them that the world is being bombarded with mental messages that cause confusion and fear. he needs their help to stop these messages. Mr. Benedict enrolls them at the Institute for Higher Learning. The messages are being transmitted from this location by a man named Mr. Curtain. After finding out how the messages are being transmitted, the children stage and assault on Mr. Curtain and foil his plan to take over the world.

The Mysterious Benedict Society is an amazing book that challenges your mind. It keeps you guessing in every chapter. Trenton Lee Stewart is an awesome author who makes you think. The plot is interesting and exciting. The characters are all lovable in their own ways. This is honestly one of my favorite books of all time. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to work out their minds. ( )
  justiceb.B1 | May 28, 2015 |
Christmas gift 2014, we read it aloud over the next six weeks, both of us charmed. It's genuinely clever, and a fun read: the puzzles are clever (both for the characters and for us), as are the premise and adventure; and, there's fun in the quirky personalities, the villain, and generally the friendships among main characters and minor.

Both fun and clever were many plot twists and puzzle solutions, perhaps my favourite the unexpected reveal of Constance's secret. (It's clear something is coming, but I did not suspect that!)

Upon completion, we reserved the second book from the library and began it immediately.

This edition features line drawing headpieces incorporating the chapter title. ( )
  elenchus | Mar 16, 2015 |
What would you do if you were a kid, and you were asked to spy on a dangerous man, who was trying to rule the world by brainwashing all of humankind? Well, if you are anything like Reynie, Kate, Sticky and Constance, then you would have accepted immediately. Acting as spies for their benefactor, Mr. Benedict, the four kids will have their hands full trying to survive in a hostile environment and stop mad scientist Mr. Curtain from achieving his insane and evil plan. But what can four kids do against such odds?

While this book was by no means boring, it was still predictable to a painfully obvious level. The characters were unique, and each of thmem enjoyable with their quirks and hidden talents. The plot was a good one, even if it bordered the impossible in terms of luck for the main characters. And Stewart does have a way with words. But I still would have appreciated beig shocked at SOME point, I guess....

I'll give the second book of the series a try, though. I do believe it might actually get better and all.... ( )
  Lydia_Perversius | Jan 30, 2015 |
hmm. other than the fact that I could predict the plot twists a few pages before they happened, I also felt like the characters were a tad cardboardy. I mean, is Constance ever not grumpy? exactly. but I liked it. ( )
  IsaboeOfLumatere | Jan 14, 2015 |

Trenton Lee Stewartprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ellis, CarsonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roy, DelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elliot

—T.L.S.
In a city called Stonetown, near a port called Stonetown Harbor, a boy named Reynie Muldoon was preparing to take an important test.

Four clever children
One  sleepy benefactor
Bring down the curtain
(jll112)

"Are you a gifted child looking for special opportunities?"

When this peculiar ad appears in the newspaper, dozens of children enroll to take a series of mysterious, mind-bending tests. (And you, dear reader, can test your wits right alongside them.) But in the end just four very special children will succeed. Their challenge: to go on a secret mission that only the most intelligent and resourceful children could complete. To accomplish it they will have to go undercover at the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened, where the only rule is that there are no rules.

As our heroes face physical and mental trials beyond their wildest imaginations, they have no choice but to turn to each other for support. But with their newfound friendship at stake, will they be able to pass the most important test of all?

Welcome to the Mysterious Benedict Society.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:45 -0400)

After passing a series of mind-bending tests, four children are selected for a secret mission that requires them to go undercover at the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened, where the only rule is that there are no rules.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,312,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible