The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton…

The Mysterious Benedict Society (edition 2007)

by Trenton Lee Stewart, Carson Ellis (Illustrator)

Member:enemyanniemae
Title:The Mysterious Benedict Society
Authors:Trenton Lee Stewart
Other authors:Carson Ellis (Illustrator)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2007), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 485 pages
Rating:***

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart

Recently added byFBCBLOOM, private library, outtaty, cannoloni, Hschween, hassel.kara, gpittfield, KoestK, pyrusj
    The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: Talented, intelligent kids on the trail of a bad guy.
    The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (bezoar44)
    bezoar44: The Mysterious Benedict Society features a team of kids working to solve puzzles and unravel a dangerous mystery at a claustrophobic boarding school; the Westing Game pits several teams of kids and adults, residents of an apartment building, against one another in a race to decode a will and solve several related mysteries.… (more)
    The Girl Who Could Fly by Victoria Forester (Anonymous user)
    Whales on Stilts! by M. T. Anderson (kaledrina)
    The Name Of This Book Is Secret by Pseudonymous Bosch (megan003)
    "Who Could That Be at This Hour?" by Lemony Snicket (Authoress)
    Authoress: Orphaned and semi-orphaned children are chosen to join a secret organization
    Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger (kgriffith)
    The Bad Apple (Merits of Mischief) by T. R. Burns (foggidawn)
    Greenglass House by Kate Milford (cransell)
    The Wright 3 by Blue Balliett (megan003)
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (elenchus)
    elenchus: Both The Mysterious Benedict Society and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory feature children more capable than either their peers or they themselves give credit, and adults who could learn from them. I find in Dahl an undercurrent of misanthropy, which Lee counters without becoming precious.… (more)
    The Journal of Curious Letters by James Dashner (foggidawn)
    The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman (foggidawn)
    The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: It is a great aventure and a very funny book!!

English (212)  Italian (1)  All languages (213)
This is a wonderful book that I loved as an adult and would have cherished as a kid. This whole book had my mind reeling-- I was on the edge of my seat from the suspense. Also, I really enjoyed that each of the characters was quirky and cunning in their own way. I would love to read this book out loud to my class. This book contains a lot of underlying messages about education that could lead to greta discussions. ( )
  alaina.loescher | Jun 28, 2016 |
A fantastic first novel, The Mysterious Benedict Society engages the reader immediately and keeps the pages turning at an incredible clip. From laugh-out-loud quips to awful puns, clever puzzles to a-ha moments of self-discovery, this book intended for young readers can be enjoyed by anyone who recognizes and appreciates the power of a child's mind. The primary and supporting characters' adventures of the mind and body are sure to appeal to all types, and the quirks of each make it easy to remember who's who, even when the action approaches breakneck speed. ( )
  kristi_test_05 | Jun 20, 2016 |
  kristi_test_05 | Jun 20, 2016 |
The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart is such a fun book to read. It's original, funny, quirky, intelligent, and all-together a really exciting story. The story centers around four gifted children: Reynie, Sticky, Kate, and Constance. These four kids are recruited through a test developed by the elusive Mr. Benedict. They come together to form the Mysterious Benedict Society, and are sent on a mission to investigate L.I.V.E. (the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened), a facility run by the antagonist Mr. Curtain. What's so great about this novel is that each of the characters is different and special in their own way, which makes learning about them that much more exciting. This was a childhood favorite for me, definitely. ( )
  kdavis17 | Jun 9, 2016 |

I see this is a common attitude among the adult readers of the Children's Books group. Children seem to have more patience.

Btw, I did try to solve the puzzles with the children, and did get some of them. Usually I solved them the way Reynie did. I think that's because I enjoy brain-teasers and have tried to work through lots of puzzle books and magazines. But - would I have passed the tests completely? I think maybe not... even when I was young, with a fresh mind, and labeled 'gifted,' I wasn't that bright.
____________________

Ok, well, I picked it back up for one more go, and found myself engaged enough by the adventures and the world-building of the school to finish it. I did quite enjoy it after all, and, tbh, I'm not sure I understand why some readers find the ending reliant on coincidences and lazy. I suppose I'm overlooking things, but what I saw was the culminations of lots of clues and lots of build-ups.

That all being said, I think I will not read the sequels, and skip directly to the prequel, because I'm not fond of series or adventures. I often read first books of series because I *am* fond of world-building, but I usually stop after that one. " ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |

Trenton Lee Stewartprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ellis, CarsonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Roy, DelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elliot

—T.L.S.
In a city called Stonetown, near a port called Stonetown Harbor, a boy named Reynie Muldoon was preparing to take an important test.

Four clever children
One  sleepy benefactor
Bring down the curtain
(jll112)

"Are you a gifted child looking for special opportunities?"

When this peculiar ad appears in the newspaper, dozens of children enroll to take a series of mysterious, mind-bending tests. (And you, dear reader, can test your wits right alongside them.) But in the end just four very special children will succeed. Their challenge: to go on a secret mission that only the most intelligent and resourceful children could complete. To accomplish it they will have to go undercover at the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened, where the only rule is that there are no rules.

As our heroes face physical and mental trials beyond their wildest imaginations, they have no choice but to turn to each other for support. But with their newfound friendship at stake, will they be able to pass the most important test of all?

Welcome to the Mysterious Benedict Society.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

After passing a series of mind-bending tests, four children are selected for a secret mission that requires them to go undercover at the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened, where the only rule is that there are no rules.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,509,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible