New Horizons in Linguistics 1 by John Lyons

New Horizons in Linguistics 1 (1970)

by John Lyons (Editor)

Probably a decent look at the field - in 1970. Forty years later its style seems very dry even for academic writing, and it seems to hit a sour spot - each article felt too short to get me interested in the subfield it discussed or explore a topic, but too technical to suit someone looking for a primer. In fairness, the back of the book says as much. It was intended as a report into developments in linguistics in 1970, for existing linguists, and unfortunately that very specific niche is really no longer relevant.

It's possible that if I was more interested in some of the subjects - generative grammar, say, or the semantic end of things - I'd have got more out of it. As it was the book failed to inspire me towards any of those topics, and had little to offer in my preferred areas of actual languages, comparative, social and anthropological issues. It had an emphasis on quite theoretical and brain-based topics that don't do much for me. ( )
  Shimmin | Jan 22, 2013 |
1. INTRODUCTION
John Lyons
What is Linguistics?
Linguistics may be defined as the scientific study of language. This definition, unexceptionable as far as it goes, is one that will be found in a large number of textbooks and popular introductions to the subject.
THE BIOLOGY OF COMMUNICATION IN MAN AND ANIMALS
J.C. Marshall
The Unavailability of the 'Natural History' of Language
The systematic study of language as a biological phenomenon has but a short history (although Marx, 1967, summarizes its more remote beginnings).

1 avail.2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,919,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible