Drumming at the Edge of Magic: A Journey…

Drumming at the Edge of Magic: A Journey into the Spirit of Percussion (edition 1998)

by Mickey Hart, Jay Stevens, Fredric Lieberman

Member:teachingdrum
Title:Drumming at the Edge of Magic: A Journey into the Spirit of Percussion
Authors:Mickey Hart
Other authors:Jay Stevens, Fredric Lieberman
Info:Acid Test Productions (1998), Paperback, 264 pages

Drumming at the Edge of Magic: A Journey into the Spirit of Percussion by Mickey Hart

English (5)  All (1)  All (6)
Brilliant, intoxicating... and yet patient.
Each chapter found my hands tapping out a rhythm (each one different) of their own accord, as though the book was guiding them.
I learned a lot about drumming, drums, rhythm ... and history! ( )
  shadowdancer | Jun 22, 2017 |
This book, along with the earlier released 'Planet Drum' in an amazing collection of information on the sacredness of drums and drumming around the world. If you thought that the Greatful Dead were just a good live show, read this book and listen to Planet Drim. Hart is responsible for the Lib. of Congress's efforts to catalogue and preserve the aspect of drumming around the world. I have a new found respect for Hart, I knew he was good, as a band memeber and to see the effort and work he has put into preserving our worlds drumming heritage goes way beyong mere curiosity. His work will be a milestone in the annals of musicology, I am certain of it. ( )
  oldmanriver1951 | Jul 5, 2007 |
This was an interesting book, written by the drummer of the Grateful Dead (which is not why I read it; I've never been a Dead fan. I was interested in drumming). Part autobiography, part information about the culture and history of drumming, this is a great book for anyone interested in that subject. ( )
1 vote herebedragons | Feb 10, 2007 |
Mickey Hart noticed that there wasn't a good general introduction to the anthropological and musicological literature on percussion, so he pulled one together. And did an excellent job of it, too! Fascinating stuff.
  kencf0618 | Oct 3, 2005 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,183,733 books! | Top bar: Always visible