Amazing Grace: A Vocabulary of Faith by…

Amazing Grace: A Vocabulary of Faith (original 1998; edition 1999)

by Kathleen Norris (Author)

"Struggling with her return to the Christian church after many years away, Kathleen Norris found it was the language of Christianity that most distanced her from faith. Words like "judgment", "faith", "dogma", "salvation", "sinner" -- even "Christ" -- formed what she called her "scary vocabulary", words that had become so codified or abstract that their meanings were all but impenetrable. She found she had to wrestle with them and make them her own before they could confer their blessings and their grace. Blending history, theology, story-telling, etymology, and memoir, Norris uses these words as a starting point for reflection, and offers a moving account of her own gradual conversion. She evokes a rich spirituality rooted firmly in the chaos of everyday life -- and offers believers and doubters alike an illuminating perspective on how we can embrace ancient traditions and find faith in the contemporary world." -- from back cover.… (more)
Member:Grobiewan
Title:Amazing Grace: A Vocabulary of Faith
Authors:Kathleen Norris (Author)
Info:Riverhead Books (1999), Edition: Revised ed., 384 pages

Amazing Grace: A Vocabulary of Faith by Kathleen Norris (1998)

A wonderful slow muse on religious language as it relates to experience. My favorite ones: Chosen, Pentecostal, Asceticism and Infallibility. Oh, and the one on Prayer was so good I went to the trouble of xeroxing it for a friend. It was bed time reading for over a year, one paragraph at a time. Perfect for tilting the close of the day to peace. ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
From the New York Times-bestselling author of The Cloister Walk, a book about Christianity, spirituality, and rediscovered faith.

Struggling with her return to the Christian church after many years away, Kathleen Norris found it was the language of Christianity that most distanced her from faith. Words like "judgment," "faith," "dogma," "salvation," "sinner"—even "Christ"—formed what she called her "scary vocabulary," words that had become so codified or abstract that their meanings were all but impenetrable. She found she had to wrestle with them and make them her own before they could confer their blessings and their grace. Blending history, theology, storytelling, etymology, and memoir, Norris uses these words as a starting point for reflection, and offers a moving account of her own gradual conversion. She evokes a rich spirituality rooted firmly in the chaos of everyday life—and offers believers and doubters alike an illuminating perspective on how we can embrace ancient traditions and find faith in the contemporary world.
  StFrancisofAssisi | Apr 29, 2019 |
Kathleen Norris writes poetically about Christian spirituality. And she has a gift of connecting with her readers both of faith and of doubt. I constantly find that she is putting words to my feelings, and this book is no different.

Amazing Grace is a collection of short stories arranged by topic, and which act as small meditatiions on a theme - grace, incarnation. ( )
  patl | Feb 18, 2019 |
From the publisher:

"Struggling with her return to the Christian church after many years away, Kathleen Norris found it was the language of Christianity that most distanced her from faith. Words like "judgment," "faith," "dogma," "salvation," "sinner"'even "Christ"'formed what she called her "scary vocabulary," words that had become so codified or abstract that their meanings were all but impenetrable. She found she had to wrestle with them and make them her own before they could confer their blessings and their grace. Blending history, theology, storytelling, etymology, and memoir, Norris uses these words as a starting point for reflection, and offers a moving account of her own gradual conversion. She evokes a rich spirituality rooted firmly in the chaos of everyday life'and offers believers and doubters alike an illuminating perspective on how we can embrace ancient traditions and find faith in the contemporary world."
  St-Johns-Episcopal | Jun 17, 2017 |
Great book. I had been hounding my men's bible study group to read it and discuss it as a group (I eventually gave up on that and decided to just read it on my own); after reading it, I believe more than ever that there is a terrific amount of material to discuss, with most chapters only a few pages long. Kathleen Norris provides thoughts on many terms associated with the Chritian faith, and many of her comments will provoke some soul-searching, by members of all Christian traditions. Something for everyone. And great for those that are seeking to understand some of the words we Christians seem to throw around believing that everyone else understands what we are saying. A very good read in my opinion. ( )
  highlander6022 | Mar 16, 2016 |
O to grace how great a debtor...Robert Robertson-"Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing"
For my husband David
I was about sixteen years of age when I discovered the word "eschatology."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,787,043 books! | Top bar: Always visible