The Queen Geek Social Club by Laura Preble

The Queen Geek Social Club

by Laura Preble

Reviewed by Randstostipher "tallnlankyrn" Nguyen for TeensReadToo.com

Everything was perfectly fine for Shelby Chapelle. After her mother had passed away, she was used to her life being just about her father, her robot, and herself. She was fine with the fact that she was not the most popular person at her school. Sure, she kept to herself most of the time, but she did go on dates with guys from her school, she was smart, and she knew some people. Shelby's life seemed normal to her. But then everything changed when the freakishly tall girl with the dragon tattoo came into her class. She was weird and a little intimidating, but the new girl, Becca Gallagher, became Shelby's first real friend.

Weeks later, Becca starts to come over to Shelby's house to meet her weird father and her weird mother-like robot, and hang out. Shelby would fill Becca in as to all the necessary info about Green Pines High School, the school that they attended, and Becca would discuss her crazy life. Sure, Becca was a little wild with odd ideas, but Shelby was fine with it. That is until Becca comes up with the strangest idea ever. What if they could create a group to join all the girl geeks from the school to first take over the school's social hierarchy--and then the world? At first, it seemed like the craziest idea, but Shelby didn't want to lose her only friend so she went along with it. Soon, the girls start the Queen Geeks Social Club and girls start to join. They devise a plan to collect Twinkies to send to a modeling agency to stop models from going hungry. Why Twinkies? Because they can last through a nuclear explosion, that's why.

Things could not get any weirder, until some guy, Fletcher Berkowitz, enters the picture. He may be one of the coolest and popular guys in school, but to Shelby he's just plain annoying. For some reason, he likes Shelby, but of course she has no idea why. Along with that, Shelby's dad starts to act even more weird than usual. Not only is he out of his lab, but he seems a little happier.

Everything started going crazy right when Becca Gallagher entered Shelby's life. It's now up to Shelby to find out what Becca really wants, and to solve the problems which need to be solved.

THE QUEEN GEEK SOCIAL CLUB was a fantastic read that was a definite page-turner. Fast-paced and well-developed, Laura Preble captures the mind of a teenager to the fullest. The fact that Shelby was a geek and not some materialistic girl made the story much more fun to read. A coming-of-age story that not only sparks the mind but also strikes a spot in your heart, THE QUEEN GEEK SOCIAL CLUB is a novel that should be on everyone's must-read list. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 12, 2009 |
I find myself at an impasse with this book. While I don’t necessarily love it, there were certainly elements of the story that I did enjoy. There wasn’t anything in this novel that grabbed me. I never had that “moment” where it was no longer a choice if I should continue reading, but that I must! But that’s not to say that I didn’t completely enjoy reading this novel. The characters were a toss up for me as well. I didn’t particular like any of them besides Euphoria. Shelby and Becca seemed... what’s the word I’m looking for here... sporadic, perhaps perplexing. Ugh, needless to say they aren’t my all time favorite literary characters. Euphoria, however, was the most human character in the novel and she is only a robot!The plot was semi interesting. I guess, that maybe, I just didn’t get the whole Queen Geek Social Club. I mean sure it’s possible, but is it probable? Not saying that something has to be probable to make a story work, but something about it just didn’t settle with me. The pace of the story seemed slow, hence never having that “moment” of an attention grabbing epiphany.Overall, while there were obviously things that I found lackluster in this novel, it was a satisfying read. I will continue to read the series, it has snagged my attention at least that much. And perhaps the series will get better as it continues as so many do. ( )
  the_story_siren | Jul 2, 2009 |
Another YA, not quite as good. I liked it ok. Its about two high school girls who are sick of the popular crowd running everything at their school. (And maybe in society in general). They think instead it should be run by people like them, smart creative people. In other words, geeks. They form the "Queen Geek Social Club" to get other girls like them to come out of hiding and join them in this cause. It was a fun read, but not something I'd read again. It had a lot of a funny elements, but some of the jokes (particularly involving the main character's robot) were just silly and fell a little flat.
  Lindsayg | Oct 9, 2007 |

If you're somebody like Shelby Chappelle, a smart, witty, pretty geek army of one, you can't just put a poster up at school and advertise for somebody to be your best friend. But now freakishly tall Becca Gallagher has moved to town, with her dragon tattoo and wild ideas. Suddenly Shelby's madscientist father and their robot, Euphoria, seem normal. They become best friends instantly. But Becca wants to shake things up at school and look for "others of our kind"...and decides to form the Queen Geek Social Club.

The thing is, this guy Fletcher Berkowitz keeps nosing around, asking lots of questions about the Club. He's cute, and interesting, and possibly likes Shelby. Therefore, she must torture him. One good thing about being a loner: no one can break your heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:12 -0400)

Seeking more of their own kind and wanting to shake things up at school, fifteen-year-old Shelby and her new best friend, Becca, start a club, but geek solidarity may not solve their problems with weird single parents, guys, or popularity.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,948,825 books! | Top bar: Always visible