For One More Day by Mitch Albom

For One More Day (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Mitch Albom

Member:HelenBaker
Title:For One More Day
Authors:Mitch Albom
Info:Hyperion (2006), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover, 208 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:American Fiction

For One More Day by Mitch Albom (2006)

English (112)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (115)
This is a wonderful loving heartfelt story. It really makes a person sit back and think. ( )
  kybunnies | Oct 19, 2014 |
Absolutely loved it!!! Make sure to have a box of kleenix handy!! ( )
  IceQueenTN | Aug 4, 2014 |
For One More Day by Mitch Albom is the story of a mother and son and the relationship that covers a lifetime and beyond.

Charley "Chick" Benetto was told by his father that he could either be a mommy's boy or a daddy's boy and of course he chooses to be a daddy's boy playing baseball and spending most his time with his father until one day his father leaves home unexpectedly. Chick grows up with just his mom and sister but has irrefutable damage to his psyche due to the divorce and becomes a bad husband, a bad father and an all around broken man who is even shunned by his own family.

He begins drinking heavily and one day decides to just end it all and commit suicide by driving his car off an embankment and into a billboard sign but his plan goes awry and he is thrown from the car and knocked unconscious. While unconscious, he gets a visit from the spirit of his dead mother where he learns of things about her life and the sacrifices she has made for him.

What would we all give for just One More Day with a loved one? I have personally wished for it many times.

Published in 2006 by Hyperion, For One More Day, despite mixed reviews from critics, made it to the top of the New York Times Bestseller list. ( )
  clayhollow | Apr 8, 2014 |
3.5 stars

i could hardly put it down, and it brought tears to my eyes several times. I love it. I was in that dream with Chick all the time, it felt like a dream to me :)
It's my second Mitch Albom book, a page-turner as always: emotional, heartfelt, and enjoyable. ( )
  pathogenik | Mar 2, 2014 |
Loved It...: I got the book for Christmas and didn't start it till after all the hustle and bustle was over. I'm really glad I waited, the book was really worth waiting for, I loved it. I myself have a great relationship with my mother but the charcter could easily be my brother. The book really touched my heart. I myself would highly recommend it.
  lonepalm | Feb 5, 2014 |
This book is dedicated, with love, to Rhoda Albom, the mommy of the mummy.
This is a story about a family and, as there is a ghost involved, you might call it a ghost story.

“Every family is a ghost story . . .”

Mitch Albom mesmerized readers around the world with his number one New York Times bestsellers, The Five People You Meet in Heaven and Tuesdays with Morrie. Now he returns with a beautiful, haunting novel about the family we love and the chances we miss.

For One More Day is the story of a mother and a son, and a relationship that covers a lifetime and beyond. It explores the question: What would you do if you could spend one more day with a lost loved one?

As a child, Charley “Chick” Benetto was told by his father, “You can be a mama’s boy or a daddy’s boy, but you can’t be both.” So he chooses his father, only to see the man disappear when Charley is on the verge of adolescence.

Decades later, Charley is a broken man. His life has been crumbled by alcohol and regret. He loses his job. He leaves his family. He hits bottom after discovering his only daughter has shut him out of her wedding. And he decides to take his own life.

He makes a midnight ride to his small hometown, with plans to do himself in. But upon failing even to do that, he staggers back to his old house, only to make an astonishing discovery. His mother -- who died eight years earlier -- is still living there, and welcomes him home as if nothing ever happened.

Albom has said his relationship with his own mother was largely behind the story of the book, and that several incidents in “For One More Day” are actual events from his childhood.

In an inspirational debut novel by the author of Tuesdays with Morrie, Charles "Chick" Benetto, grieving over the death of his mother, uses alcohol as a crutch to deal with his loneliness, isolation, and depression and the disintegration of his life, until an encounter with his mother's ghost brings him new awareness and leads him to attempt to put his life back together.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,465,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible