For One More Day by Mitch Albom

For One More Day (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Mitch Albom

Member:HelenBaker
Title:For One More Day
Authors:Mitch Albom
Info:Hyperion (2006), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover, 208 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:American Fiction

For One More Day by Mitch Albom (2006)

English (124)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (127)
For One More Day by Mitch Albom

★★★★

What would you do if you had one more day with a loved one who has passed away? I don’t know about you but it’s a question that has gone through my head. The “what if?” of it all. This book focuses on a son and his mother’s relationship, even after her death.

I’ve read several Albom novels and as usual, I was not disappointed by this book. For One More Day is a short, easy read but packs a powerful punch. I have not lost my mom, as this book focuses on, but I have lost many others that I wish I just had that one extra day with, to say those things and do those things I always wish I had. The whole novel tugged on my heartstrings. I really enjoyed this story and it made me think.
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
Another wonderful story by this author showing the importance of families, forgiveness and the eternal love of a mother. A touching read. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
If you could have one more day with someone you loved would you take it? What would that day look like? For "Chick" Benetto that wish has been granted with one more day with his mother. The story tells us about how his life went from one of promised grandeur to one of desperation at the end of a neck of a bottle.

Albom creates a story filled with hope even in the darkest of times and how we as humans can return from that darkness to live fulfilled lives. He is one of the masters of this type of uplifting story, another master is Coelho for another example of this particular type of story. Albom creates realistic and believable characters here because he roots them some firmly in reality, while allowing for the mystical elements to shine through as well. He lets the otherworldly elements not be so boldly shockable that they feel organic in the context of the story. He never makes a bigger deal of them than he should, which provides the right touch for such an enjoyable read.

If you have ever felt down and out in your life this is a book that you need to read. There are millions of people similar to "Chick" out there and to have someone tell such a story will help you connect with others that have shared similar experiences. For a brief moment it does help to recognize that we are not the only ones that go through struggles in this life. People can become overwhelmed by their own individual struggles that they feel they are alone, but we are not. There are those of us out there that have struggled and Albom taps into that. So if you are struggling read this and recognize you are not alone, but afterwards take the first steps like "Chick" does to recuperate that lost life you want back. It just takes one single step forward because unlike "Chick" most of us will never get "One More Day" to make the things right, so do what you can today. It is a powerful book with a strong message that will engage a reader that understands it. Share that message with the world. ( )
  SoulFlower1981 | Jan 20, 2016 |
This book is dedicated, with love, to Rhoda Albom, the mommy of the mummy.
This is a story about a family and, as there is a ghost involved, you might call it a ghost story.

“Every family is a ghost story . . .”

Mitch Albom mesmerized readers around the world with his number one New York Times bestsellers, The Five People You Meet in Heaven and Tuesdays with Morrie. Now he returns with a beautiful, haunting novel about the family we love and the chances we miss.

For One More Day is the story of a mother and a son, and a relationship that covers a lifetime and beyond. It explores the question: What would you do if you could spend one more day with a lost loved one?

As a child, Charley “Chick” Benetto was told by his father, “You can be a mama’s boy or a daddy’s boy, but you can’t be both.” So he chooses his father, only to see the man disappear when Charley is on the verge of adolescence.

Decades later, Charley is a broken man. His life has been crumbled by alcohol and regret. He loses his job. He leaves his family. He hits bottom after discovering his only daughter has shut him out of her wedding. And he decides to take his own life.

He makes a midnight ride to his small hometown, with plans to do himself in. But upon failing even to do that, he staggers back to his old house, only to make an astonishing discovery. His mother -- who died eight years earlier -- is still living there, and welcomes him home as if nothing ever happened.

Albom has said his relationship with his own mother was largely behind the story of the book, and that several incidents in “For One More Day” are actual events from his childhood.

In an inspirational debut novel by the author of Tuesdays with Morrie, Charles "Chick" Benetto, grieving over the death of his mother, uses alcohol as a crutch to deal with his loneliness, isolation, and depression and the disintegration of his life, until an encounter with his mother's ghost brings him new awareness and leads him to attempt to put his life back together.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,217,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible