The Page of the Duke of Savoy by Alexandre…

The Page of the Duke of Savoy (1855)

by Alexandre Dumas

Most people never read much Dumas beyond The Three Musketeers and possibly its sequels or The Count of Monte Cristo. There is a reason for this: some Dumas is really badly written.

Actually, the book has a lot of good elements. But I can’t see anyone getting away with the structure these days.

The book opens with a large group of adventurers. We spend a few chapters finding out about them and trying to keep them straight. And then the book suddenly jumps to the character Emmanuel Philibert, and we don’t hear a thing about the adventurers for nearly half the book. As far as I can tell, they’re only there to give the viewpoint of the besiged in the Saint Quentin chapters; several of them disappear along the way, and several story threads are left hanging. Unlike Count of Monte Cristo, where the disparate characters and story lines finally link up in the end, Page never quite brings them together into a whole.

I like Emanuel Philibert, and some of the incidents are interesting; I also found the character of Queen Catherine interesting, having gotten a different view of her from Roessner's The Stars Dispose. But overall, the only reason I can see rereading this book is if I ever volunteered to scan it for Gutenberg or some such. ( )
  castiron | May 10, 2013 |
This is sometimes called a sequel to The Two Dianas, but really it is a retelling of some of the same events, with some of the details changed. It is a story of the Duke of Savoy, who fights against France at the battle of St Quentin, and the consequences of that. It is also the story of his page, Leone, and Leone's secrets.

It also contains the story of a band of adventurers led by Yvonnet. The adventurers' story takes place mainly during the siege of St Quentin. The adventurers consist of minor characters from both Ascanio and The Two Dianas.

Fun, and worth reading if you like Dumas. ( )
  sylviasotomayor | Jan 11, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,564,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible