Traumnovelle by Arthur Schnitzler

Traumnovelle (original 1926; edition 2006)

by Arthur Schnitzler, Arthur Schnitzler (Author), Michael Scheffel (Herausgeber)

Member:timoheuer
Title:Traumnovelle
Authors:Arthur Schnitzler
Other authors:Arthur Schnitzler (Author), Michael Scheffel (Herausgeber)
Info:Reclam, Ditzingen (2006), Broschiert, 125 Seiten
Tags:deutsche literatur, ehe, liebe, liebesbeziehung, beziehung, treue, fremd gehen, deutschsprachige literatur, novelle, österreich, wien

Dream Story by Arthur Schnitzler (Author) (1926)

On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan (haraldo)
    haraldo: Both stories are about sexuality and marriage.

English (18)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (24)
While reading St Theresa's Interior Castle, I needed a diversion to bring some interest back to my reading. A simple way to ensure I have a steady supply of novels to read is to buy all of the Penguin Classics series. This international series brings to the reader authors and stories that would otherwise be neglected by we Antipodean Anglophones of little news from the Otherphones. Unless the story was the plot of a movie. I knew nothing of Austrian author Arthur Schnitzler, nor of his novella Dream Story. As I read it, I couldn't help but think of Stanley Kubrick's final movie, Eyes Wide Shut. When I looked up Arthur Schnitzler just now, I discovered that the movie was indeed an adaptation of this very novella. Such discoveries are pleasing and bring an undeserved sense of achievement, much like becoming a grandfather. But I recall hating the movie when it first came out. Bearing in mind, of course, that at that time I thought Starship Troopers was the greatest movie ever made. But long since my late 20s, I have revisited many of Kubrick's movies (as I have done with Woody Allen), and there is certainly something of the genius there. (I still struggle with Clockwork Orange, but will read the book and see if that helps. After reading this novella, I intend to watch Eyes Wide Shut again and see if my opinion changes.) But as for this novella, I read the lofty dream-like scenes before sleeping rather late, and then awoke to finish off the last few pages where reality hits Fridolin, our protagonist. My state of being suited the plot rather well. One scene in the Kubrick movie had Tom and Nicole smoking a joint, and this must have been where Fridolin's wife, Albertine, tells him of her desire to have an affair with a young naval officer. I recall being annoyed by that scene - Kidman didn't have the innocence that Albertine portrays in the novella. The innocence brings out the stupidity of Fridolin's jealousy in sharp relief, whereas Kidman's character, I recall, was really trying to stir things up. This means some of the key themes of courage and class-based morality are lost in the movie. The movie, too, seems to direct the audience too much, whereas the novella doesn't answer all reader's questions; it is left to the imagination. A very quick read, and of course, the book is better than the movie. ( )
  madepercy | Dec 26, 2018 |
No esta mal, disfrute leyendolo. Es interesante sobre todo para entender el pensamiento de la epoca. Y relatado de forma que es facil imaginarse lo que ocurre y a la vez la accion ocurre bastante rapidamente.
Por otro lado no encuentro nada especialmente remarcable, no creo que lo recuerde especialemnte. ( )
  trusmis | Apr 30, 2016 |
Vienna, a long time ago. A respectable doctor has a series of talks with his wife about their dreams, past likes/loves and what ifs. This brings about disquiet and mistrust between them and the doctor then goes about sabotaging the relationship in retaliation. That he is tempted by the flesh is a side-issue for the good doctor. He still manages to in fact blame his wife and her wayward and callous dream for his actions. Interesting. I wonder what Freud would have to say about all this- he was friend to the author. Fortunately for me, while reading the book, I was able to see it in the context of its ancient and unenlightened times so could forgive the sexist attitudes and just go with the story. I read it as an interesting slice of time and place. ( )
1 vote | LovingLit | Mar 15, 2014 |
"Of course, one remembers some dreams, but there must be others one completely forgets, of which nothing remains but a mysterious mood, a curious numbness."Atmospheric and haunting! Schnitzler's novella is a perfect Dream (or dream-like) Story. He doesn't create the kind of dream world that is engineered by hanging two moons from the ceiling. His world only consists of realistic things and events and yet it is shadowed by something intangible and unsettling. He simply colors the world his characters inhabit with a hypnotic quality that seduces the reader into the dream-scape. And how subtly he does that! Little details - one elusive gesture, one innocent-looking piece of the setting, one fleeting thought - all come together beautifully to create the atmosphere.

The novella explores the intimate life of a married couple. Schnitzler digs into the psyche of his characters by gently leading them to a space where their hidden thoughts, desires and anxieties find the freedom to manifest themselves. He lets the characters assess what constitutes truth and reality for them. And once the spell breaks, they can go back to continue living the illusion of real life they create for themselves.
"I have gained the impression that you have learned through intuition — though actually as a result of sensitive introspection — everything that I have had to unearth by laborious work on other persons." - Freud in a letter to Schnitzler (Wikipedia).Whether the events in the novella happen for real or was Schnitzler only staging an illusion - I will leave that for you to decide through your own reading. Perhaps it won't even matter.
"Just as sure as I am that the reality of one night, let alone that of a whole lifetime, is not the whole truth."
"And no dream," he said with a slight sigh, "is entirely a dream." Best read in a sitting or two. ( )
1 vote HearTheWindSing | Mar 31, 2013 |
Freud meets Chekhov in decadent Vienna. Dreams, repression, love, lust, marriage, all that good stuff. Kubrick made a movie out of it. If this doesn't grab your attention, I'm not sure if I know you anymore. ( )
  HadriantheBlind | Mar 30, 2013 |

Schnitzler, ArthurAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Farese, GiuseppeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fürtges, ChristianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heilmann, AndreasCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hißmann, GundulaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schnnerer, OttoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Twenty-four brown slaves rowed the splendid galley that would bring Prince Amgiad to the Caliph's palace. But the Prince, wrapped in his purple cloak, lay alone on the deck beneath the deep blue, star-spangled night sky, and his gaze -'

This wonderful translation of "Dream Story" will allow a fresh generation of readers to enjoy this beautiful, heartless and baffling novella. "Dream Story" tells how through a simple sexual admission a husband and wife ware driven apart into rival worlds of erotic revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:25 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,171,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible