Traumnovelle (Suhrkamp BasisBibliothek) by…

Traumnovelle (Suhrkamp BasisBibliothek) (original 1926; edition 2010)

by Arthur Schnitzler, Andrea Neuhaus (Herausgeber), Andrea Neuhaus (Kommentator)

Member:Lillone
Title:Traumnovelle (Suhrkamp BasisBibliothek)
Authors:Arthur Schnitzler
Other authors:Andrea Neuhaus (Herausgeber), Andrea Neuhaus (Kommentator)
Info:
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Literatur, Österreichische Literatur

Traumnovelle by Arthur Schnitzler (1926)

On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan (haraldo)
    haraldo: Both stories are about sexuality and marriage.

English (16)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (18)
Vienna, a long time ago. A respectable doctor has a series of talks with his wife about their dreams, past likes/loves and what ifs. This brings about disquiet and mistrust between them and the doctor then goes about sabotaging the relationship in retaliation. That he is tempted by the flesh is a side-issue for the good doctor. He still manages to in fact blame his wife and her wayward and callous dream for his actions. Interesting. I wonder what Freud would have to say about all this- he was friend to the author. Fortunately for me, while reading the book, I was able to see it in the context of its ancient and unenlightened times so could forgive the sexist attitudes and just go with the story. I read it as an interesting slice of time and place. ( )
  Ireadthereforeiam | Mar 15, 2014 |
"Of course, one remembers some dreams, but there must be others one completely forgets, of which nothing remains but a mysterious mood, a curious numbness."Atmospheric and haunting! Schnitzler's novella is a perfect Dream (or dream-like) Story. He doesn't create the kind of dream world that is engineered by hanging two moons from the ceiling. His world only consists of realistic things and events and yet it is shadowed by something intangible and unsettling. He simply colors the world his characters inhabit with a hypnotic quality that seduces the reader into the dream-scape. And how subtly he does that! Little details - one elusive gesture, one innocent-looking piece of the setting, one fleeting thought - all come together beautifully to create the atmosphere.

The novella explores the intimate life of a married couple. Schnitzler digs into the psyche of his characters by gently leading them to a space where their hidden thoughts, desires and anxieties find the freedom to manifest themselves. He lets the characters assess what constitutes truth and reality for them. And once the spell breaks, they can go back to continue living the illusion of real life they create for themselves.
"I have gained the impression that you have learned through intuition — though actually as a result of sensitive introspection — everything that I have had to unearth by laborious work on other persons." - Freud in a letter to Schnitzler (Wikipedia).Whether the events in the novella happen for real or was Schnitzler only staging an illusion - I will leave that for you to decide through your own reading. Perhaps it won't even matter.
"Just as sure as I am that the reality of one night, let alone that of a whole lifetime, is not the whole truth."
"And no dream," he said with a slight sigh, "is entirely a dream." Best read in a sitting or two. ( )
  HearTheWindSing | Mar 31, 2013 |
Freud meets Chekhov in decadent Vienna. Dreams, repression, love, lust, marriage, all that good stuff. Kubrick made a movie out of it. If this doesn't grab your attention, I'm not sure if I know you anymore. ( )
  HadriantheBlind | Mar 30, 2013 |
Um relato confessional e onírico.
O Zweig dizia que quando se lembrava de um livro de Schnitzler não lembrava de cenas, personagens, diálogos, mas da atmosfera. Isso porque a vida interior de seus personagens nos impressiona mais do que suas ações. Suas emoções ficam melhor gravadas em nossa mente do que os acontecimentos que as determinam. Tudo porque Schinitzler, em sua maturidade cética, recusava-se a considerar a verdade como sendo inteiramente verdadeira, pois sentia, através de tudo, potências insondáveis e misteriosas.
Schnitzler me atraiu, a princípio, pela quantidade de livros seus que tinham capas ilustradas com pinturas de Klimt. Agora o reeditaram com uma pintura de Schiele na capa, o que é interessante. Não querem colocar Freud na capa (só na orelha) então colocam sua cidade e época.
Interessante também para quem não gosta de Freud. ( )
  JuliaBoechat | Mar 30, 2013 |
Dream Story. It's the first time I read something by Schnitzler since high school. Kubrick's "Eyes Wide Shut" is based loosely on this story.
A couple spends a night on a ball in Vienna. Both are tempted by people in disguise but both resist the temptation. The evening's thrill brings them closer together than in a long time. In this moment of intimacy they confess earlier moments of temptation to each other. Instead of bringing them even closer together this leads to jealousy between the couple.
When the respected doctor gets called to a sick patient he lets himself get drawn into a dangerous game which could costs his reputation, career, marriage, maybe even his life...

I think it's a great story, very well observed interpersonal relations. Since I'm not exactly a fan of Tom Cruise I wasn't pleased with Stanley Kubrick's adaption of the story. Thankfully I didn't have his image in mind when I read about Fridolin walking the streets of Vienna.
1 vote verenka | Jun 25, 2010 |

Arthur Schnitzlerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Farese, GiuseppeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fürtges, ChristianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heilmann, AndreasCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hißmann, GundulaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Twenty-four brown slaves rowed the splendid galley that would bring Prince Amgiad to the Caliph's palace. But the Prince, wrapped in his purple cloak, lay alone on the deck beneath the deep blue, star-spangled night sky, and his gaze -'

This wonderful translation of "Dream Story" will allow a fresh generation of readers to enjoy this beautiful, heartless and baffling novella. "Dream Story" tells how through a simple sexual admission a husband and wife ware driven apart into rival worlds of erotic revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:48 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,388,851 books! | Top bar: Always visible