Do You Want to Start a Scandal (Spindle…

Do You Want to Start a Scandal (Spindle Cove, #5) (edition 2016)

by Tessa Dare

Member:Roseintatters
Title:Do You Want to Start a Scandal (Spindle Cove, #5)
Authors:Tessa Dare
Info:Avon, Kindle Edition, 384 pages
Collections:read, Your library
Tags:historical-romance, spinsters, ebook-kindle, steamy

Do You Want to Start a Scandal by Tessa Dare

Once again, Dare sucks me in with her unconventional characters and romances. By chapter 3, I was completely hooked and did not want to put the book down. You feel the immediate chemistry of the characters, the way they acknowledge that much but refuse to consider anything further. The circumstances of their entanglement border on farce, which the heroine acknowledges. The mysteries are interesting and rewarding in the end. And the blossom into love is worth the wait. Very well played. I hope we see another book in this series for the best friend. ( )
  ladypembroke | May 17, 2019 |
The youngest girl in the family is caught alone in the study with a wealthy marquess much to the happiness of her mother who is husband hunting for her at a country estate during a ball. Charlotte wants romance and love and Piers has a secret that must be kept hidden, he’s a government spy for the crown. Afraid of being exposed, he offers marriage and she’s determined to find out what makes him cold and aloof and he’s determined not to let her get into his heart. ( )
  Kathy89 | May 5, 2019 |
Charlotte Highwood is the youngest and the last to get married of her sisters and her mother will do absolutely anything to ensure Charlotte marries well. Including take advantage of Charlotte being found alone with a Marquess in the library during a ball at the Parkhurst estate. But Charlotte is determined to marry for love, not to protect her honour and she's pretty sure Piers Brandon is completely incapable of the emotion.

A solidly entertaining historical romance from Tessa Dare filled with her trademark humour. I particularly enjoyed a subtle Hamilton reference as well as one of the funnier "birds and the bees" talks I've seen in a while. If you're a Tessa Dare fan, this one will likely tickle your fancy. ( )
  MickyFine | Mar 12, 2019 |
4.3 stars

What are you doing to me? He'd whispered.
Charlotte had no idea. But whatever it was, he was doing it back.

Spoiler Alert: I like wallflowers and broody dudes. :) So, of course I liked this one. The way our hero was bamboozled by the heroine gets me every time. I would have liked to feel a bit closer to Piers, for some reason his background felt a bit underdeveloped, rushed or not delved into enough.
Charlotte was so open, honest, and willing to get her man; I quite delighted in her. I would have liked her relationship with Delia to be focused, shown more to further develop her character.

"What if I told you I know the risks, and I'm willing to take my chances?"
"It wouldn't change a thing. Those walls, as you call them…They're part of me now, and they are iron strong." He lifted a hand to her face, skimming his thumb over her lower lip. "Even if I wished to, I wouldn't know how to dismantle them."
"I know," she said quietly. "I know." She wreathed her arms around his neck. "That's why you need me. I'm going to burn them to the ground."

These two were spine tingling at times and plain fun to read about. The setting stayed stagnant as they were at a house party which kind of made their developing relationship feel less rounded out but their chemistry helped patch over some of the overall missing elements of the story.

This was fun, romantic, and heavier fluff at times, a Regency to delightfully pass the time.
romance ( )
  WhiskeyintheJar | Feb 14, 2019 |
A book about how falling in love, and being loved in return, can teach you important things about yourself. That you are enough. That it's okay to see in yourself what your lover sees in you. But also a book about a country house party that goes quickly, terrifically, and farcically off the rails. A delight and a pleasure. ( )
  epaulettes | Jan 3, 2019 |

From Amazon.com:

On the night of the Parkhurst ball, someone had a scandalous tryst in the library. Was it Lord Canby, with the maid, on the divan? Or Miss Fairchild, with a rake, against the wall? Perhaps the butler did it.

All Charlotte Highwood knows is this: it wasn’t her. But rumors to the contrary are buzzing. Unless she can discover the lovers’ true identity, she’ll be forced to marry Piers Brandon, Lord Granville—the coldest, most arrogantly handsome gentleman she’s ever had the misfortune to embrace. When it comes to emotion, the man hasn’t got a clue.

But as they set about finding the mystery lovers, Piers reveals a few secrets of his own. The oh-so-proper marquess can pick locks, land punches, tease with sly wit . . . and melt a woman’s knees with a single kiss. The only thing he guards more fiercely than Charlotte’s safety is the truth about his dark past.

Their passion is intense. The danger is real. Soon Charlotte’s feeling torn. Will she risk all to prove her innocence? Or surrender it to a man who’s sworn to never love?

"On the night of the Parkhurst ball, someone had a scandalous tryst in the library ... All Charlotte Highwood knows is this-- it wasn't her. But rumors to the contrary are buzzing. Unless she can discover the lovers' true identity, she'll be forced to marry Piers Brandon, Lord Grandville-- the coldest, most arrogantly handsome gentleman she's ever had the misfortune to embrace ... But as they set about finding the mystery lovers, Piers reveals a few secrets of his own ... Their passion is intense. The danger is real. Soon Charlotte's feeling torn. Will she risk all to prove her innocence? Or surrender it to a man who's sorn to never love?"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,882,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible