Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and…

Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die (2007)

by Chip Heath, Dan Heath (Author)

English (56)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (58)
A great way to get your ideas to mean something. Definately see the usefullness of their SUCCESS formula and why it would help.

My only problem with the book is the point and methods are illustrated pretty quickly but it ends up being a bit long winded and you want to skim to the next section once the point is grasped. I still enjoyed it though. ( )
  capiam1234 | May 17, 2014 |
Everyone should read this book. This isn't psychology or marketing. Even if you think you don't need it, you do. At the very least it will make you laugh out loud at stupid work memos, and how they use way to many words to say absolutely nothing important. ( )
1 vote SagethePage | Nov 21, 2013 |
I generally don't like business books, and I like business principles applied to teaching even less. But this is a great book for getting teachers at any level to think about conveying abstract material in a concrete manner, and focus on the big picture - identifying the core things you want your students to learn, without getting sidetracked by a million tiny details. ( )
  lucy3107 | Sep 23, 2013 |
Required reading for one of my jobs. An excellent study of why some ideas stick and some ideas die. ( )
  stacy_chambers | Aug 22, 2013 |
An easy to read and palatable example of its genre (it thinks it's social psychology, but it seems more pitched to management than anything else), Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die teaches a basic paradigm related to the "stickiness" of ideas, and how to make them stickier. The authors open with some urban legends, then analyze them to show why they stick--that is, why people remember them and find them highly salient. It goes on to situate itself in the context of Malcolm Gladwell's discussion of "The Stickiness Factor" in The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference.

The book is distinguished from many of its ilk in that it does not seem to exist for the purpose of helping the reader to deceive others (i.e., as do many texts on advertising techniques), it draws from a variety of credible empirical and theoretical sources, and it has benign applications outside the realm of economics. I can easily see ways to incorporate their basic ideas into lesson plans, especially lessons that would help my students design promotional materials, report findings, or direct clientele to the agencies at which they train. While my copy is as full of marginal notes as any non-fiction I read, more of my comments reflect my engagement with the material rather than any substantive dispute with it.

I was pleased to see references to Lakoff and Johnson's Metaphors we Live By, not because I agree with all of their contentions, but because it evokes my pleasant college experiences of ferociously discussing this then-new book with Jonathan and Frederic, now both gone (Frederic from AIDS, Jonathan in the World Trade Center). ( )
  OshoOsho | Mar 30, 2013 |
I especially like that this book follows its own rules for stickiness.
added by Katya0133 | editJournal for Quality & Participation, Rick Maurer (Sep 1, 2007)

The book is a rare combination of being both "an easy read" as well as providing thoughtful information that can be readily applied.
added by Katya0133 | editLeadership, George Manthey (Sep 1, 2007)

"Made to Stick" might have followed its own advice a bit more. The analytical point of all those sticky ideas almost gets lost in the welter of anecdotes.
added by Katya0133 | editThe Wall Street Journal, Joanna L. Ossinger (Jun 1, 2007)

The big sellers in this field of finding common ingredients in success/failure stories are rarely as thorough as "Stick," but they're usually easier to incorporate into your daily process.
added by Katya0133 | editAdvertising Age, Matt Kinsey (May 14, 2007)

Much of the content of the book, however, has been said before, in other contexts, and often to a more satisfying end.
added by Katya0133 | editCommunication World, Bill Combs (May 1, 2007)

Chip Heathprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heath, DanAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Dad, for driving an old tan Chevette while putting us through college.

To Mom, for making us breakfast every day for eighteen years. Each.
A friend of a friend of ours is a frequent business traveler.

Urban legends, conspiracy theories, and bogus public-health scares circulate effortlessly. Meanwhile, people with important ideas--business people, teachers, politicians, journalists, and others--struggle to make their ideas "stick." Why do some ideas thrive while others die? And how do we improve the chances of worthy ideas? Educators and idea collectors Chip and Dan Heath reveal the anatomy of ideas that stick and explain ways to make ideas stickier, such as applying the "human scale principle," using the "Velcro Theory of Memory," and creating "curiosity gaps." In this fast-paced tour of success stories (and failures), we discover that sticky messages of all kinds--from the infamous "kidney theft ring" hoax to a coach's lessons on sportsmanship to a vision for a new product at Sony--draw their power from the same six traits. This book that will transform the way you communicate ideas.--From publisher description.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,626,836 books! | Top bar: Always visible