Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and…

Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Chip Heath, Dan Heath, Charles Kahlenberg (Reader)

Member:johnclaydon
Title:Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die
Authors:Chip Heath
Other authors:Dan Heath, Charles Kahlenberg (Reader)
Info:Random House Audio (2007), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:**
Tags:social psychology, advertising, cog sci

Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die by Chip Heath (2007)

English (63)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  German (1)  All (67)
The book walks the reader through the six key steps of making an idea stick. The authors took their own advice when writing the book as they incorporate these sticky steps in their writing. The book is rich with examples and stories used to help the reader remember critical points. The authors also included “clinic” sessions as a way for the reader to implement and practice the steps to stickiness. What a beautifully written book. It is so chockfull of gems of wisdom.
  lovestobegreen | Feb 24, 2017 |
Excellent narrator, really good book! I gather that the book was a textbook because it's written to students, even has study questions at the end of each chapter. Since I'm not a marketing student, perhaps this is an unfair criticism, but I found that some concepts were taken for granted as "known" and I was screaming (internally) at the book "explain that first!" a couple times. Not much, however, and overall the book was totally understandable by a lay reader. It also got a little to repetitive for me (lay reader) and, again, that's not really a fair criticism for a book written for a different audience, but I'll just throw that out there so you can gauge interest given that info.

Some concepts are probably known to everyone but there were some new concepts, and the book essentially formalized marketing techniques that most of us either know or can guess or at least can say "that makes sense" after hearing. ( )
  marshapetry | Nov 24, 2016 |
We all want our views to be heard, understood and remembered: even better, if we can convince another person of our veracity. For those of us involved, at any level, of politics, this is crucial but, it is apparent that, more often than not, people throw their ideas to the wolves.

This book is filled with lots of common sense and a few ground breaking ideas. This is not to decry it in the least. It is always useful to have the obvious concepts gathered together and, this book has so much more. I believe that a book is worth reading, if it gives the reader one new point to ponder. I have many from this tome that will need to be chewed over and with which, I will need to experiment to get the best use.

Trying to summarise a book in a few short paragraphs is rather demeaning to the author because, if it is possible so to do, why has he/she taken nearly three hundred pages? The answer to that, is that Chip and Dan Heath make a much better job than I am about to do: however, below, you will find what I hope to be a brief flavour.

The book gives examples of memorable stories and examines why they stick in our mind. It also includes examples in which a standard reportage could have been used and the version that was actually released. These make it glaringly obvious that presentation is vital. In their original formats, the stories drift from the memory as fast as one reads them; in their amended form - which, it is important to stress, differ only in the presentation, and not by exaggeration or lying about events - many of them are stuck in my mind, even after finishing the book.

I would rate this as a must read for anyone wishing their words to be memorable. ( )
  the.ken.petersen | Oct 26, 2016 |
Quite an interesting book. Teaches you effective communication, how a mundane idea can be turned into a really compelling story by the way it is presented.

This book gives hope for those folks who always envy that guy with those killer presentations, always wows the audience and has them in rapt attention. Don't despair, these skills can be learnt and acquired, reading this book will set you off to a very good start.
  danoomistmatiste | Jan 24, 2016 |

kkhambadkone | Jan 17, 2016 |
The book is a rare combination of being both "an easy read" as well as providing thoughtful information that can be readily applied.
added by Katya0133 | editLeadership, George Manthey (Sep 1, 2007)

I especially like that this book follows its own rules for stickiness.
added by Katya0133 | editJournal for Quality & Participation, Rick Maurer (Sep 1, 2007)

"Made to Stick" might have followed its own advice a bit more. The analytical point of all those sticky ideas almost gets lost in the welter of anecdotes.
added by Katya0133 | editThe Wall Street Journal, Joanna L. Ossinger (Jun 1, 2007)

The big sellers in this field of finding common ingredients in success/failure stories are rarely as thorough as "Stick," but they're usually easier to incorporate into your daily process.
added by Katya0133 | editAdvertising Age, Matt Kinsey (May 14, 2007)

Much of the content of the book, however, has been said before, in other contexts, and often to a more satisfying end.
added by Katya0133 | editCommunication World, Bill Combs (May 1, 2007)

Chip Heathprimary authorall editionscalculated
Heath, Danmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Dad, for driving an old tan Chevette while putting us through college.

To Mom, for making us breakfast every day for eighteen years. Each.
A friend of a friend of ours is a frequent business traveler.

Urban legends, conspiracy theories, and bogus public-health scares circulate effortlessly. Meanwhile, people with important ideas--business people, teachers, politicians, journalists, and others--struggle to make their ideas "stick." Why do some ideas thrive while others die? And how do we improve the chances of worthy ideas? Educators and idea collectors Chip and Dan Heath reveal the anatomy of ideas that stick and explain ways to make ideas stickier, such as applying the "human scale principle," using the "Velcro Theory of Memory," and creating "curiosity gaps." In this fast-paced tour of success stories (and failures), we discover that sticky messages of all kinds--from the infamous "kidney theft ring" hoax to a coach's lessons on sportsmanship to a vision for a new product at Sony--draw their power from the same six traits. This book that will transform the way you communicate ideas.--From publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,655,502 books! | Top bar: Always visible