No Night is Too Long by Barbara Vine

No Night is Too Long (1994)

by Barbara Vine

This book ate my mind for a week as I read it. I thought about it when I was lying in bed at night, trying to fall asleep. I grabbed it to continue reading as soon as I could in the morning. The characters were so real, complex and engagingly drawn. The story twisted my guts and squeezed my heart. There were times it was so painful to read that I wondered why I was doing it to myself, but I'm very glad that I persevered because the ending was perfect and wonderful.

I feel in love with all the characters -- Tim, Ivo and Isabel. They were each unique and fleshed out with personality flaws, weakness, and strengths. I could see the wheels in their minds turning, although they didn't always turn easily or functionally.

And the story gripped me from the beginning. I love how she scattered hints of what was to come through the early parts of the book. The twist was shocking, but made so much sense.

I'd never read a Ruth Rendell/Barbara Vine book before, but now I'm off to raid her entire collection. ( )
1 vote Emily_Inglevine | Jan 23, 2011 |
This was incredibly slow to start. I just didn't care about any of the characters or the direction of the storyline. All that N- and P- business....just bizarre.

Then we arrived on the boat, and more characters arrived that I didn't care much about. I found it difficult to differentiate between them, and started counting how many pages to go until the end.

Then what you might call the central event. It seemed a bit tame, somehow.

The book picked up for me when it came to the knock at the door. Proper chilling, that was!!! The explanation for the castaway letters was excellent, too. Never has a book left it so late to redeem itself. Three stars. ( )
  jayne_charles | Sep 3, 2010 |
I bought this book from a second-hand bookshop one Sunday afternoon when I happened to pass the shop while on a stroll. I read Barbara Vine's The Chimney-Sweeper's Boy a couple of years ago and liked it but didn't actively seek out her other books.

For the first part of No Night Is Too Long, we follow Tim trying to write a story of his crime. Once he seems finished, we shift to Isabel Tim had a brief relationship with and with whom Tim fell in love. It turns out she has a more central place in the whole story than it seemed from Tim's story. Finally, the story is summed up someone who briefly appeared in Tim's narrative. This is a fascinating story, not an easy book to put down. ( )
  mari_reads | Aug 28, 2006 |
To Phyllis Grosskurth
Outside a high wind is blowing and making the sea rough.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451406346, Mass Market Paperback)

Months after killing his lover off the rugged Alaskan coast, Tim Cornish believes he has gotten away with the crime, until a series of ominous letters informs him that someone knows what he has done. Reprint.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:04 -0400)

When a homosexual announces he is leaving his partner for a woman, the other threatens to reveal the man's homosexuality. They fight and the one who made the threat is left for dead on a remote island. But he is not dead and he plots revenge. By the author of Anna's Book.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,468,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible