100 Words To Make You Sound Smart by…

100 Words To Make You Sound Smart

by American Heritage

Series: 100 Words

One of the quirky little books my husband owns, lol. Overall, a good reference. I would have replaced more mainstream words like "angst" and "deja vu" with something more rare. I feel like a lot of middle schoolers would probably be able to define those words. And I'm guessing this is more aimed at high schoolers and college students. But, regardless, an interesting little read. ( )
  vonze | Feb 6, 2014 |
Another in the series (as I purchase six of the eight with my Amazon birthday money, so there'll be a few more I'm going to pop up). Not as many new ones to learn in this one, but definitely a good book for people looking to expand their vocabulary. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Jul 24, 2013 |
I’m not sure this even qualifies as a book. It’s more like a word list. A word list that brings to mind 11th grade vocabulary tests. They say these words will make you sound smart and not pretentious. I don’t think so. There were some words which I have a special fondness for (byzantine, scintillating) yet others that would make most speakers sound like they’re trying too hard (spartan, sycophant, philistine, narcissist). And then there are the words which I hope some people never learn (boondoggle) because like schadenfreude and kerfuffle it could be thrown into public overuse and misuse. My advice: use this for SAT prep, not for everyday conversation.
  syaffolee | May 12, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 061871488X, Paperback)

The newest title in the popular 100 Words series is an informative and entertaining resource that can help anyone be right on the money when looking for words that will make a point, seal the deal, or just keep folks listening. Chosen by the editors of the American Heritage Dictionaries, these words will appeal to anyone who wants to be a more compelling communicator—as a worker, consumer, advocate, friend, dinner companion, or even as a romantic prospect.

The book includes a colorful variety of words, including handy words of just one syllable (such as glib) and words derived from the names of famous people (such as Freudian slip and Machiavellian).
There are expressions from popular culture (Catch-22) and words that date back to classical civilization (spartan and stoic). Each word is clearly defined and shown in context with quotations from contemporary sources: magazines, newspapers, broadcast media, movies, and television. For many words, quotations from distinguished authors and speakers are also given and word histories are explained.

Like its predecessors in this successful series, 100 Words to Make You Sound Smart provides an affordable and enjoyable way to communicate more effectively. It offers the coveted gift of gab to anyone who needs to “say it right”—and to anyone who wants to sound more articulate.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:27 -0400)

Selects one hundred words for anyone who wishes to become a more compelling communicator, including a variety of words, phrases, and expressions, along with clear definitions, etymologies, quotations, and usage examples.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,341,036 books! | Top bar: Always visible