Poetry for Young People: Emily Dickinson by…

Poetry for Young People: Emily Dickinson

by Emily Dickinson, Francis Schoonmaker Bolin

I very much enjoy this series which features the poetry of well-known poetic writers. This book, in particular focuses on Emily Dickinson. By far my favorite poet, and therefore, I was drawn to this book when I found it on the shelf of the library.

The beginning of the book focuses on her life, her reclusiveness and her life-long calling to work with words.

Painfully shy, with a vivid imagination, she wrote of emotions which many wonder how such a shy, inward-focused woman could write in such a knowledgeable manner.

As she grew older, Emily became more and more reclusive. Quite fond of her brother Austin, and his wife Susan, the path was worn from her parents house to theirs. Choosing to see only those she best loved, her circle was small.

Townspeople were very curious and would leave small gifts in the hope of seeing her. Fond of children, she dispensed ginger bread cookies and other treats via a basket tethered to a cord slowly brought down from the upper window. Children loved Emily and did not mind her guarded ways. In particular, she had a wonderful nephew whom she loved dearly. She also had a close relationship with her sister Lavinia, whom she called Vinnie.

Like many artists, she did not become well known for her work until after she died. During Emily's time, poems written by women were to be flowery. Increasingly, Emily wrote of heavy subjects, and with sparsity of words.

She carefully checked the dictionary to find one word that fit what she felt. Only six of her poems were published while she was alive. She died when she was fifty-four. Her sister Vinnie was quite astounded to find a box of little hand sewn books. in all, 879 precious poems.

The collection of poems featured in this book focus on those written of nature. Few in this collection are somber. Most have an airy feel of spring breezes. I did not know she wrote so many poems of nature, and it was refreshing to read the quick, witty, delightful passages such as this:

Bee, I'm expecting you!
Was saying yesterday
To somebody you know
That you were due.

The frogs got home last week,
Are settled and at work,
Birds mostly back,
The clover warm and thick.

You'll get my letter by
The seventeenth; reply,
Or better, be with me.

Yours,
Fly.
-----------------------------------------

Further in the book, there is one poem of Emily's thoughts of her death:

I have not told my garden yet,
Lest that should conquer me,
I have not quite the strength now
To break it to the bee.

I will not name it in the street
For shops would stare, that I,
So shy, so very ignorant
Should have the face to die.

The hillsides must not know it,
Where I have rambled so,
Nor tell the loving forests
The day that I shall go,

Nor lisp it at the table,
Nor heedless by the way
Hint that within the riddle
One will walk to day!

-------------------------------------------------​

Highly recommended 4.5 stars!
  Whisper1 | Feb 2, 2016 |
Organized in an easy to read way. Pictures are simplistic and poems are formatted nicely. Not a very 'kid friendly' appeal though. ( )
  kgilpin | Jan 9, 2016 |
A book of poetry for, well, young people. It's somewhat long, and the poems are more advanced than most I've seen for younger audiences, with some pretty large words and concepts. All in all though, it is a good book of poetry, just one I'd recommend to slightly older readers than what Shel Silverstein might require. ( )
  LisDavid15 | Jul 30, 2015 |
"An everywhere of silver, with ropes of sand, from keeping it from effacing, the track called land." This is just a snippet of a poem from this beautiful collaboration of poems from the late and great, Emily Dickinson. This is an amazing piece of poetry to have in the classroom, all focusing around the epic, haunting, and beautiful poetry from Emily Dickinson. With pictures and definitions at the bottom of the page for words that are not as common, this book brings poetry to children without taking away its immensity and beauty.
Genre: Poetry
  KaylaAnn715 | Apr 21, 2015 |
The genre of this book is poetry and is the work of the famous poet, Emily Dickinson. This book starts off with an introduction for the student’s of who Dickinson was during her life. From the way she lived her life and the fact that she wrote about the ordinary things in life and even death. It explains that she grew up very shy in an important family who was known by all in her town. Also, only six of her poems were published while she was living. The intro explains that she almost always wrote in rhyme or iambic meter. Another common trend is that most poems are in stanzas of four lines. This book contains 36 of Dickinson’s Poems that are illustrated with watercolor. Some of examples of the poems in this book are A word is dead, which is about looking at words as just the beginning. Also, In this short life, which is a question about the control we have in our life.
  kbuffum13 | Apr 11, 2015 |

Dickinson, Emilyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bolin, Francis Schoonmakermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Edited by Francis Schoonmaker Bolin. Do not combine with other collections containing different poems

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 043917872X, Paperback)

Journey into the world of Emily Dickinson where ordinary things and occurrences are filled with magical charm and graceful beauty.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:42 -0400)

This is a collection of poems by Emily Dickinson, who used words to paint vivid pictures.

Legacy Library: Emily Dickinson

Emily Dickinson has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Emily Dickinson's legacy profile.

See Emily Dickinson's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,113,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible