Poetry for Young People: Emily Dickinson by…

Poetry for Young People: Emily Dickinson

by Emily Dickinson, Francis Schoonmaker Bolin

Summary:
A collection of various poems by Emily Dickinson with lots of illustrations.

Personal Reflection:
I don't usually enjoy poetry, but I enjoyed reading through these poems.

Classroom Extensions:
Let students write their own poems and illustrate a picture to go along with them.
  robinkluth1980 | Apr 21, 2016 |
This book is filled with amazing poems for young children, that are short and sweet. Some are rather lengthy. It is filled with poems about nature and other sorts of things.
  Emily_Wilkinson | Apr 17, 2016 |
I would use this book for a 5th grade class during a poetry unit or study of famous poets. I would read 1-2 poems from the story aloud daily. Throughout the unit I would also have groups of students practice one poem and perform a readers theater at the end. This would help build fluency and comprehend the elements of poetry. By me first reading the poems, the students would understand how the words are supposed to flow, and how to pronounce some of the bigger words. I would use some poems from the story to help students recognize different rhyming schemes by reading them aloud, and having them formulate their own understanding of the rhyming scheme. Lastly, I would use this story to build vocabulary. Embedded in the poem are some difficult words, but at the bottom there are definitions provided. We would add these words to our word wall. ( )
  ewhite06 | Apr 14, 2016 |
This is a wonderful poetry book. It concentrates on lyrical poetry and some poetry with characters in it. I like this book because it has some simple poems that young children can understand if you talk to them about it. Painting media maybe
  rwild13 | Mar 3, 2016 |
I remember reading Emily Dickinson in high school, but never knew she wrote children's poetry as well. The illustrations in this book really help the reader understand what is happening. The great thing about this book is, even though some of the language is outdated, there are short definitions after each poem to help the reader understand. While some of these poems have more difficult concepts, Emily Dickinson’s style is fluid, making her poems easy to read. While I do believe that these poems would be better received by third to fifth graders, I think that Dickinson is a poet for people of all ages. ( )
  amberloposser | Feb 25, 2016 |

Dickinson, Emilyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bolin, Francis Schoonmakermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Edited by Francis Schoonmaker Bolin. Do not combine with other collections containing different poems

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 043917872X, Paperback)

Journey into the world of Emily Dickinson where ordinary things and occurrences are filled with magical charm and graceful beauty.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:42 -0400)

This is a collection of poems by Emily Dickinson, who used words to paint vivid pictures.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,913 books! | Top bar: Always visible