Breadfruit: A Novel by Celestine Vaite

Breadfruit: A Novel

by Celestine Vaite

Vaite writes as excellent a comedy of manners as any I've read. Think Austen: a precise and thorough look at the differences between man and woman, as well as the way they interact.

Highly recommended. ( )
  GraceZ | Sep 6, 2014 |
This was a gentle, delightfully real book of what life must be like in Tahiti. Materena lives with the father of her three children and one night when he comes home drunk (a common event) he makes a comment about getting married that she takes as what she can expect to receive from Kiko. She starts to make inquiries about the costs of the cake, the car driver, music, etc. expecting to get a more sober offer of marriage. After gathering her intel she realizes that he does not remember asking her. Oh, well. Life goes on.

We meet her family (huge, extended family) and they all have stories to tell. Life in these islands is as different from what most of us experience as can be. Slow, gentle, laid back. ( )
  mamzel | Jun 15, 2014 |
"the book is light hearted and warm, like a welcome breeze."
read more:http://likeiamfeasting.blogspot.gr/2013/10/the-marriage-proposal-celestine-hitiura.html ( )
  mongoosenamedt | Oct 18, 2013 |
After reading Vaite's first novel Frangipani, I had high hopes and expectations for her second in this group on novels. Where the first seemed to follow a linear storyline and mode of telling the story between mother and daughter, this felt more like a series of short stories. Each is leading to Materena's real desire for Pito to be serious in his proposal to her, not to mention her hope that this means that he really loves her in a truly romantic sense. This romantic hope threads through each story nicely and lends to the whimsical look at Matarena's Tahitian culture all the more.

The book is very light-hearted and warm, which makes it easy for readers to love Matarena and hope for her best. Having felt a connection with her first book because of the time I'd spent in Hawaii and how similar some of the cultural references and relationships seemed, I enjoyed watching each character develop. The story unfolded in these shorter chapters, but I'll admit that sometimes this lost my attention, as I wanted each story to tie directly to Matarena's desire for Pito to marry her. The stories didn't necessarily all have to do with the relationship, per se, but built around them to show us the community and family they lived among. Although it didn't grab me in the same way as the first book, I still really enjoyed the novel and feel that Vaite has an important voice in telling stories that show us Tahitians and their vibrant and amazing culture. ( )
  mjmbecky | Jul 4, 2011 |
Materena is an enchanting character. I look forward to read more of Materena's adventure. ( )
  jessybooks | Mar 1, 2011 |

When a drunken Pito proposes to Materena, she initially thinks it's just the booze talking. As she nevertheless starts planning, she juggles everyday life only to have Pito act as though he's forgotten his proposal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:29 -0400)

Materena Mahi is warm and generous, a natural problem solver, versed in the folk wisdom of her native island home. When a drunken Pito proposes to Materena, she initially thinks it's just the booze talking. But Materena can't help starting to plan for a fabulous wedding. She is bombarded with wedding planning advice from everyone. As Materena juggles everything, she forges on with everyday life--her relatives, her new baby boy, church on Sunday, cleaning her boss's house ... it never ends! Soon, though, Pito seems to have forgotten his proposal. Should Materena be fiu of this heartbreaker?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,009,071 books! | Top bar: Always visible