Let's Make Rabbits by Leo Lionni

Let's Make Rabbits

by Leo Lionni

I feel justified in including multiple Leo Lionni books in my picture book library because his illustration and design mediums are so diverse! In the case of Let’s Make Rabbits, Lionni uses two mediums simultaneously, drawing and patterned paper collage, to create two different rabbit characters.

The wonder of this book lies in that it deconstructs the creative process and shows how an illustrator’s process works. The opening shows the scraps of paper and scissors coming together to build a rabbit while the pencil goes to work creating a rabbit as well.

Lionni’s choice to make these materials animate gives a magical, anything is possible, quality to the creative process. I appreciate that this shows children the may create anything through art and all it takes is setting their mind to it. This is a fantastic book to teach an early childhood art lesson collage, multi media projects, or just to get a child inspired to create!
  noramcmillen | Apr 26, 2010 |
A cute board book for children. It can be used to help teach them about imagination. However, the cover gives some negative connotations. ( )
  06nwingert | Apr 2, 2009 |
Pencil and scissors decide to make rabbits, each in its own way. They then have to feed them (carrots, of course). When the rabbits find and eat a "real" carrot (they know it's real because of its shadow), they too become real (develop shadows). You are what you eat? This is certainly easier than what the Velveteen Rabbit had to go through. Same content as the original, non-board book. ( )
  raizel | Nov 24, 2008 |
This is an excellent and creative story -- it reminds me a little of "Harold and the Purple Crayon". It's good for stimulating the imagination. It got my daughter excited about finding her shadow. ( )
  mayalanda | Aug 10, 2008 |
I LOVE this book!! This has been one of my favorite kids books for as long as I can remember... Just the idea of a paper rabbit coming to life, the magic, the wonder, is so awesome! This is one of those books I just know I'll read to my future children. ( )
  Heather19 | Apr 16, 2008 |
"Good morning," said the scissors to the pencil.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375815643, Board book)

A pair of scissors and a pencil, each using its own special skills, decides to make rabbits one morning in Leo Lionni's classic 1982 fable, reprinted in this sturdy board book edition for the youngest reader. The pencil-drawn rabbit and scissor-crafted collage bunny promptly become fast friends. When they grow hungry, they turn to their creators for paper carrots, which they enjoy heartily... until they come upon a real carrot (they know it's real because it casts a shadow). What happens next will surely enchant readers of all ages.

The brilliant Lionni amuses himself--and his readers--with this playful send-up of the creative process. Each bunny is unique in its own right, skillfully and yet simply designed--the wonderful kind of images readers never forget. Four-time Caldecott Honor winner Lionni wrote more than 40 children's picture books in his lifetime, including well-loved classics Frederick and Swimmy. (Ages 1 to 4) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:34 -0400)

Two rabbits made with a pencil and scissors become real after eating a real carrot.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,636,771 books! | Top bar: Always visible