Beyond the Waves by Elizabeth Marek

Beyond the Waves

by Elizabeth Marek

Maybe good to recommend for insight into grief issues. ( )
  PleasantHome | Aug 29, 2013 |
Okay, I'm starting to get over my prejudice toward "women's fiction," which I'd always steered away from because I thought it was depressing. Books like Beyond the Waves are why. I'm still not to the point where I'll seek them out, but I am changing my attitude--it's not easy to teach this old dog new tricks, so this is a pretty good achievement.

Beyond the Waves is about Miranda, a mentally disturbed twelve-year-old, and her psychiatrist, Abby Cohen. Ms. Marek does a fabulous job of getting the reader into Miranda's head, and we see her isolation from everyone and everything but her overprotective father through her eyes. The story starts with one day when her father is later than he's ever been, so she leaves the house to find him--something she's never done--gets lost, and winds up in a mental hospital, where she meets Abby.

Abby is also isolated, emotionally, since her daughter's death two years ago. As she works to open up Miranda's psyche, she opens her own.

It's an emotionally real story, about grief and isolation, and reaching out to life. I'm glad I read it. ( )
  Darla | Mar 23, 2007 |

Psychologist Abby Cohen is still reeling from the loss of her beloved daughter when another young girl arrives in her life-twelve-year-old Miranda, who appears at Abby's hospital mute, terrified, and completely alone. In her struggle to connect with this deeply disturbed child and unravel the mystery of her past, Abby must grapple with her own frozen self.

Numbed by grief and on the verge of losing her relationship with both her husband and little boy, Abby finds herself tempted to leave behind what is left of the family she once cherished. But something about Miranda and the bond that has begun to form between them awakens Abby's capacity to feel, and reminds her of the power-and the limits-of love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:07 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,384,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible