Simisola by Ruth Rendell

Title:Simisola
Authors:Ruth Rendell
Info:Arrow (1995), Mass Market Paperback, 372 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Inspector Wexford, British mystery, stereo-types, political correctness, slavery

Simisola by Ruth Rendell

Another terrific thriller from Ruth Rendells, whose books for me have become as much examinations of current society as mystery stories. That's not to downplay the mystery; as usual, I was drawn on through the book by the story and the question, not just "who done it?" but "who did they do it to?". This time, Ms. Rendell focuses on the question of immigrants into Britain, black immigrants in particular. Chief Inspector Wexford's questioning of his own attitudes let me to consider my own; there may be non-racist people in the UK and the US born before 1975, but I don't think there are many. ( )
  annbury | Mar 26, 2012 |
This book was intended for my Mystery Fiction class, but the professor was unable to find an easy way to procure copies for us; most publishers did not have it in print at the time. Much later, I found a copy at a used-book sale, and so I bought it on the strength of our professor's recommendation.

Thinking back on the course, this book would have been a perfect fit, and its replacement, The Laughing Policeman, touches on similar themes. This book's main story arc is that of Melanie Akande, a young woman who is part of one of the few black families in Kingsmarkham. She disappears one day, but the search for her proves to be a difficult one. Chief Inspector Wexford is called in to solve the case, not only because it is on his turf but also because Melanie's father is his GP.

Over the course of the story, Rendell touches on themes of race and class. Wexford and others on the force deal with their own attitudes to race as they solve the case -- one twist in particular, which I shall not give away, really opens Wexford's eyes on that front. Class and employment are two other important threads to the story: Melanie is the daughter of upper-middle-class parents, but she has resorted to the Job Centre to find work in her chosen field of performing arts, which her parents feel is not good enough for her. All roads lead to the Job Centre, actually, so it plays a major part in the case. It ties to Wexford's personal life, too; his daughter and son-in-law are forced to go on the dole temporarily.

The book was well written, more reminiscent of A Judgement in Stone, which is the only other Rendell novel I've read. I did read one of her books that she wrote as Barbara Vine and found it difficult to get through (I left it unfinished)... fortunately, this book is not like that. It unfolds at a decent pace, and the solution is fair, and there are several twists that I did not see coming. Also, the explanation for the title, which comes right at the end of the book, is very bittersweet. But still, this isn't one of my favourites. Perhaps having it studied in Mystery Fiction would have made it more interesting. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Mar 19, 2011 |
My favourite of the Wexford novels. This begins with an amusingly recounted incident in the doctor's waiting room, and goes on to introduce (it seems) every inhabitant of the town where a young girl has disappeared. Certainly every member of the community with multicultural credentials is rooted out. Such a massive cast only makes the whodunnit side of things more intriguing and challenging, add to that a couple of red herrings and a blind alley or two, and you've got one heck of a good read. ( )
1 vote jayne_charles | Sep 3, 2010 |
Well worth reading especially for Rendell and Wexford fans. ( )
  charlie68 | Jun 8, 2009 |
One of her best, good story, characterisation and nice beginning of the humanisation of Wexford's less favoured daughter, Sylvia. Nice treatment of racism too. ( )
  Figgles | Oct 7, 2008 |

Ruth Rendellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Francavilla, A. M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Marie
There were four people beside himselfin the waiting room and none of them looked ill.

Only eighteen black people live in Kingsmarkham. One of them is Wexford's new Doctor, Raymond Akande. When the doctor's daughter, Melanie, goes missing, the Chief Inspector takes more than just a professional interest in the case. Melanie, just down from university but unable to find a job, disappeared somewhere between the Benefit Office and the bus stop. Or at least no one saw her get on the bus when it came. According to her parents, Melanie was happy at home. She had recently broken up with her boyfriend but, until now, there had been no cause to worry about her. And no one liked to voice the suspicion that something might have happened, that Melanie might be dead ...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:01 -0400)

In an English town, Inspector Wexford investigates attacks on black women which lead to murder. A study of the slave-like condition of foreign domestics in Britain, who are not given the status of immigrants so they can be deported if they agitate for more money.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,310,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible