Sleep, Pale Sister (P.S.) by Joanne Harris

Sleep, Pale Sister (P.S.) (original 1994; edition 2005)

by Joanne Harris

Member:exlibrislady
Title:Sleep, Pale Sister (P.S.)
Authors:Joanne Harris
Info:Harper Perennial (2005), Paperback, 416 pages

Sleep, Pale Sister by Joanne Harris (1994)

SLEEP, PALE SISTER

Author: Joanne Harris
Artist: David Gentry
ISBN: 978-1-848636-79-8
Status: Coming Soon!
  narbgr01 | Apr 23, 2014 |
One aspect of this book that I liked was the way [a:Joanne Harris|9432|Joanne Harris|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1251452384p2/9432.jpg] used tarot cards as section headings in her book. I was fortunate to read the bulk of this book on a plane where I wasn't constantly interrupted by life. It helped me to understand the story a bit better.

This is another one of [a:Joanne Harris|9432|Joanne Harris|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1251452384p2/9432.jpg]'s mystical or ethereal novels. It wasn't one of my favorites. I enjoyed [b:Blackberry Wine|15101|Blackberry Wine A Novel|Joanne Harris|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1166670084s/15101.jpg|876908] and [b:Chocolat better. I just didn't get the point of the story. It was a little too obscure for me especially at the end.

author:Joanne Harris]'s writing style is great. Her phraseology is great. I just wish I had a guide so I could understand the underlying notion of this book. ( )
  jlapac | Aug 14, 2013 |
Joanne Harris' second novel probably could have done with more editing before it was re-released, it's true. At first glance it's quite different to her other writing, but slowly you can see themes in it that come up over and over again in her writing. Slowly it becomes more and more creepy and mystical and strange, from something that was more like realism. Creepy both in the supernatural sense and in the creepy pervert sense, really.

The writing is pretty compelling, just like her other writing. There's something "more-ish" about it, I guess: it goes down easy. I've found that with all of her work and this one's no exception.

The closest similarity is with The Evil Seed, and I think that's the gothic element and also one of the key characters. Marta haunts the other characters in the same way that Rosemary does in The Evil Seed. I don't find the evil-woman-who-has-men-dancing-to-her-tune archetype all that much, so I hope it doesn't show up again through all the rest of Joanne Harris' writing that I haven't read yet... ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
Very dark, very Gothic and a good read. Harris has created a dream-like, murky story, narrated by four different characters. It's a psychological drama, a ghost story, a murder story, a novel about artists and models and sexual obsessions, all wrapped in one. Is it perfect? Not quite. The voices sound a little too similar to one another for that. But never mind, it's a great read for a rainy night by the fire. Enjoy. ( )
  Laurenbdavis | May 17, 2012 |
I found this uncomfortably weird. It is a easy read in that it was compelling, but I found I was drawn onto read further in a distasteful way. ( )
  booktwitcher | Aug 22, 2011 |
To Kevin, again.
As I look at my name and the letters which follow it I am filled with a vast blankness.

Before the sweet delight of Chocolat, before the heady concoction that is Blackberry Wine, and before the tart pleasures of Five Quarters of the Orange, bestselling author Joanne Harris wrote Sleep, Pale Sister -- a gothic tourde-force that recalls the powerfully dark sensibility of her novel Holy Fools.

Originally published in 1994 -- and never before available in the United States -- Sleep, Pale Sister is a hypnotically atmospheric story set in nineteenth century London. When puritanical artist Henry Chester sees delicate child beauty Effie, he makes her his favorite model and, before long, his bride. But Henry, volatile and repressed, is in love with an ideal. Passive, docile, and asexual, the woman he projects onto Effie is far from the woman she really is. And when Effie begins to discover the murderous depths of Henry's hypocrisy, her latent passion will rise to the surface.

Sleep, Pale Sister combines the ethereal beauty of a Pre-Raphaelite painting with a chilling high gothic tale and is a testament to Harris's brimming cornucopia of talents.

This P.S. edition features an extra 16 pages of insights into the book, including author interviews, recommended reading, and more.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:21 -0400)

Gothic tale set in London, 19th century.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,609,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible