Jesus and the Victory of God (Christian…

Jesus and the Victory of God (Christian Origins and the Question of God,… (original 1993; edition 1997)

by N. T. Wright

1,18076,821 (4.6)1 / 23
Member:stevewedge
Title:Jesus and the Victory of God (Christian Origins and the Question of God, Volume 2)
Authors:N. T. Wright
Info:Augsburg Fortress Publishers (1997), Paperback, 741 pages

Jesus and the Victory of God by N. T. Wright (1993)

Excellent book, although as may be expected from N.T. Wright this is not a book for the faint of heart. It is well worth the effort though. Wright deals with difficult questions and gives answers using a consistent and I believe sound methodology. Overall, I think this book is well worth reading and is a valuable resource for understanding more about Jesus' mission here on Earth. ( )
  aevaughn | Jul 20, 2010 |
I should say this up front: the idea that I’m going to be able to intelligently “review” Wright’s massive Jesus and the Victory of God in a 250-word blog post is ridiculous at best, and insane at worst. But I’m posting individual reviews for each book I finish this year, so here goes.

I first became familiar with N. T. Wright through some of his shorter books: What Saint Paul Really Said, Simply Christian, and, of course, Surprised by Hope. Somewhere along the way I found out that he has written a three-volume set specifically about Jesus, and so I requested one of the volumes for Christmas back a year ago. (Why I requested Volume Two of a three volume set is beyond me… but I did.)

Sure, there have been a million books written about Jesus. So why does Wright’s stand out? Wright takes the angle of exploring what I’ll call the “historical” Jesus. What was Jesus, the man, thinking? What were his goals? How did the things he said fit into the theological and political scene of first-century Palestine? Wright answers these questions brilliantly, with clarity and insight.

As just a small example, Wright at one point asks this question: Did Jesus know that he was the Son of God? Certainly we affirm that Jesus was fully man and fully God, but how did Jesus the man know that he was God? Wright gives by way of answer this analogy: Jesus knew he was the Son of God in the same way a musician knows they are a musician. They have the skills and abilities of a musician, and something deep within them says ‘I simply must make this music’. As such, a person knows they are a musician. Similarly, Jesus knew he had the skills and abilities of the Messiah, and had the internal calling. It may not be a perfect analogy, but it certainly provides opportunity to stop and think.

Jesus and the Victory of God deals with Jesus’ life and teaching, leading right up to his death. Wright then devotes the entire third volume in his series to the Resurrection. (I got that book for Christmas this year.) Jesus and the Victory of God isn’t a simple read - it’s more like a college-level scholarly text. But if you’re willing to make the effort to dig through it, it will reward you with insight into the life and purposes of Jesus. ( )
  cjhubbs | Feb 3, 2009 |
Outstanding book - first he deals with the history of 'the quest for the historical Jesus' and then he examines the key texts in the NT as interpreted along the lines he proposes. Essentially, he follows along the lines of E P Sanders in putting the emphasis on the kingdom as a hope of a renewed Israel - realised eschatology but without the other-worldly emphasis of Sweitzer. He interprets some familiar texts as apocalyptic in style and suggests that the message was radical and subversive. Much food for thought here. ( )
  Phil76 | Mar 25, 2008 |
An excellent study of the historical Jesus. Wright argues, conclusively in my opinion, for the viability of the New Testament Jesus as a credible historical figure. A very readable, if extensively footnoted book. Wright's major thesis is that the Jesus of the NT and the Jesus of history are one and the same person, fully human, as a first centruy apocalyptic prophet, and Messiah, and fully God as the only one who can do and be for Israel what only Yahweh can do and be for Israel. Truly a great read! ( )
  bjmjhunter | Aug 16, 2007 |
Finally, I commend Wright for his attempt to provide an overarching, comprehensive interpretation of the life of Jesus. Such an undertaking inspires a kind of awe. Most scholars do not have sufficient mastery of the materials to attempt such an undertaking. Others do not have the skills to do so. Wright bravely, some would say "naively," attempts to do so. His attempt to fit all the Biblical and extra-Biblical material into his overarching scheme, however, raises questions at various points. To this I shall now turn.

for M.E.A.W.

N.T. Wright brilliantly surveys the field of Jesus scholarship in the twentieth-century, presenting Jesus firmly within the political and social setting of the first-century--as a Jewish apocalyptic prophet.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:46 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,107,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible