The Boy Who Followed Ripley by Patricia…

The Boy Who Followed Ripley (1980)

by Patricia Highsmith

Series: Tom Ripley (4)

English (11)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (14)
I enjoyed most of the Ripley novels (the first was by far the best), but this one, in which Ripley gets attached to a teen psychopath who secretly killed his father, was mostly boring. I skimmed the last third of it. ( )
  MsRoux | Aug 2, 2019 |
I found this one way too focused on domestic issues to be anything like taut. Gardening, sleeping and bathroom arrangements, ant problems, car repair, door keys - it was crazy. Also I think Lou Reed is almost the only 'rock and roll' she knew. Into this homeliness we have Tom fulfilling his fatherhood longings with the wayward Frank. While I didn't see quite what came at the end until it was inevitable, I thought it was fitting. Interesting how Highsmith kept Tom's reactions low and almost non-existent. For such a cold and amoral guy, with all he did for Frank I thought it might have been less restrained. ( )
1 vote Bookmarque | Feb 19, 2017 |
The Boy Who Followed Ripley, by Patricia Highsmith, is the fourth in her five-book series about Tom Ripley, the amoral psychopath who has so captured readers' (and viewers') hearts over the years. Here, Tom is living a quiet life in suburban France, with a wealthy yet accommodatingly incurious wife, when a young American boy comes into his life. "Billy," or "Frank" as he is more properly called, is the younger son of a very wealthy family, the father of which has recently died, apparently by his own hand after a decade in a wheelchair. Billy wants to stay out of sight, despite his high social profile, and Tom is happy to help him out. But Billy has a dark secret that may lead to more complications than Tom is prepared to handle.... I have not read the second and third books in this series, so I'm a bit in the dark as to how Tom comes to be living the life he is in this book; however, that didn't prevent me from enjoying this volume quite a lot. Although we spend a lot of the story inside Tom's head, his motivations remain as obscure as ever; as nearly as I can determine, he seems to do things simply because it occurs to him to do them, or because it might be amusing to see what happens next. A complicated character, indeed! Recommended. ( )
2 vote thefirstalicat | Dec 5, 2014 |
Of all the Ripley novels, this is the most unsuccessful and boring one. too much explanations of useless details. ( )
1 vote leforestiere | Jul 8, 2014 |
Our amoral friend Ripley, living with Heloise in France, is approached by a mysterious young man, who it is revealed, has killed his father and is seeking refuge in France, both from his family, who do not believe he is guilty, and from his conscience, which knows he is culpable. Ripley assumes the unusual role of "good guy" in this novel. After Frank, the young man, is kidnapped, Ripley goes to extreme lengths to successfully help his young friend. ( )
1 vote ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |

Patricia Highsmithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gudmundsen, Per KristianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067974567X, Paperback)

In this quietly terrifying exploration of trust and friendship, a troubled young runaway arrives in Villeperce. And when, on the boy's behalf, Tom Ripley is drawn from his lovely estate in the French countryside to Berlin's seamy underworld and into a kidnapping plot that requires the most bizarre methods--and sinister acumen--for intervention, the icily amoral Ripley is transformed into a generous and compassionate projector.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:18 -0400)

The amoral Tom Ripley returns in this tightly plotted exploration of trust and friendship.When a troubled young runaway arrives on Tom Ripley's French estate, he is drawn into a world he thought he'd left behind: the seedy underworld of Berlin, of kidnapping plots, lies and deception. Frank Pierson, son of a wealthy American family, has traced Tom Ripley to his home in France. Frank has committed a crime - a murder - and senses that Tom, not above the odd killing himself, is the best person to shelter him. Ripley becomes the boy's protector and a friendship develops between the young man with a guilty conscience and the older one with no conscience at all.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,402,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible