Letters From A Skeptic by Dr. Gregory A.…

Letters From A Skeptic (original 1994; edition 2004)

by Dr. Gregory A. Boyd

Member:tim.dieppe
Title:Letters From A Skeptic
Authors:Dr. Gregory A. Boyd
Info:Cook Communications Ministries (2004), Hardcover, 192 pages
Tags:Greg Boyd, Apologetics, Openness Theology, Theodicy, Foreknowledge, Free Will

Letters From a Skeptic: A Son Wrestles with His Father's Questions about Christianity by Gregory A. Boyd (1994)

I really liked this book. No, it doesn't go deep. No, it doesn't anser every question a non-believer might throw at you. However, what it does very well is display a non-confrontational approach to answering the questions of people who are interested in the bible and perhaps investigating their own faith. I see it as a great example of how dialogue can happen between Christians and their friends and family about their faith and why they choose to believe. It also does a very good job of explaining how to deal with those "unaswerable" questions, that often arise. ( )
  snotbottom | Sep 19, 2018 |
Greg's gentleness with his unbelieving father is an example to be followed. ( )
  jamesrrouse | Jun 3, 2017 |
A good book, illumined some points on Christianity that I had questioned. May not satisfy everyone, but it is compelling. ( )
  charlie68 | May 26, 2015 |
The following letters are part of an actual three-year correspondence between a college professor in Minnesota and his father, who retired to Florida after 35 years in sales management. Their honest dialogue unearths some vital questions and even more answers. A story of a ston who wrestles with his father's questions about Christianity.
  kijabi1 | Jan 6, 2012 |
This book answered a lot of questions that I had. Unfortunately, I gave it to my brother before I could finish it because he was around when I had it and I was afraid that I'd never be able to get it to him if I didn't do it then. I can only hope he finds it useful. ( )
  elektherelic | Jul 18, 2011 |

Gregory A. Boydprimary authorall editionscalculated
Boyd, Edward K.main authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0854768890, Paperback)

Edward Boyd's agnosticism rested "not ... too much on any positive position ... but rather on a host of negative ones" about Christianity. In an attempt to address these negative issues, his son Greg, a professor of theology, asked his father, a strong-willed, highly intelligent, and stubborn 70-year-old, to enter into a correspondence in which "all of their cards would be laid on the table." Greg would give his father the opportunity to raise all his objections to the veracity of Christianity, and Greg would "answer these objections as well as give positive grounds for holding to the Christian faith."

Three years and more than 30 letters later, Letters from a Skeptic was published and Edward Boyd came to accept Christ. During his journey, he and his son hash through such topics as why the world is so full of suffering; why an all-powerful God needs prayer; how you can believe in someone who rose from the dead; and how another man's death can pardon others. Despite their brutal honesty, both men exhibit respect and love toward one another as they address these volatile subjects. In Edward's second response to Greg, he boldly says, "Well, your distinction between the 'Christian Church' and 'Christians' is interesting and novel, but frankly, I don't buy it." Greg responds, saying, "I've got to admit that you are raising some extremely good points in your letters. You are raising the most difficult questions a theist can face." --Jill Heatherly

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:23 -0400)

Includes letters between a son and his father.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,671,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible