Letters From A Skeptic by Dr. Gregory A.…

Letters From A Skeptic (original 1994; edition 2004)

by Dr. Gregory A. Boyd

Member:tim.dieppe
Title:Letters From A Skeptic
Authors:Dr. Gregory A. Boyd
Info:Cook Communications Ministries (2004), Hardcover, 192 pages
Tags:Greg Boyd, Apologetics, Openness Theology, Theodicy, Foreknowledge, Free Will

Letters From a Skeptic: A Son Wrestles with His Father's Questions about Christianity by Gregory A. Boyd (1994)

Recently added byIndiancreek, tomeloph, LSmith862, Gimoll, LauraBethR, T.E.I., jonking, JMJR, private library, adevarul

Greg's gentleness with his unbelieving father is an example to be followed. ( )
  jamesrrouse | Jun 3, 2017 |
A good book, illumined some points on Christianity that I had questioned. May not satisfy everyone, but it is compelling. ( )
  charlie68 | May 26, 2015 |
The following letters are part of an actual three-year correspondence between a college professor in Minnesota and his father, who retired to Florida after 35 years in sales management. Their honest dialogue unearths some vital questions and even more answers. A story of a ston who wrestles with his father's questions about Christianity.
  kijabi1 | Jan 6, 2012 |
This book answered a lot of questions that I had. Unfortunately, I gave it to my brother before I could finish it because he was around when I had it and I was afraid that I'd never be able to get it to him if I didn't do it then. I can only hope he finds it useful. ( )
  elektherelic | Jul 18, 2011 |
This Skeptic Never had a Chance

Edward Boyd never had a chance.

As the skeptic in this duo, his conversion was never in doubt. The book details three years and more than 30 letters which resulted in Edward Boyd decision to accept Christ.

During his journey, he and his son hash through such topics as why the world is so full of suffering; why God needs prayer; how you can believe someone rose from the dead; and how another man's death pardons others.

Not that his son, Dr. Gregory Boyd, a professor of theology at Bethel College in St. Paul, MN, was all that convincing. Too often, the apologetics professor restructured or rephrased his father’s legitimate arguments and doubts to ones premised on the acceptance of the faith. This technique is far more effective with believers who have already made the leap of faith and are looking for a rational justification for their decision than a true skeptic.

Despite the letter’s brutal honesty, both men exhibit respect and love toward one another as they address these volatile subjects. There is never a doubt that the son is persistent and determined. During the three year long correspondence, Greg reveals he is training for a 100 kilometer running road race championship. In it, he finished as the seventh American and 23rd overall.

My only issue with the book lies in its effectiveness at persuading a skeptic without as dedicated a mentor as Greg to make the leap. For those who have already made it this book is a must read. ( )
1 vote PointedPundit | Mar 25, 2008 |

Gregory A. Boydprimary authorall editionscalculated
Boyd, Edward K.main authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0854768890, Paperback)

Edward Boyd's agnosticism rested "not ... too much on any positive position ... but rather on a host of negative ones" about Christianity. In an attempt to address these negative issues, his son Greg, a professor of theology, asked his father, a strong-willed, highly intelligent, and stubborn 70-year-old, to enter into a correspondence in which "all of their cards would be laid on the table." Greg would give his father the opportunity to raise all his objections to the veracity of Christianity, and Greg would "answer these objections as well as give positive grounds for holding to the Christian faith."

Three years and more than 30 letters later, Letters from a Skeptic was published and Edward Boyd came to accept Christ. During his journey, he and his son hash through such topics as why the world is so full of suffering; why an all-powerful God needs prayer; how you can believe in someone who rose from the dead; and how another man's death can pardon others. Despite their brutal honesty, both men exhibit respect and love toward one another as they address these volatile subjects. In Edward's second response to Greg, he boldly says, "Well, your distinction between the 'Christian Church' and 'Christians' is interesting and novel, but frankly, I don't buy it." Greg responds, saying, "I've got to admit that you are raising some extremely good points in your letters. You are raising the most difficult questions a theist can face." --Jill Heatherly

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:23 -0400)

Includes letters between a son and his father.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,917,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible