Life of The Beloved: Spiritual Living in a…

Life of The Beloved: Spiritual Living in a Secular World (original 1992; edition 1992)

by Henri J Nouwen

Member:332
Title:Life of The Beloved: Spiritual Living in a Secular World
Authors:Henri J Nouwen
Info:Crossroad Publishing Company (1992), Hardcover, 120 pages
Rating:***
Tags:religious studies, roman catholic, philadelphia, november 2012, book corner

Life of the Beloved: Spiritual Living in a Secular World by Henri J Nouwen (1992)

I picked this up at a book sale because it's written by Nouwen and he's an author I always grab if I can. I read it because it was chosen by The Facebook Method. I hated it. It's fluffy, saccharine and weak. I get that he is writing for secular Jews. I get that it's not for Christians. But seriously, it's so fru-fru. There is nothing about WHY we need Christ. I agree that it is nice to hear God loves us, and how much He loves us. But this sort of nonsense is what let's people think they can be Christian without facing sin and repentance. This isn't to say there weren't some good points and quotes. But not enough to redeem this work. I would not recommend this unless someone specifically told me this is what they struggled with. I'm sure there are people who would find this book to say just want they need to hear about God. But for me, I think there are better works out there. ( )
  empress8411 | Feb 28, 2014 |
We discuss this book every week in the Bible Study meeting.
  asambul | Feb 13, 2014 |
This is my second read of this book, which offers a healthy reminder to hold onto what is good. ( )
  jclyde | Feb 26, 2012 |
Attempting to offer a spirituality that would be accessible to his non-Christian friends, Nouwen pens this personal letter fleshing out the theme of being, becoming, and living as the “beloved” of God. Nouwen identifies four movements (following the movements of the Eucharist) toward becoming who we truly are, the Beloved of God: taken, blessed, broken, and given. Although I am usually edified by Nouwen’s perspective, this work provides little. Rather, it offers an Oprah approach to the spiritual life – full of one-sided self-affirmation, devoid of content, watered-down - D. ( )
  bsanner | Jan 8, 2009 |
A thoughtful book on spiritual living for Christian and nonChristian alike. ( )
  thesmellofbooks | Dec 9, 2008 |
To Connie Ellis
in gratitude
Seit du mich darum gebeten hast, dir und deinen Freunden etwas über das geistliche Leben zu schreiben, beschäftigt mich die Frage, ob es ein Wort gibt, von dem ich möchte, dass es dir nach dem Lesen all dessen, was ich dir sagen möchte, im Gedächtnis haften bleibt.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0824519868, Paperback)

Initially written for a Jewish friend, Life of the Beloved has become Henri Nouwen’s greatest legacy to Christians around the world. This sincere testimony of the power and invitation of Christ is indeed a great guide to a truly uplifting spiritual life in today’s world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:11 -0400)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,504,806 books! | Top bar: Always visible