13 Minutes by Sarah Pinborough

13 Minutes (edition 2016)

by Sarah Pinborough (Author)

""Mean Girls for the Instagram age." --The Times (London) The New York Times bestselling author known for her thrilling twists is back: They say you should keep your friends close and your enemies closer, but when you're a teenage girl, it's hard to tell them apart. Natasha doesn't remember how she ended up in the icy water that night, but she does know this--it wasn't an accident, and she wasn't suicidal. Her two closest friends are acting strangely, and Natasha turns to Becca, the best friend she dumped years before when she got popular, to help her figure out what happened. Natasha's sure that her friends love her. But does that mean they didn't try to kill her? 13 Minutes is a psychological thriller with a killer twist from the #1 internationally bestselling author Sarah Pinborough"--… (more)
Member:tmoore318
Title:13 Minutes
Authors:Sarah Pinborough (Author)
Info:Gollancz (2016), 416 pages
Tags:to-read

13 Minutes by Sarah Pinborough

I was super excited to read this having LOVED "Behind Her Eyes". This one is a winner as well. Many twists and turns and I definately recommend. ( )
  Cr8on6 | Dec 27, 2020 |
I would need so much therapy if I lived Becca’s life. ( )
  amandanan | Jun 6, 2020 |
A rather unusual book. full of twists and turns. Not sure whether I enjoyed it or not.
  MaryBrigidTurner | Apr 22, 2020 |
I've read a few Sarah Pinborough books so when I saw 13 Minutes on one of my bookshop browsing sessions, without even reading the synopsis on the back, I just had to buy it. I find with Sarah Pinborough that you're always guaranteed something that little bit (or a lot in some cases) out of the ordinary. 13 Minutes is no exception as I tried to work out what had happened to Queen of the Barbies, Natasha Howland.

An early morning dog walker finds a body in the river and immediately calls the paramedics; after 13 minutes without oxygen the body is revived and Natasha Howland is brought back to life. She doesn't know how she ended up the river so several chapters contain transcripts of her visit to a psychologist along with text transcripts from her 'friends'. I love chapters like this as they bring an added sense of real life to the story. It's also good to look back on when 'all is revealed' to see what clues you missed along the way.

Natasha is THE most popular girl in school. In primary school she was best friends with Becca and the two girls were partial to a game of chess. When senior school came around, chess became uncool so Natasha dumped Becca for look-a-likes Hayley and Jenny. They collectively became known (thanks to Becca) as The Barbies. Becca becomes her own person without them and is happy with her boyfriend, Aiden, but when another body turns up in the river they have one thing in common - Aiden! Is Aiden being set up or is he the killer?

This is another cracking book by Sarah Pinborough. I think it might be sitting in the YA genre but it ventures enough into the dark side to appeal to adult readers. It is so very well played that it is very apt that chess is the game of choice within the book. One wrong move and the game is over. With psychologist statements and text messages throughout the book, the reader must gather the clues and make up their own mind...but will they get the right answer and find out what really happened to Natasha?

If Alfred Hitchcock had directed Mean Girls, you might get close to 13 Minutes. There is a tangible overhanging cloud of suspense and always the chance that somebody will get pushed in the river. The bitchiness of the school setting is fabulous as we follow the popular girls and we finally notice the invisible kids. It took me back (in the distant past) to my school days and I'm sure we were never as bad as this but then I look at my school photos and can't remember the names of everybody on there. Perhaps others can't remember my name so, for me, 13 Minutes gives a shout out for invisible girls everywhere - we can see you!

Definitely a recommended read for those readers who like something a bit on the dark side with lots of twists and surprises. ( )
  Michelle.Ryles | Mar 9, 2020 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

When Natasha is pulled out of the river she has been dead for 13 minutes. Miraculously she is revived and lives to find out how she ended up in the river, for she is sure it wasn't an accident and she wasn't suicidal.

As you try to solve the mystery together with Natasha's once best friend Becca, there will be suspicion on everyone and since it's teenage girls we're talking about, most of them you love to hate. The book actually had me guessing quite long what had happened, which was nice for a change. I also thought the description of how mean and selfish girls can be was pretty good.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |

Pinborough, Sarahprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jones, RosieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,602,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible