Danitra Brown Leaves Town by Nikki Grimes

Danitra Brown Leaves Town

by Nikki Grimes

Danitra Brown Leaves Town is the second in a series of books about a positive, quirky little girl named Danitra who will be separated from her best friend for the summer to visit family in the South. The Danitra Brown series is the prefect book for a child who may be a misfit but in a good way. Grimes ability to narrate these stories from the perspective of a little girl names Zuri, and also switch between her and little Danitra. ( )
  lpittman | Mar 21, 2017 |
Danitra and Zuri separate for the summer, and with the summer separation comes room for personal growth for both girls - a new friend for Zuri, new activities for Danitra. I could use this book to explore how friendships and people change. ( )
  Desirichter | Jul 3, 2014 |
This is a story about two good friends having to be split up because one is moving away. The two best friends learn to write back and forth so they can stay communicated with one another. I feel like most children can relate to this book, since many children have to leave town due to their families moving away. I actualy had a close friend, in the 6th grade, who had to move across the country because her family was moving. We tried to keep in touch, but it was very hard. I would recommend reading this book to young children. ( )
  mmgomez1 | Apr 26, 2012 |
I enjoy the continued friendship Danitra has with Zuri. Away for the summer they share through writings.The poems are just that of summertime and all its going on between the two friends. Floyd Cooper is a great illustrator. ( )
  sbiro | Oct 5, 2011 |
I really enjoyed this poetry book. It reads almost as a story and it is about two girls who are best friends who are separated for the summer. Danitra leaves on a family vacation and leaves Zuri behind. At first she is mad but as Danitra starts writing her letters the friendship blossoms and they share their summer with each other even though they are apart.
I liked that the poetry told a story and that we could really feel what the characters were going through. Because of this I think it would appeal to children and would be easy to understand as an early poetry lesson. The poems contain so little words but somehow bring so much meaning to the story.
I also liked the paintings that accompany the poems. They are beautiful and descriptive and help set the mood. ( )
  CarolyneBegin | May 25, 2011 |

It's summer vacation, but Zuri Jackson isn't happy. What will she do all summer long in the city when her best friend, Danitra. Brown, the most splendiferous girl in town, is off to visit her family in the country? Write, of course!

Through a series of letters, these two friends share with readers what childhood summers are made of. fireflies, Fourth of July, skies like a thick overcoat buttoned up with stars, family reunions, block parties, handball games...and coming back home, where true friendship always remains.

We met these two unforgettable best friends in the Coretta Scott King Honor Book Meet Danitra Brown. Now Nikki Grimes brings Danitra and Zuri back, in thirteen more spirited poems matched with Floyd Cooper's exuberant paintings.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:44 -0400)

Recounts, in a series of poems and letters, Danitra's summer at her aunt's house in the country and her best friend Zuri's summer at home in town.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,981,722 books! | Top bar: Always visible