National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds…

National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America

by National Geographic Society

1,120117,356 (4.18)7
Recently added byohdrat, private library, kuipers5, penrodbm, nirrad, Claspell, LemieuxS
    The Sibley Guide to Birds by David Allen Sibley (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: These two are, by popular concensus, the two top guides to the region's birds.

Great, if dated, field guide. This, the second edition, was published in 1987. Subsequent printings may have lead this book to be listed as having a publication date of 1999, but that doesn't mean the information in this book was current even in 1999. Several birds have been re-named and re-categorized (e.g. Green-backed heron listed is actually now recognized as two species: the Green Heron in North America and the Striated Heron in central and south America.) Range maps are dated. ( )
  breakerfallen | Apr 4, 2013 |
My favorite birding guide book. It has great pictures and descriptions. The blurbs with the range maps is fantastic and it has a lot of incidental species to South Texas (at least) that a lot of guide books lack since they are not "common enough", I guess.

There's a handy checklist in the back if you want to check off species as you see them, but since I'm a much more casual birder, I just write in the white space next to the bird where and when I saw it for the first time. ( )
  suzemo | Mar 31, 2013 |

suzemo | Mar 31, 2013 |
Excellent illustrations of each bird, including male and female as well as juvenile. There are illustrations of the birds in flight as well as on the ground. Maps on each page, show their range, so that you know immediately by your location if you might be looking at the correct bird. ( )
  bbrann907 | Jan 2, 2013 |
for my money, this is one of the better field guides out there. Quick reference inside the back cover, nice drawings and good descriptions. I carry this guide over all others. ( )
  clif_hiker | Dec 12, 2009 |
Introduction (p. 6): North America enjoys an abundance of bird life.

Aegolius

Reddish Egret

Ring-billed Gull

Rock Sandpiper

Roseate Tern

National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America continues to be the most sought-after, the most authoritative, and the easiest to access field guide to birds on the market. Now in its 4th Edition, revisions include 250 updated range maps, and new classification information National Geographic is reissuing the Field Guide to the Birds of North America in the 4th edition, focusing on its accuracy and easy use in the field. This is the ultimate birders field guide - sturdy, easy to carry and use, and featuring the most complete information among bird guides. It features all species known to breed in North America, including those that are regular visitors to our continent or that drop in occasionally - more than 800 in all. The edition is lavishly illustrated with specially commissioned full-colour illustrations, plus newly updated range maps and detailed descriptions. A superb new index allows birders in the field to quickly identify a species.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:36 -0400)

This field guide for serious birders combines accurate illustrations with useful maps and text in a portable format. Textual information includes notes on identification, behavior, habitat, and song; the illustrations depict individual species in varying plumages.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,115,113 books! | Top bar: Always visible