Undoing Gender by Judith Butler

Undoing Gender

by Judith Butler

Didn't read all of it because the library took it from me before… uhm, you know. Deeply impressed and sure that I'll read some of Butler's other books soon. ( )
  kthxy | May 6, 2016 |
Reviewed here.
  scott.neigh | Jan 15, 2012 |
This book forms the basis of my understanding of how a body becomes gendered, how grief is experienced, how we are built and dissembled and how that experiences informs our bodies, our lives, our genders. It teaches us that we are related and relational and that gender sits at the center of the phenomenon of being. ( )
  Magdelena | Feb 5, 2011 |
Judith Butler wordt gezien als dé grondlegster van moderne genderstudies, maar zoals steeds zijn haar boeken zeer moeilijk geschreven en zeer theoretisch - Judith Butler is seen as THE founding mother of modern gender studies, but as usual, her books are difficult to grasp and very theoretical. ( )
  Maretak | Dec 8, 2008 |
Butler again examines gender, sexual and identity. Reexamines her ideas of gender as performance. Probably best to be read after her early works. ( )
  Elishibai | May 5, 2007 |

Undoing Gender constitutes Judith Butler's recent reflections on gender and sexuality, focusing on new kinship, psychoanalysis and the incest taboo, transgender, intersex, diagnostic categories, social violence, and the tasks of social transformation. In terms that draw from feminist and queer theory, Butler considers the norms that govern--and fail to govern--gender and sexuality as they relate to the constraints on recognizable personhood. The book constitutes a reconsideration of her earlier view on gender performativity from Gender Trouble. In this work, the critique of gender norms is clearly situated within the framework of human persistence and survival. And to "do" one's gender in certain ways sometimes implies "undoing" dominant notions of personhood. She writes about the "New Gender Politics" that has emerged in recent years, a combination of movements concerned with transgender, transsexuality, intersex, and their complex relations to feminist and queer theory.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:29 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,560,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible