Desire Lines: A Novel by Christina Baker…

Desire Lines: A Novel

by Christina Baker Kline

This was a very absorbing book, but there were a few things that kept me from liking it more. First, Kathryn seemed older than she was supposed to be; although she was only supposed to be 28, she seemed middle-aged. But the main thing was that the solution to the mystery was pretty obvious from the very beginning, and I just kept waiting for Kathryn to figure it out. By the time she did, it felt like it was way too obvious for her to have missed for so long. ( )
  VintageReader | Jul 9, 2017 |
Not a very complex work of fiction, but it does not really pretend to be either. Readable. Easily forgotten once it is finished. ( )
  ChrisWay | Jul 5, 2016 |
*I don't like to write bad reviews, but this one is warranted* I really don't know where to begin when talking about this book. It was a struggle to read. I wanted to stop reading half a dozen times but urged myself ahead. This book is supposed to have a bit of mystery and suspense involved, but the story was so slow you hardly noticed. I started to not care if they ever found out how the victim disappeared. The best part of this book is by far the last 25-35 pages. This rest was boring and tiresome. ( )
1 vote jmach226 | Sep 26, 2014 |
I am torn about this book. There are ways that I really enjoyed it. I thought at places the dialogue fit completely and the exploration of the impact of the missing girl on everyone's life was interesting. Then there are ways that I also feel like it missed something, but I am not sure that I know what that was. It kept my attention. I wanted to keep reading to learn more about what was happening. But at the end, I didn't think - Wow! ( )
  jour149 | Aug 30, 2009 |
Basically, this book was the adult version of Nancy Drew. Cheesy. ( )
  kkhughes | Aug 13, 2008 |

Desire Lines is a taut, penetrating new novel filled with psychological suspense, sensitivity, and emotional complexity by the critically acclaimed author of Sweet Water.

On the night of her high school graduation in 1986, Kathryn Campbell's best friend, Jennifer, vanished without a trace. It's been ten years since then, but Kathryn still feels the conspicuous void in her life--- and the nagging, guilty sense that she has failed her friend.

When a divorce sends Kathryn reeling back to the Maine town where she grew up, the young journalist finds herself face-to-face with her past. At twenty-eight, she's been living for far too long on memories and questions; now she needs to take a hard look at her own life at the same time that she is delving into the mystery of what happened to her friend.

As she explores the seemingly random series of events that led up to Jennifer's disappearance, a pattern slowly begins to take shape. All the puzzle pieces are at her fingertips--it's a matter of whether Kathryn can put them together in a way that makes sense. As she faces her own fear and grief, she is finally able to come to terms with the ways in which the loss of her friend has shaped her life and the lives of those who knew her. In the process, Kathryn realizes that if she is ever going to understand the circumstances of Jennifer's disappearance, she is going to have to expose herself to the same risks and dangers. Ultimately, Kathryn's quest to find out the truth becomes a quest to save her own life as she races against time to keep Jennifer's fate from becoming hers. Desire Lines is a remarkable novel about friendship, memory, loss, and resurrection.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:18 -0400)

Journalist Kathryn Campbell of Maine uses a high-school reunion to investigate the disappearance of a classmate ten years earlier. Immediately, she receives a threatening message. By the author of Sweet Water.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,413,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible