The Weather in the Streets (Virago Modern…

The Weather in the Streets (Virago Modern Classics) (original 1936; edition 2006)

by Rosamond Lehmann

Member:SmithSJ01
Title:The Weather in the Streets (Virago Modern Classics)
Authors:Rosamond Lehmann
Info:Virago UK (2006), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:*
Tags:Unfinished, 2012 Reads, 2011 Reading Challenge

The Weather in the Streets by Rosamond Lehmann (1936)

A Pin to See the Peepshow by F. Tennyson Jesse (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Two books written by women and published in the 1930s which are both about women who find themselves trapped by the constraints of the society they live in and end up seeking happiness in ex-marital affairs. Both have been reissued by Virago press.

A dark, drifting narrative of erotic infatuation, disappointment, and psychic pain... Full review here:

rmaitzen | Feb 7, 2014 |
This is the sequel to "Invitation to the waltz", previous novel by Lehmann.
There is little to be found of that excitable creature, Olivia Curtis, who attended her first ball ten years ago and captured most of the readers' hearts in this new novel.
After a disastrous marriage, Olivia is returning home to visit her ill father, bumping into Rollo Spencer, her first love and seemingly twin soul, on the train.
Rollo is the same confident, attractive man, now married to Nicola, whereas Olivia is an "independent" woman interested in the new cultural movement of the big city: poets, painters and photographers are her acquaintances; she lives by the day without planning her future in the typical bohemian style.
Despite her apparently new appealing, Olivia is still the insecure and fearful creature who seeks approval and reassurance and, seeing Rollo after so many years arouse forgotten feelings in her, making her blunt and blind to the consequences of starting an affair with him.

What I most enjoyed about this novel is the way it's written because it gives you a real glimpse of how an affair might start and what it would actually be like. The book is no illusion, no sugary romance, no big drama, just life unfolded and steps taken and consequences to be dealt with. There's no judgement, only facts and again, the exposure of our weak and capricious souls, two adults playing a game we all know the result of.
Devastatingly cruel and sweet altogether, as life itself. ( )
  Luli81 | Apr 15, 2012 |
The Weather in the Streets is the sequel to Invitation to the Waltz, set ten years afterwards. When her father becomes ill, Olivia Curtis returns home, having just been through a disastrous marriage. On the train ride, he runs into an old acquaintance: Rollo Spencer, a married man with whom she has an affair.

I wanted to like this book; I really did. I think the major problem I had with this novel was that I felt so detached from the story and characters. Olivia is a passive observer in the novel, not an active participant, so it was hard for me to really get involved in her story. The thing that threw me off the most was the shift from third person to first person; it’s used intermittently for the first hundred pages or so and in earnest as soon as Olivia’s affair starts. Therefore, I saw the story from the outside rather than from Olivia’s point of view.

Rosamond Lehmann is good at constructing the details of the story, but I really found myself disliking Olivia as a person. Again, I wish I’d liked this book much more than I did! ( )
  Kasthu | Apr 1, 2012 |
Absolutely loved this book. I finished it (very) late last night and have been thinking about the characters on and off all day today. Surely that is a sign of a great book. Written in 1936 this novel was years ahead of it's time, with it's story of an extra marital affair, secret meetings and hotel rooms and the resulting consequences.

Olivia is ten years older than when we last met her in the also brilliant An invitation to the waltz. Her marriage has broken down, and she lives with her cousin Etty in a small London house, works for a photographer and associates with other artists and writers in a somewhat bohemian style existence. Things begin to change when she meet Rollo Spencer, whom she had fantasised about in her youth, on a train.

Like so many other authors of this period I have found the real brilliance of Rosamund Lehmann is in the detail - her writing is exquisite - but her sense of time and place, her characterisation, and the way in which those characters speak to the reader is just excellent. The way in which, for example, Rosamund Lehmann portrays Olivia's sister's children, as they play in the garden, in one small (not especially important) section is a fine example, it was just so beautifully written I was thoroughly impressed. ( )
2 vote Heaven-Ali | Nov 5, 2010 |
Brilliantly written novel ( )
  Welshwoman | Apr 16, 2010 |

Rosamond Lehmannprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Callil, CarmenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watts, JanetIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turning over in bed, she was aware of a summons: Rouse yourself.
The poet - and the novelist - may prove to be a prophet. (Introduction)

From the book cover:
"This is a love story of a sort. Taking up where Invitation to the Waltz left off, it tells the story of Olivia Curtis, ten years older, a failed marriage behind her, thinner, sadder, and apparently little wiser. A chance encounter on a train with a man who enchanted her as a teenager leads to an adulterous, forbidden love affair, and a new world of secret meetings, brief phone calls and snatched liaisons in anonymous hotel rooms. Years ahead of its time when first published, this subtle and powerful novel shocked even Lehmann fans with its searing honesty and passionate portrayal of clandestine love."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 086068203X, Paperback)

Taking up where Invitation to the Waltz left off, The Weather in the Streets shows us Olivia Curtis ten years older, a failed marriage behind her, thinner, sadder, and apprently not much wiser. A chance encounter on a train with a man who enchanted her as a teenager leads to a forbidden love affair and a new world of secret meetings, brief phone calls, and snatched liaisons in anonymous hotel rooms. Years ahead of its time when first published, this subtle and powerful novel shocked even the most stalwart Lehmann fans with its searing honesty and passionate portrayal of clandestine love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:51 -0400)

Olivia Curtis, heroine of 'Invitation to the Waltz', is now ten years older, and apparently not much wiser. A chance encounter on a train with a man who enchanted her as a teenager leads to a forbidden love affair and a new world of secret meetings. Originally published: London: Collins, 1936.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,480,249 books! | Top bar: Always visible