Close by Martina Cole

Close (2006)

by Martina Cole

It has been a while since I have read a Cole book, and while it was deliciously violent and full of character we would expect in the East End, it slighted in so much 'feelings' and explanations of feelings...in fact, how many times and how many characters shared their thoughts on Lance's 'weirdness' alone was doing my head in...OK, we get it.
But, aside of the apparent need to write more pages with unsolicited and irrelevant drivvle at times it was still a good book. But the judgement lies in that it took me a good two or three weeks to complete it, and if I really like a book it can be devoured in a matter of days.
Worth a look, but she has done others which kick it's arse. ( )
  scuzzy | Mar 31, 2012 |
Although I am a big fan of Martina Cole, this book seems to be written in a different style. I thought that she repeated herself too much in the book and I did not really enjoy this book as much as the others. There is a slight twist at the end but I basically guessed what was going to happen. After waiting for this book I was disapointed. ( )
  zara200uk | Mar 7, 2007 |

The #1 bestselling novelist in the UK now makes her U.S. debut with a hardhitting story that combines the brutality and deep family ties of The Sopranos with an unparalleled look at the underbelly of London's gang land.

Patrick Brodie is on the way up. He is a risk-taker like his alcoholic father, and knows exactly how far he is prepared to go to get what he wants. Before long, Patrick has ruthlessly taken out the old guard of the criminal underworld and become a legend in his own lifetime.

The kind of women he is normally attracted to have no foolish dreams of marriage, children, or, God help them, love. But Lily Diamond is different. There's something about her that has gotten under Patrick's skin, and all he can think about is making her happy and keeping her safe.

Eventually they settle down and have a family, and grow determined that their children will not have to face the same kind of lives they did. But then, the unthinkable happens, and everything is suddenly, irreversibly changed.

Spanning over forty years in the underbelly of crime, CLOSE is powerful, shocking, unsettling, and utterly addictive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:38 -0400)

Patrick Brodie is on the way up. He's a chancer, but unlike his drunkard father, he wants to make sure that anything he accrues stays close by. He also knows exactly how far he's prepared to go to get what he wants. Before long, Patrick has taken out the old guard and become a legend in his own lifetime.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,654,771 books! | Top bar: Always visible