The Thing in the Closet by Christopher Pike

The Thing in the Closet

by Christopher Pike

K, this book is way below my age group and reading level. It's written for junior high I guess? But I always liked these silly stories when growing up, grabbed a few of these at the librarys big year book sale, and LOVE Christopher Pike. The man can write for any age. I adore his older stuff, especially Whisper of the Death, one of the more haunting stories ever written. This took little time to read, of course, and Pike always writes well so I dug his writing style again as expected, even if it's "younged down." The story was actually creative too and the characters likeable. I'm not just saying that, they were.

Example:

They hiked for seemingly forever. Over the next few hours the green glow overhead dimmed more and then the sky eventually turned black. Without Watch's flashlight they would have been stuck in one spot. Now they just hoped the batteries held out, even though Watch said he had changed them not long ago.

"But I did put cheap batteries in," Watch admitted.

"There should be a rule against buying cheap batteries in Spooksville," Sally said. "We are always ending up in dark and dangerous places.

Anyway, the cover is atrocious instead of cheesily stimulating this time, but the story isn't as cheesy as expected. It's a typical adventure type tale with some horror tossed in. A guilty pleasure of mine for this kind of stuff. Think I'll ever grow out of? Kind of hope not.
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671002651, Mass Market Paperback)

When a terrible monster sneaks out of a closet and snatches one of their companions, Adam and his friends become terrified of going to bed and turning out their lights and begin surreptitiously locking their closet doors. Original."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:01 -0400)

Like most people Cindy is a little afraid of a dark closet. She knows there can't be anything there. But, in Spooksville, it just might be.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,403,537 books! | Top bar: Always visible