Orthodoxy by G. K. Chesterton

Orthodoxy (1908)

by G. K. Chesterton

English (25)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (27)
I like this book. This is an easy and quick book to get a 'dose' of Chesterton's writing style - and his firm logic. Granted that he writes with a thickness and he is dealing with issues of his day in the words of his day, but his points are very much still relevant. To read Chesterton you must read slowly and with a pen in hand to mark his points. ( )
  rcalbright | Sep 5, 2017 |
The first time I listened to this, it was with a computer generated voice reading it. Not very satisfactory, but enough good to make me buy the paper version. Then I saw that there was an Audible version read by Simon Vance, one of my favorite narrators, that's the one I just listened to.

I am still left feeling that this is a book I need to read in paper format. It is so full of meaty thoughts that I need to digest them slowly. I may have a bone or two to pick with him. Honestly, I may agree with Chesterton about everything, or I may not, but to hear his persuasive words in the lovely voice of Simon Vance, well, it was a pleasure and I kept getting lost in the pleasure of it but not being exactly sure I understood what was being said.

This is a book I think every "modern thinker," agnostic and atheist should read, along with those who call themselves Christians, if only because it clarifies the thought processes and causes one to dig a little deeper into why they believe what they believe, whether they agree with Chesterton or not. If they don't agree of course, they are going to be a bit miffed at his treatment of them, in that case, probably you should read the paper version so you can write angry notes in the margin. Otherwise, if you are walking and listening to the audio and making angry remarks, people will think you are mental. ( )
  MrsLee | Jul 28, 2017 |
Chesterton at his philosophical best. He presents his personal arguments for the existence of God and skewers all the puffed up, empty-headed modern philosophers and worthless aristocrats and oligarchs. His wit is as fresh and sharp as Mark Twain's. ( )
  bness2 | May 23, 2017 |
Christian apologetics in the mode of C.S. Lewis, but with a bit more of an edge. Chesterton is funny and insightful, but I found his take on British imperialism and European superiority will be jarring and likely offputting. Still, it's a rousing defense of religion in general and Christianity in particular. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |
The ONLY thing I am going to say about this book is:

I DISLIKED it.

I am not your mind so as many others have done. Read it you might like it too!

Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |

Chesterton, G. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hattrup, Dietermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yancey, PhilipIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is meant to be a companion to “Heretics,” and to put the positive side in addition to the negative.
We have come to the wrong star ... That is what makes life at once so splendid and so strange. The true happiness is that we don't fit. We come from somewhere else. We have lost our way.
Life is not an illogicality; yet it is a trap for logicians. It looks just a little more mathematical and regular than it is; its exactitude is obvious, but its inexactitude is hidden; its wildness lies in wait.
Madmen never have doubts.
Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385015364, Paperback)

If G.K. Chesterton's Orthodoxy: The Romance of Faith is, as he called it, a "slovenly autobiography," then we need more slobs in the world. This quirky, slender book describes how Chesterton came to view orthodox Catholic Christianity as the way to satisfy his personal emotional needs, in a way that would also allow him to live happily in society. Chesterton argues that people in western society need a life of "practical romance, the combination of something that is strange with something that is secure. We need so to view the world as to combine an idea of wonder and an idea of welcome." Drawing on such figures as Fra Angelico, George Bernard Shaw, and St. Paul to make his points, Chesterton argues that submission to ecclesiastical authority is the way to achieve a good and balanced life. The whole book is written in a style that is as majestic and down-to-earth as C.S. Lewis at his best. The final chapter, called "Authority and the Adventurer," is especially persuasive. It's hard to imagine a reader who will not close the book believing, at least for the moment, that the Church will make you free. --Michael Joseph Gross

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:18 -0400)

In his scintillating prose, one of the 20th century's great writers explains the values and ideals that constitute the foundation of Christianity. Chesterton adopts an informal style in his scholarly arguments in favor of faith as an affirmation of human freedom - with ample doses of analogy, imagery, personal anecdotes, and humor.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,451,011 books! | Top bar: Always visible