Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

About Grace: A Novel by Anthony Doerr

About Grace: A Novel (edition 2015)

by Anthony Doerr (Author)

The first novel by the author of the acclaimed Pulitzer Prize-winning #1 New York Times bestseller All the Light We Cannot See, one of the most beautiful, wise, and compelling debuts of recent times. David Winkler begins life in Anchorage, Alaska, a quiet boy drawn to the volatility of weather and obsessed with snow. Sometimes he sees things before they happen--a man carrying a hatbox will be hit by a bus; Winkler will fall in love with a woman in a supermarket. When David dreams that his infant daughter will drown in a flood as he tries to save her, he comes undone. He travels thousands of miles, fleeing family, home, and the future itself, to deny the dream. On a Caribbean island, destitute, alone, and unsure if his child has survived or his wife can forgive him, David is sheltered by a couple with a daughter of their own. Ultimately it is she who will pull him back into the world, to search for the people he left behind. Doerr's characters are full of grief and longing, but also replete with grace. His compassion for human frailty is extraordinarily moving. In luminous prose, he writes about the power and beauty of nature and about the tiny miracles that transform our lives. About Grace is heartbreaking, radiant, and astonishingly accomplished.… (more)
Member:katriendc
Title:About Grace: A Novel
Authors:Anthony Doerr (Author)
Info:Scribner (2015), Edition: Reprint, 432 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*1/2

About Grace by Anthony Doerr

Recently added bycjw509, Lweb80, private library, smgaines, katriendc, RachOVac, JJGeevs, GLRussell

English (30)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (36)
I really liked this novel. It kept me enthralled until the end. it is so beautifully descriptive. Doerr has such a talent for natural detail. Someone wrote' Equal parts science and magic." The main character David feels like it doesn't matter what he has done, the outcome was independent of choice but then things begin to change and he takes responsibility for his life. He goes through hell first and a journey that takes him to Alaska, Ohio and the Caribbean. He nearly dies himself a number of times. A novel of heartbreak and self forgiveness and snow !!! ( )
  Smits | May 31, 2020 |
Beautifully written and engaging story line. ( )
  SarahStenhouse | Nov 17, 2019 |
I made a huge mistake while reading "About Grace". I kept comparing it to "All the Light We Cannot See" which I had read before and enjoyed immensely. I know I should not have done that but it was not a conscious comparison. I had huge expectations which were probably unreasonable. Maybe that's the reason why I did not enjoy this book as much as I thought it would.
That being said, the writing is beautiful. The descriptions are amazing. And if you do not make the same mistake as mine, this book could be an enjoyable read. ( )
  QuietWinters | Jul 31, 2019 |
  IlsaK | Jul 6, 2019 |
Wrenching and exquisite, Doerr manages to make tremendously varried plot, setting, and characters seem inevitable yet unpredictable. Sentence to sentence the prose shines. An overpowering, understated book. Worth it for the water. ( )
  Eoin | Jun 3, 2019 |
About Grace is about David Winkler, a man crippled and made fearful by the accuracy of his dreamed premonitions — a man who foresees future events and who is then constrained to watch them unfold.
added by stephmo | editThe Spectator (Jan 29, 2005)

Wouldn't it be useful to see the future when making choices about finance, marriage or the job market? But David Winkler, a meteorologist from Alaska, is completely crippled by his prophetic dreams.
added by stephmo | editThe Guardian, Rachel Hore (Jan 1, 2005)

In his first novel, ''About Grace,'' Anthony Doerr drags his protagonist, David Winkler, over a fair few hot coals: 25 years of exile as a dogsbody in a new hotel in St. Vincent in the Caribbean, a near-drowning experience, malnutrition, a clinically debilitating journey in a clapped-out Datsun across the vastness of America, an Alaskan winter in an unheated shed, gradual loss of eyesight, an alienated daughter he abandoned when she was a few months old. The comparisons with Lear are flickering and fugitive but inevitable.

In his intriguing but ultimately disappointing first novel, Anthony Doerr gives us David Winkler, an otherwise ordinary man whose dreams literally come true. When he dreams that a man carrying a hatbox will be struck and killed by a bus at a nearby intersection, it comes to pass just as he imagined. When he dreams that a woman wearing polyester pants will drop a magazine at the Snow Goose Market, she drops it -- and he falls in love.

David Winkler, the 59-year-old protagonist of Anthony Doerr's debut novel, About Grace, is a dreamer but not, alas, of the carefree, California kind. Instead Winkler is a modern-day Cassandra who dreams about future events -- some momentous, some trivial -- and when he tries to warn people, he meets, for the most part, with incredulity and skepticism.

There must be some definite cause why, whenever snow begins to fall, its initial formation invariably displays the shape of a six-cornered starlet. For if it happens by chance, why do they not fall just as well with five corners or with seven? . . .Who carved the nucleus, before it fell, into six horns of ice?
-From "On the The Six-cornered Snowflake,"
by Johannes Kepler, 1610
for my mother and father
He made his way through the concourse and stopped by a window to watch a man with two orange wands wave a jet into its gate.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,545,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible