The Legend of Bagger Vance : A Novel of Golf…

The Legend of Bagger Vance : A Novel of Golf and the Game of Life (edition 1999)

by Steven Pressfield

Member:ChelleBearss
Title:The Legend of Bagger Vance : A Novel of Golf and the Game of Life
Authors:Steven Pressfield
Info:

The Legend of Bagger Vance: A Novel of Golf and the Game of Life by Steven Pressfield

Although they were two completely different stories, this is one of those rare occasions (The Shawshank Redemption comes to mind) when the book and movie do not match but both are superbly told stories. I wouldn't change either and I feel uplifted by the two.

The book is far more supernatural and spiritual than the movie and (given my own skepticism and atheism) I was surprised to find that I enjoyed this fictional tale immensely. On previous occassions, I have tried reading books with similar themes and they've always fallen short. Until now, I chalked it up to my own personal doubts and agnosticism.

But now I know that if the story is good enough, I can let go of my unbelief and surrender to the story teller. That is a comforting feeling and in its own way, has a kind of spiritual virtue in and of itself which I would have denied even existed prior to discovering the genius of Steven Pressfield. I want more! ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
Good Book ( )
  brone | Oct 26, 2010 |
The Legend of Bagger Vance by Steven Pressfield was ok, not wonderful. It reads like a fantasy/philosophy story that is well excuted, but the religious/philosophical portions are jumbled. It is a little like: let's put some ancient Greek ideas of religion, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Christianity (and golf) in a pot and see what we cook up. Some of its sentiments, like God is always with you etc., are nice. But I can't quite say I enjoyed the book as a whole. ( )
  Voracious_Reader | Jun 6, 2010 |
Great story, well told. You'll get the most out of it if you've played golf but you can still enjoy it if you've watched it on TV. Uses golf as a metaphor for life. ( )
  Neale | Jun 21, 2008 |
Wonderfully written. The tale of a young boy & his brush with the some of the greatest golfers (& one caddy) to play the game. ( )
  buckeyeaholic | Jul 18, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038072751X, Paperback)

In the Depression year of 1931, on the golf links at Krewe Island off Savannah's windswept shore, two legends of the game--Bobby Jones and Walter Hagen--meet for a mesmerizing thirty-six-hole showdown. Another golfer will also compete--a troubled local war hero, once a champion, who comes with his mentor and caddie, the mysterious Bagger Vance. It is Vance, sage and charismatic, who will ultimately guide the match, for he holds the secret of the Authentic Swing. And he alone can show his protege the way back to glory.

Written in the spirit of Gold in the Kingdom and The Natural, The Legend of Bagger Vance reveals the true nature of the game in a story that is unforgettable.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:45 -0400)

Golf and the game of life. The protagonist is Rannulph Junah, Southern aristocrat and World War I hero. In a tournament in Savannah, he defeats two golf pros by following the teachings of his guru, Bagger Vance, a black mystic serving as his caddie. A metaphysical fable.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,812,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible